• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
I'm not sure if I am anywhere close with all this but just throwing ideas...

Tuning wise - what about softer coils? I would thing a softer coil then add a second spring inside your shocks (above or below the piston) should fix just about everything bc your fully controlling rebound and compression.

For your steering - could you not move the axle side coil mount behind the the axle instead of over top? Should allow the small amount of WB increase to help.

I realize none of these are quick and easy fixes but it seems you like having your coils. I have faith they could hold their own but I think coilovers would look just as sexy and it's the natural progression.

I'm not sure if I am anywhere close with all this but just throwing ideas...

Tuning wise - what about softer coils? I would thing a softer coil then add a second spring inside your shocks (above or below the piston) should fix just about everything bc your fully controlling rebound and compression.

For your steering - could you not move the axle side coil mount behind the the axle instead of over top? Should allow the small amount of WB increase to help.

I realize none of these are quick and easy fixes but it seems you like having your coils. I have faith they could hold their own but I think coilovers would look just as sexy and it's the natural progression.
Thanks for the suggestions doublej.
Yes, I believe coils inside the shocks would help. I have not been able to find anything that is strong enough to fit inside the HPI shocks though. I know War Pig has used springs inside of smaller shocks, I just have not put enough effort into it i guess. :ror:

The coil mounts have already been cheated back. Look closely at the pic of the axle in post #1242. The center of the mount is at the trailing edge of the tube, not in the center. I wouldn't want to move it back any farther because I think it would look strange and I might end up limiting my steering by hitting the shock since it would have to move back also.

I appreciate the help but I got the front end figured out tonight. All it took was one simple part that I didn't even think of until I got done whining today. I've got all the suspension travel up front and enough steering throw to rub the lugs on the lower links. "thumbsup"
The rear end will stay with coilovers for this weekend, I want to see if they are an improvement. I'll update with some pics tomorrow night.

Don't know if I'll get any updates tonight. I've been on flood duty around my house.
It took me over 2 hours to get home from work (normally 25 minutes) because all the roads were flooded. I had to drive almost to Denver just to find an open road to get to I-25 and then back north to get home.

I've been digging drainage ditches around my house to get water to flow away from the foundation. We are supposed to get the worst rain tonight.

Don't know if I'll get any updates tonight. I've been on flood duty around my house.
It took me over 2 hours to get home from work (normally 25 minutes) because all the roads were flooded. I had to drive almost to Denver just to find an open road to get to I-25 and then back north to get home.

I've been digging drainage ditches around my house to get water to flow away from the foundation. We are supposed to get the worst rain tonight.

We're hearing and seeing the news in CO. Take care of yourself, your family and your property. Be smart and safe. Mother nature doesn't care. Plan for the worst. I've had a lot of experience with flooding, and the best thing you can do is get your valuables high, keep your vehicles out of water at all costs (even if it means missing work) and stay as far away from the fast moving water as you can. Best of luck dealing with this rash of horrible weather. Greg

We're hearing and seeing the news in CO. Take care of yourself, your family and your property. Be smart and safe. Mother nature doesn't care. Plan for the worst. I've had a lot of experience with flooding, and the best thing you can do is get your valuables high, keep your vehicles out of water at all costs (even if it means missing work) and stay as far away from the fast moving water as you can. Best of luck dealing with this rash of horrible weather. Greg
Thanks Greg. I've lived in CO for 40+ years and have never experienced anything like this. Though I did learn a bit about flooding when I lived in Houston for a couple years.
Luckily our house is far enough from the river and on high enough ground that the only real threat right now is basement flooding. My ditches have been working good and are directing gutter flow out to the street and down the hill in our back yard. I also went around and filled in dirt anywhere I found a puddle forming near the foundation. It's not much but my hope is that it's enough to prevent "the straw that breaks the camel's back".

The south side of town is dealing with full on flooding and evacuations. It's not bad on the north side here, but we are completely cut off from everything. There are no passable roads out of the north side to any town. I could prolly get across some of the roads because of my truck with 38's and 10" of lift, but the police won't let me try. I asked the State Trooper to let me try yesterday as I was trying to get back home but he said no. :ror:

We went to the store yesterday and bought enough food for a week or so, the store ran out of bottled water while we were there, we have water stored if necessary. It's just crazy to be in a situation like this, you hear about it all across the country but until you are in it you just don't know what it's like.

I took a few pics as I was driving to and back from work yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0039 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0039 (Custom).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 991
  • IMG_0040 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0040 (Custom).JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_0041 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0041 (Custom).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 990
  • IMG_0044 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0044 (Custom).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 996
  • IMG_0048 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0048 (Custom).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0049 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0049 (Custom).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_0052 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0052 (Custom).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0053 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0053 (Custom).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_0054 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0054 (Custom).JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0056 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0056 (Custom).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0057 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0057 (Custom).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_0058 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0058 (Custom).JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_0059 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0059 (Custom).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 962
Last edited:
hey griz,

did you happen to get into a fight with your windshield lol.... nice cracks....

tho... i know u dont wanna replace it and lose the RCC sticker huh. lol

hey griz,

did you happen to get into a fight with your windshield lol.... nice cracks....

tho... i know u dont wanna replace it and lose the RCC sticker huh. lol
:lmao: Yeah, it's pretty bad. The RCC sticker is finally old and cracking enough that I'm ok with replacing it now. Just need a good time to spend the $500 bucks on it now.

OUCH....my is always free... i get a new one every year in my jeeps.... love that act of god insurance lol

Ok. So the flood is receding and being home for 3 days gave me some time to work on stuff.

Here is the steering fix:

The key to getting full steering was to drop the pitman arm down with the white spacer. Without the spacer the rod end on the bellcrank arm would hit the bumper tube and limit the steering. I couldn't run the spacer when I went to NWSC last year.

IMG_0030Custom_zps96db01dd.jpg

With the pitman arm dropped down this is what the clearance is to the tie rod at full bump.
IMG_0032Custom_zps23d8511a.jpg

IMG_0033Custom_zpsfea6b818.jpg

IMG_0034Custom_zps937982ba.jpg

and full left articulation.
IMG_0035Custom_zps5853984f.jpg

Here is the part that fixed everything. An Axial offset rod end on the drag link.
With a regular rod end the drag link would try to occupy the same space as the panhard mount on the axle. I would then have to rotate the axle back to fix this, causing the tie rod to hit the pitman arm.
Now it clears well at ride height.
IMG_0036Custom_zps5eb062a8.jpg

You can see where it was a real problem at full right turn, full right articulation. It's all good now.
IMG_0037Custom_zps6c66e576.jpg

IMG_0038Custom_zps216e6e66.jpg

With that Axial rod end on the drag link everybody happy, happy, happy.
I found some smaller diameter coil springs that I think look a bit more scale. I made some new capture mounts for them.

IMG_0040Custom_zps66303d21.jpg

Stay tuned for pics of the new wheels. They are bad ass. I am really loving how the look is coming together this time. "thumbsup"
IMG_0042Custom_zps5e7b0bdd.jpg

Always frustrating working out clearances and bump steer etc... but I do like the new colour scheme Grizzly and still one of my favorite rigs ...8)
Great work buddy....;-)

Always frustrating working out clearances and bump steer etc... but I do like the new colour scheme Grizzly and still one of my favorite rigs ...8)
Great work buddy....;-)
Thanks Warren.

Yes, it can be frustrating huh, but rewarding when you get it worked out. I love it.

I'm still kicking around ideas on the paint. I want to make it pop but keep some sinister. The new look makes me much happier than the copper and black. "thumbsup"

The smaller diameter springs look great. I Knew you would figure it out. This rig is a great inspiration and I'm taking a few things from this and using them on my coil sprung TTC rig.

Rig lookin wicked as always man. I've been a fan of guido since it was in rccrawler magazine many years ago. Only one question where did you get those brake disks. Keep up the good work and glad the water is going down around y'all.

Sent from my iPhone in the shop

The smaller diameter springs look great. I Knew you would figure it out. This rig is a great inspiration and I'm taking a few things from this and using them on my coil sprung TTC rig.
Thanks Adam. Go ahead and use any ideas you want. I love to see people make stuff work for their rigs, especially the coil springs. I'd love to see more rigs with them. "thumbsup"
Rig lookin wicked as always man. I've been a fan of guido since it was in rccrawler magazine many years ago. Only one question where did you get those brake disks. Keep up the good work and glad the water is going down around y'all.

Sent from my iPhone in the shop
Thanks ford. I still struggle deciding if I should go back to the yellow/purple paint job. Thanks for the kind words, I was lucky enough to unknowingly buy a house on high ground and a safe distance from the lakes and rivers in town.

The brake disks are from RPP Hobby. I ordered them to give them a try on my son's 1.9 Wraith and borrowed them to try on Guido. They work great with wheels using Vanquish SLW hubs but you gotta be careful with other wheels as you might not get full engagement of the hex.
have some more info about them in my 1.9 Wraith thread.

Last edited:
Guido is tue reason I got into rc after seeing him in rc car action. Ive always wanted a rig like it so I started building one a few months ago. Its not as pretty as Guido but its getting there. Here is a older picture.

a6a7uqu6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Guido is tue reason I got into rc after seeing him in rc car action. Ive always wanted a rig like it so I started building one a few months ago. Its not as pretty as Guido but its getting there. Here is a older picture.

Hey, TLT axles! That's awesome!

It don't matter what it looks like as long as you enjoy it. Sometimes I wish Guido was more simple like your rig, but I enjoy tinkering too much. "thumbsup"

Hey, TLT axles! That's awesome!

It don't matter what it looks like as long as you enjoy it. Sometimes I wish Guido was more simple like your rig, but I enjoy tinkering too much. "thumbsup"

The tlt's are cool but im having a problem with my tires being so tall they limit the articulation cause they hit the springs. It is a fun truck to drive when I have more time ill throw a cage on it and get rid of the ford body. The bronco was a last resort cause the hobby shop was out of ram charger bodies lol.

Thanks for the info on the brake disks. The yellow and purple looked killer but the new paint scheme looks way to sinister to change back now. "thumbsup"

Glad you worked things out Griz! It's not like you're new to thinking outside the box, but sometimes you have to take your head out of the build and the next thing you know...ideas become reality. That moment when it all works is such a relief. Glad you stuck with it!...and made it through the floods as well.8)

Back