• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

I would definitely stay with the 5x11. Just going down to a 5x10 bearing you cut the load handling about in half :shock: These heavy scale rigs already EAT bearings under big power. I believe a 5x11 will hold about 80+ lbs and a 5x10 is in the 40-50lb range. I would have to double check my numbers though, was just talking with VP about this yesterday in reference to the EXO knuckles. Axial dropped down to a 5x10 on the front side I believe.
Good point Harley. But this is the bearing at the Chub, all it does is support the inner shaft. I don't see how it supports any of the rig's weight. The weight of the rig is carried by the bearings in the knuckles.

re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Good point Harley. But this is the bearing at the Chub, all it does is support the inner shaft. I don't see how it supports any of the rig's weight. The weight of the rig is carried by the bearings in the knuckles.

I agree it's not really supporting the weight and that bearing isn't in the highest load area near it. I still just don't trust going to weaker bearing sizes anywhere near my front axle. Tough call, glad it's you doing it and not me :mrgreen:

I agree it's not really supporting the weight and that bearing isn't in the highest load area near it. I still just don't trust going to weaker bearing sizes anywhere near my front axle. Tough call, glad it's you doing it and not me :mrgreen:
I like being a guinea pig. :ror:

It occurred to me that SDS did something similar on the AX10 super 300's. He went to an 11x6 bearing because of the larger shaft diameter. Logic says the balls inside an 11x6 will be the same size as a 10x5. I've never had any issue with the bearings in my AX10/Super 300 axles so I think I'm good.

My logic may or may not be flawed, but I'm gonna run with it. :ror:

Didn't consider that either but it's the predicament your in with the small diameter tubes. In this case I think you are gonna want the thicker material on your tube and sacrifice a little bearing strength. Bearings are cheap, and if you crack or break the tube right there that will be a much bigger setback. That's where all the force is put on a steering housing also. Plus your dividing that load out there with both the bearings in the knuckle and the one in the end of the tube.
Give me a shout and I'll hook you up next time you're ready for some custom housings.

Carter Fab & Machine: Hand Made Customs

Didn't consider that either but it's the predicament your in with the small diameter tubes. In this case I think you are gonna want the thicker material on your tube and sacrifice a little bearing strength. Bearings are cheap, and if you crack or break the tube right there that will be a much bigger setback. That's where all the force is put on a steering housing also. Plus your dividing that load out there with both the bearings in the knuckle and the one in the end of the tube.
Give me a shout and I'll hook you up next time you're ready for some custom housings.

Excellent point. I do want the tubes to be as strong as possible.
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know on the housings. 8)

I just got back from a run to Hobbytown. I picked up 4 of the 10x5 bearings and I also found some 17/32" K&S brass tubing. The tubing is .503" ID and .531" OD so it will make a perfect shim for the Chubs. I'll only have to remove a tiny bit of the splines.

I love it when a plan comes together......:ror:

Lucky find for sure. Grab some emery cloth, 200-280grit, and just polish some off the OD of the brass tube. Be easier than trying to set up and take a tiny bit out of the c hubs. Make the bushing press inside the c hub since it is gonna have some clearance on the housing tube. Otherwise I think it will try and roll up the edge when you install the c hub onto the axle tube if you do it vice versa. Know what I mean?

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

Lucky find for sure. Grab some emery cloth, 200-280grit, and just polish some off the OD of the brass tube. Be easier than trying to set up and take a tiny bit out of the c hubs. Make the bushing press inside the c hub since it is gonna have some clearance on the housing tube. Otherwise I think it will try and roll up the edge when you install the c hub onto the axle tube if you do it vice versa. Know what I mean?

Yup, taking down the OD of the brass is a better idea. "thumbsup"

Just wanted to post and say thanks to everyone for their support in the NWSC TTC voting. I am honored to be among the top 5 in votes. I'm really glad that so many people still enjoy Guido. 8)

I still hope to build a rig as epic as Guido one day.

but you keep raising that bar. :shock:

How you coming on the housing fab. I whipped up a little somethin somethin today, maybe it will get your butt in gear.
It's wraith width but believe this is where you're headed.
a9c558f4.jpg

How you coming on the housing fab. I whipped up a little somethin somethin today, maybe it will get your butt in gear.
a9c558f4.jpg

That with XR shafts would be epic...

a9c558f4.jpg

Ohh! Well in that case, I can make them any width. This was built from new parts that I had accumulated and I love the size of the Wraith.
Derailment over. Paging Grizz!! Updates please!!

No worries, there is plenty of derailment in this thread. :ror:
That is a great looking housing. "thumbsup" I appreciate the motivation.

I took a couple evenings to hang out with the family and go to the rodeo with them last night. Good times. I had to help a friend put new brakes on his vehicle today but I got a bit of work done.

First I got a delivery from RPP Hobby and Vanquish Products today. You gotta love the quick shipping from these guys. "thumbsup"
IMG_0018.jpg

Gotta have some Vanquish bling. "thumbsup"
IMG_0019.jpg

My favorite diff covers. Got the wife's approval to buy these. "thumbsup"
IMG_0020.jpg

I thought these might come in handy in the battle for the concourse award. Norm is not gonna make it easy. 8)
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Tacking up the axle truss.
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

Right now I'm doing the finish welding on the truss. More updates to come. 8)

Last edited:
Lookin good. Looks like mini version of mine. I cheated and milled my truss from solid stock though. How are you gonna do your upper links?
4f454644.jpg

Thanks Clay.
Yeah, milling it from solid stock would be easier. But I like welding better than standing in front of the mill. :ror:

This is going to be the front axle, and because of the steering, I think I will only have room for a 3-link. So I will just have to cut out one upper link mount.

Thanks Clay.
Yeah, milling it from solid stock would be easier. But I like welding better than standing in front of the mill. :ror:

This is going to be the front axle, and because of the steering, I think I will only have room for a 3-link. So I will just have to cut out one upper link mount.

I hear ya, but we are opposites there. Haha!! I love machining things and hate welding this tiny stuff. My front is also a 3-link but my diff is offset.
eca5dd86.jpg

You can do the same style mount even though it won't be as centered as mine. I did mine more centered, cuz I was to lazy to make new links, and now I'm heading to the machine shop to make all new links. DOH!!!!
Get a final weight on the assembly if you could. My front came in at exactly 1lb dressed out. It does have a steel highland crawlers HD locker and that's pretty heavy on its own.

This is as much as I can do on the front axle until I get the tubes bored out for the bearings. I'm reall happy with how it's turning out though.
IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Whoops! I accidentally cut off the back of the chassis again. I gotta be more careful during these rebuilds. :ror:

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

I cut off the back end of the aluminum frame rails and replaced them with tube
IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

New coil bucket braces.
IMG_0037.jpg

The new tube rails extend the wheelbase by 1/2" in the rear. I am building a battery box behind the cage and the big tires hit it under articulation and full steer. Plus I figure a 14" wheelbase will work well with the big tires :twisted: and help compensate for the slightly taller ride height.
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

I also got one of the new roof panels done with a built in tail light mount.
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Last edited:
Are you just pressing the tubes in or are you also bolting. Welding around that plastic ought to be fun. I always use a water bottle with a pin hole in the cap to use as a squirt bottle.
Truss turned out nice as well as the new style roof panels.
I'm ready to see pics of this rig moving again. This is the rig that started my scale obsession.

Back