• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series (with Video)

Aeronuclear

Rock Stacker
Hi all,

Have been away from this forum due to work, family etc for a while, but with the lockdown, I have a bit of time to come back to this hobby.

I got an FTX mini (UK) or being named the RGT Barage elsewhere as a 2017 birthday present. First run was disappointed so didn't use it since. I then encountered a YouTube video of someone swapping a Tamiya low speed motor into this FTX so got one of those (motor pictured below). This motor has then been sat for another few year until a month ago.

Personnally I love Toyota Land Cruiser and I have a 90 series 1:1. Hence I got an 80 series 1/24 scale FUJIMI model on my 2018 birthday.

This again has been sat for a few years.

First I assembly the Tamiya motor, quite simple and straightforward, the challenge was to drill a tiny 1.5mm hole in the TAMIYA 3mm motor shaft to allow the FTX drive shaft to be installed to the new motor.

I then created a cut out steel to house the motor into the existing motor mount from the FTX, I have to trim short the drive shaft front and back to fit this motor in, otherwise it binds as the motor is bigger than the original.

Motor installed.

Next is my Toyota body, I decided to go for black. But I didn't do a good paint work this time, was quite disappointed but hey it's still fun!

Primer first then black coat:

You can see some bubbly paint at the bonnet... But I went with it, didn't bother re-painted.

Then find ways to mount the body onto the FTX, I have also found an old bull bar from my mini Z Overland days nd it fits the size of this.

Also got myself the FTX 2.0 wheels and tyres. Much better than the original ones (which were glued on).

And more photos:

Then ready for some action:

WITH the VIDEO! Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHRxv86QH0

Last edited:
Re: FTX Mini with Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series

Very cool micro project! Nice job. "thumbsup"

Very cool micro project! Nice job. "thumbsup"

The torque from the TAMIYA motor is amazing.. This is only the second level, I can increase the Torque more but it will slow down the truck so sticking with this gear at the moment. Fun enough...

The torque from the TAMIYA motor is amazing.. This is only the second level, I can increase the Torque more but it will slow down the truck so sticking with this gear at the moment. Fun enough...

Good to know. I sacrificed a Sumo style transmission for my Barrage. I could use this tranny to lower those extra axles then.

Love me some TLC, too.

In fact I was confident that the Tamiya motor is so good that I bought 2 and pop the other in my Rc4wd 1/18: the motor has 4 gears so I know I can select the appropriate one. You have to take the motor out to change the gear but I know I have options.

Video of the Rc4wd with the same motor and at the same slope.

https://youtu.be/6w6YE4pB0k0

Back