• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Demo's upcoming Mantis build

Small update. Got a text from Amazon that my ESCs had been delivered:thumbup: but they were at the hotel I stay at in WV and I had already headed south to miss the storm coming in:thumbdown:
On a good note I did come home to find this.
u8edyqe6.jpg

Hopefully she will be up and running next weekend!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Got around to messing with the XR a little tonight. Custom bent some Ti upper links to replace the stock delrin links that would get into the cab on articulation.
ty9u5e7u.jpg

Installed RR battery cover.
aqegyzy2.jpg

And changed up the cab color to match the VP red anodized accessories. Nice and dark, better than the bright red.
a3e6ezan.jpg

a9a2y3uq.jpg

Great job on the color match, that looks killer! As do ur ti uppers, any flex shots showing clearance?

What size bat are you running in that front battery cage?

Havent come up with any good ideas for panels. Thinking pretty minimal though.

These were waiting for me today :D cant wait to get home and get them wired up. Thats the last piece of the puzzle minus setup and tuning :beer:
ahu8u3u6.jpg

Looks like it's time to melt some plastic and burn some fingers. "thumbsup"

Wow bud,

Looks awesome, great detail with the color matching it looks freakin sweet with the VP items make it look perfect. The links look great too!

LIK

Ok I got mine done. Just using cheap ass Novak and 55 rock stars for now. Still works bomb though but drag brakes could be way better. I've crawled it a few times and all I can say is wow. This thing crawls bad ass. I'm now able to do stuff that makes me say wow out loud. Seriously I was crawling it today and it did some amazing lines...I actually said wow out loud even though I was crawling by myself lol. Here is some pics.
3eju2yje.jpg
gu5eby3a.jpg
ega4a5az.jpg
4y6y3e9e.jpg
ve7evu3a.jpg
4ase3aqe.jpg

Ok I got mine done. Just using cheap ass Novak and 55 rock stars for now. Still works bomb though but drag brakes could be way better. I've crawled it a few times and all I can say is wow. This thing crawls bad ass. I'm now able to do stuff that makes me say wow out loud. Seriously I was crawling it today and it did some amazing lines...I actually said wow out loud even though I was crawling by myself lol. Here is some pics.
3eju2yje.jpg
gu5eby3a.jpg
ega4a5az.jpg
4y6y3e9e.jpg
ve7evu3a.jpg
4ase3aqe.jpg

Demo I think you have been hijacked.:roll:

Not trying to hijack. Like I said information on the Mantis is scarce..at least that has been my experience. I could careless about taking over someone's thread. It would be nice to figure out the hottest set-up on these things. Especially since the 2 I've built and yours is almost identical in parts. I guess from here it boils down to tuning and that can be some what of an enigma. For instance I bought the missing link
tahavu7a.jpg
and I can't figure out what hole would be best, should I do straight links etc. So yeah if you guys are down to share information that would be cool, or if I'm violating some sacred thread code I guess I could post elsewhere. The spotlight is still on Demo's build and not mine. I'm more than cool with that. I see it as a good thing. For example I'm digging the link sliders you have. I learned something new...didn't even know they existed. I might pinch your idea lol. So is it cool to post here or not?

Shannimal

Your cool man, just bustin' your balls a little. Im good with any Mantis related info going into the thread. I myself had forgotten the missing link was even availible so that there will help me out.

Great! I'll be happy to ask all of my questions uhmmm, I mean contribute all my knowledge here lol. If you are considering the missing link I will take some close up pictures of my findings when I get home. I was able to get full articulation using the bent delrin links but I'm at the bottom hole on the link. I was aiming to clock my motor up some and was successful. Thing is I'm at the bottom hole like I said which makes me wonder what all the upper holes are about. I think that I should make some longer straight links so that I can move to the higher position. I think that if I make them a tad longer I can push on the link so that my motor stays clocked the way it is. I don't know if this would be better or not but I'm going to experiment. The link looks sweet installed so A+ on the aesthetics. Oh and Ps..the links were on an introductory price of 25$ a set shipped. Don't know if this offer has expired or not.

Last edited:
Ok here is some pics of the link mount. I can get full articulation and the top of the link just kisses the front hood cross brace. You can observe how much my axle is clocked by looking at the servo angle. I don't know if this is good enough or too much. I do know that it crawled like a raped ape with the current setting.
y6e8e9ug.jpg
aju7e6ej.jpg
u9egyqy9.jpg
7ybu6ebu.jpg
zunuze9a.jpg

Shannimal

I'm lost... Which thread am I looking at? Got demo's?

Hellacool.. All the mantis info can be shared on each others threads.. like I have a mini mantis build thread that has some info on it.. :)

There are a bunch of switch build threads all with diff info but It's easy to find an get back to info I'm looking for per thread. I mean its no sweat off the nuts on my rig. Just a thought..

I defiantly like the link mount, offers way more options than the VP which would be great for tuning.
For me, the front axle is clocked forward a good bit to much but if it works for your driving style then thats what matters. The position that you currently have it is a good bit in the negative caster direction. The main issue with this is negative caster moves your tire contact patch back essentially shortening your wheel base and putting more weight forward of the pivot point. This would have a positive effect on climbs where additional forward weight would be helpfull but on down hills it would make you nose heavy and possible causing an end over. But like I said to start, if it works for you then stick with it.

How are those G-Made shocks working for you? I see you have the piggybacks backed all the way off, does that make them soft enough for the Mantis? I have a set sitting on my 2.2 Wraith base for the tube buggy that Looney is building for me. ( check out that build over in the 2.2 General Tech, Outkast )

Back