• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Demo's upcoming Mantis build

Update from tonight. Front axle assembled with minimal issues after learning from the rear axle last night.
e6u2yqu7.jpg

Waiting on a chassis to ship from BWD, BlueMonkey rear axle weights, Vanquish CVs and Rowdy's parts to make it in so I can get this thing together. I cant wait!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back at it again tonight after work. Between last Friday and today I have most everything in hand to get this build pretty close to up and running.
Started out putting the CVs in from VP on the front axle. The fit and finish of the VP maxed out axle is top notch, cant ask for much more there. I went ahead and trimmed up the lower housing to clearance for the Chaotic straight steering link and put that in place using Traxxas rod ends.
pagu6yhu.jpg

u4apudev.jpg

Changed out the delrin lowers for Ti 65mm with slider ends. Plan on doing the uppers to gain a touch more room and see if I can squeeze most of the electronics on the RR plate.
Started in on the Mantis itself after I took a few to grab some dinner.
4a3y3abu.jpg

Not sure that Im digging the white cab like I thought I would but it will have to do. Im sure I can do some wild skins to cover it all up and create a look that I will enjoy and will be one of a kind.
After I assembled the chassis and cab, I installed the front and rear axles along with the Blue Monkey rear weights and the 1/4" front additional rings.
Tomorrow night I am headed to have my tattoo worked on for a few more hours but may get around to building the wheels and hopefully mounting some rubber. I would like to have this as a roller by the end of the night but 3 hours of needles jabbing me in the shoulder and arm may not allow me to get much done. I guess we will see what happens. :beer:

That's what I'm talking about. Looking good. You can always die the cab black if you would want to. You may be able to get away with straight uppers. After I bent mine I thought about that and if I would have a VP link mount, I most likely would have left them straight. They might get into the hood on articulation.

That's what I'm talking about. Looking good. You can always die the cab black if you would want to. You may be able to get away with straight uppers. After I bent mine I thought about that and if I would have a VP link mount, I most likely would have left them straight. They might get into the hood on articulation.

Thanks!
I tried the stock straight delrin links to see what they looked like but they hit the motor case well before full articulation. The bent delrin hits the front cab brace so that is why it is removed in the pic. I think a Ti link with an inward bend to clear the case will be my best solution.

Figured out a solution to the white cab issue I was having. It was just bugging me so I think tonight I am going to dye the white delrin red with Rit 2. Found directions per DuPont (helps that I am currently demolishing one of their plants in Va) on the proper way to dye the material. Looks like a bath @ 185-195F will open the material up to accept the dye. Pics upon completion. "thumbsup"

keep an eye on the vp cv's chevotafun had some on his xr and has since taken them off due to the pins on the inside were walking back and forth and causing binding issues. they were walking back and forth and digging into the outer shield and causing it to bind and sorta glitch and seemed like it cogged a bit under hard steer and load. they actually dug right into the outer shield/pin retainer, but you never know they may be ok for ya just something to watch. they were great for the first two fun comps in his garage...""Mikes garage of doom"" looks great tho good luck

I have over 50 packs through my vp vvd's and have had no issues at all. I think you will be perfectly fine"thumbsup"

Those are some great looking axles thou, and the rig is looking very nice as well.

Figured out a solution to the white cab issue I was having. It was just bugging me so I think tonight I am going to dye the white delrin red with Rit 2. Found directions per DuPont (helps that I am currently demolishing one of their plants in Va) on the proper way to dye the material. Looks like a bath @ 185-195F will open the material up to accept the dye. Pics upon completion. "thumbsup"

Careful with the dye, if not done right your RED will come out PINK.
Just a heads up."thumbsup"

It's a roller now!
3a5uve7a.jpg

A little flex action
paqu4a9e.jpg

Close up of the 2.2 Mod-Locks from BWD
vubezaqe.jpg

Electronics are next along with steering linkage.

Only missing my RR trays and batteries. Ordered up a set of Boss Claws and thinking maybe seeing if I could find some white delrin wheels to dye up red with the cab if I like the way it comes out.

Wow, looking good! Maybe you can marble the chassis somehow like a red and white or red and black marble dye, kinda like an easter egg haha. That would look sick! Its no longer an XR10 by the way lol. And I heard today by a very good source VP bought the molding for the bottom axles, oo ya.

LIK

I've dyed a few white chassis in my time. The powder rite dye is the only dye that actually works. However, black is the worst. It'll turn a brownish black and it looks like shit. I've done orange and purple it comes out looking the best. The red comes out looking pink and navy blue looks really bad also... So learn from mistakes and use a color that works. Take it from me..... if that is the decision you decide to take.

I've dyed a few white chassis in my time. The powder rite dye is the only dye that actually works. However, black is the worst. It'll turn a brownish black and it looks like shit. I've done orange and purple it comes out looking the best. The red comes out looking pink and navy blue looks really bad also... So learn from mistakes and use a color that works. Take it from me..... if that is the decision you decide to take.

Then maybe a Krylon fusion plastic paint? Its meant for plastic but im sure it will fuse to delrin just the same. We use it on the coil of our metal detectors so they wont rub off, real good paint, then maybe spray it with a silicone or satin spray. they are both clear and look real good, prob give it a nice shine too, i dont know maybe you can try a couple of those. or just buy a new top in black and sell that one lol.

LIK

Then maybe a Krylon fusion plastic paint? Its meant for plastic but im sure it will fuse to delrin just the same. We use it on the coil of our metal detectors so they wont rub off, real good paint, then maybe spray it with a silicone or satin spray. they are both clear and look real good, prob give it a nice shine too, i dont know maybe you can try a couple of those. or just buy a new top in black and sell that one lol.

LIK

Well if buying new is an option, why not a white chassis, wasn't a big fan at first but the all white looks sick on the rocks an with the red parts! :)

On the same side, my original thought on the white top was go with red. That would be a pretty original topper/chassis color scheme. Either which way it will be a bad arse rig, keep up the good works

Your cheapest bet (next to paint) would be order two new Dub sides in black from Don if you don't wanna risk messing up a dye job. The crossbraces would hardly be seen after a hood and roof panel are put on. You can always trace it out and cut your own too.

Hey got_demo, my friend and I are both building the mantis at the moment. I'm doing black and my buddy is doing white. My friend went balls deep on his. So far his truck is at 2250ish in parts. He wanted everything aftermarket so I helped him order it all. He wanted a full on build so we didn't even get him an xr10. The only thing xr10 is the bottom axle halves on his rig. Figured if your going full out why by a kit lol. I was researching heavily on the mantis. Information on set-ups and such can be a little rare. I saw your thread and thought I'd jump us in. Figured if we get a nice fat mantis thread going we could share information and such. I already had an xr10 that was converted into a bj4, and now into the mantis.
I guess I'll start with his component list.
Everything VP makes for it..easier than listing all parts.
VP dh comp's
Nova foams
Rover white dots
Hs-7950th
Dual fxr
Brood 35t creeps.
Cc bec
G-made shocks (ones with the reservoir)
RR flat battery mount
Rc4wd gears.
1300ma 3s
That's all that pops in my head right now.
Mine is mostly stock. I have VP DH comps but really digging the wheels you got from bwd. Currently I run the Novak M2 with 2 55t Novak rock stars. I will be changing this setup. Still debating what I want. I want to order the hot-racing chubs because I read it already comes with an extra position so you can clock the axle one more setting. Thought that solution looked cleaner than drilling something else out. Thinking of using the rc4wd trans case. Not for sure who's gears I want yet. Rovers and nova foams for me. Hs-7950th on steering duty and that's where I'm at currently. I have mine built and drivable. I'm just mocking it up for now and will disassemble to add the mods required and maybe some just for the hell of it. So far it pretty exciting over here for us. Thing is beast. Can't wait to put them though their paces. The last of my buddy's parts list should be arriving tomorrow so we will be getting the build in this weekend I guess. Once we get it going I will see if I can't post a few pics.

Shannimal

Well if buying new is an option, why not a white chassis, wasn't a big fan at first but the all white looks sick on the rocks an with the red parts! :)

On the same side, my original thought on the white top was go with red. That would be a pretty original topper/chassis color scheme. Either which way it will be a bad arse rig, keep up the good works

Ya white and red look sick together, my halls is going a bit silver clear and red I think now just because I do love to see white on the rocks man, very different and clean.

LIK

Back