• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Buxom Melons: Class 2 VW Beetle

Re: Buxom Melons: Now Class 2

I ordered a new body for Melons today. "thumbsup"
I think I still have stickers too... I've wanted to redo the body since the beginning!
Now I just need to find a good metal roof rack... I may have AxialJeepster make me one.

I may drop the coin and have AxialJeepster make me one...

Attachments

• roof_01.jpg
    roof_01.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 676
  • roof_02.jpg
    roof_02.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 626

I got quotes for an exo cage and interior cage... man, I need to learn to braze!

I got quotes for an exo cage and interior cage... man, I need to learn to braze!

I bet you could get a pretty good torch set up for the price of those huh?

YOU CAN DO IT! "thumbsup" It's so much fun and it totally opens up the possibilities for you're rigs.

Not too hard, more frustrating than anything. Was able to put together the interior cage for the Clod without too much hassle.

Not too hard, more frustrating than anything. Was able to put together the interior cage for the Clod without too much hassle.

I need to start with building a work bench then get a vice vice. :roll:
Time for a trip to Home Depot!

I need to start with building a work bench then get a vice vice. :roll:
Time for a trip to Home Depot!

Yeah, I just got my stuff through there. Jason had a good suggestion of an 3/8ths, I believe it was, chainsaw file to do the fishmouthing for the brake line. Bit slower, but worked better than trying to do it with the dremel.

IMAG0264-1.jpg

Basically I just took some 3/16 brakeline, I got mine in 6' lengths at NAPA as it was the only place I could find galvanized stuff without the coatings on it, and cut it to length. Then used the interior to determine my bends for the two outside lengths. Once I got one side done I used it to as the template for the other. Then you can pretty easily figure out the other lengths.

I did have to make a few adjustments when I started assembling it, but I found if I brazed one cross member onto one side, then checked it with the body and all, it made it far easier than doing it all up and then having to pull it apart because its too wide, etc.

I should say that cage isn't prefect but its pretty close. And it was the first time I did any brazing, so creating a cage for Melons should be fairly straight forward!

What did you use to bend it?

How do you take it apart, just like soldering?

What did you use to bend it?

How do you take it apart, just like soldering?

Just a brake line bender. Need to do something else though because its a real pitta for small bends. For smaller things you can use a vise if you put a piece of rod inside the brakeline, I've been told.

Yup. Heat it up and it'll flow and you can pull the parts apart.

So, for the new paint job... I'm thinking insode is rust and the outside is painted like black Melons
i03datqh.jpg

but with the stripe... maybe in white or a slightly different black.
winterG6series2012004.jpg

What do you guys think?

So, for the new paint job... I'm thinking insode is rust and the outside is painted like black Melons
but with the stripe... maybe in white or a slightly different black.

Yeah, I could dig a black with a contrasting stripe.

Now I just need to figure out how to paint the outside and tape it off cleanly w/o messing it up.
hmmm, stripe color on the inside? nah.

Back