• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Bonding styrene to New Bright body

Phylodog

Quarry Creeper
I'm trying to use some styrene quarter round to make flares for the 1/24 New Bright body I picked up this week. The CA & Superglue I have is doing a pitiful job of bonding them, doing great at making a mess though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what might work? I'm heating the styrene and wrapping it around a prescription bottle which is giving me a "close to good enough" shape but I'm still going to have to glue them a spot at a time and form them as I go so I need something that'll hold strong.

I have no idea what type of plastic the body is made out of, its the blue one.

228B9639-AEC0-4261-A201-F62C1905AB61_zpszndha1s0.jpg

Tenex or Plastruct Plastic Weld or Bondene will melt the 2 plastics together. This is what I prefer to use. It wicks well so it flows under the parts and because its melting the 2 plastics to join them there really is no glue.

Could try E6000, but its more like shoe goo than a glue. It is a bit more rubber like than any glue.

X2. High quality CA glue will stick to it for sure. Just scuff the plastic first so it's not a slick surface. The E6000 or ShooGoo will do the trick, but it can't be sanded for bodywork. There's a sticky posted at the top of this section with all of this info in it.

For anyone else who may try this the Plastruct Plastic Weld works. I had to try a few times but it seems to be holding. I had to scratch up the body with an Exacto knife pretty deeply and hold the pieces together tightly for several minutes after applying the Plastistruct. I put a bit of CA over the joints to try and reinforce it a bit.

Thanks for the help!!

ECB33A28-BE83-4BAE-92CD-85714E02B8B2_zpsdjxqj1c5.jpg

Last edited:
I've found that the key to Pastruct (MEK) type styrene glues is clamping pressure. Don't be afraid to put more glue on the joint, flood the area and then squeeze together with your hands or small clamps. FYI it's not good to get this glue on your skin or breathe the fumes.

I used straight MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to bond my RC4WD Blazer cab to the styrene back I made for it. Haven't tried to pull them apart super hard, but it seems like it worked very well. I clamped the hell out of mine and left it overnight.

I used straight MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to bond my RC4WD Blazer cab to the styrene back I made for it. Haven't tried to pull them apart super hard, but it seems like it worked very well. I clamped the hell out of mine and left it overnight.

This.

When in doubt, MEK gets whipped out.

Back