• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Badgers Axial AX10 Deadbolt RTR crawler

are the shocks going to be non teflon coated? The Ridgecrest came with coated shock shafts.....hhhmmmm.

I LOVE THE BODY!!!!! And, since I am a believer in the Ridgecrest already....this is a BONUS BONUS!!!

Looks pretty cool!

I think my son is going to need one of these:mrgreen:

I for one am just glad to see axial still supporting our hobby.
This rig looks to be a great entry level sportsman rig and also a great entry level scale rig. It looks like you could really go either way with it pretty easily... Or you could just leave it as is and drive the piss out of it. "thumbsup"

THANK YOU Axial for continuing to give us cool new stuff to play with.

On the way home from Santa Cruz yesterday we stopped at a pumpkin patch so I had to bring the new rig out and take a couple pics.

353A8499-XL.jpg

353A8500-XL.jpg

353A8505-XL.jpg

What that standoff deal that they have the top of the shock mounted on? Like to have something like that instead of just using a screw on the Wraith. Or does somebody/vendor make something like that?

One of the vendors on here did make something like that a couple years back, not sure if they're still available. Can't remember who offered them, sorry.

But a quick check of the Ridgecrest instruction manual indicates these standoffs are just the larger ball mounts off the AX80033 shock parts tree, coupled with a washer and a spacer. Check your parts tree with the shock pistons, the balls should be on there. And check your parts tree that has (had) the lower spring pockets and spring separator rings, the spacers should be on there. My Scorps came with the silicone sleeves in the shock caps, so I never knew what these were for. Pushed one of them silicone sleeves out, and sure enough, fit right in there. I've been throwing them away left & right. Meh, c'est la vie.

I think it's a great upgrade over the original Ridgecrest. Sure it's only cosmetically different, for the most part, but it's an improvement and another option for people. Pretty sure it's aimed at a segment of RC that is just looking for a fun rig. It's not a comp crawler, it's not a go fast basher, but it fits nicely in between. Great for beginners and kids.

I for one don't see any issues with recycling parts. Isn't an SCX just an original AX10 with a frame? How many SCX versions have there been over the past few years?

For someone like me that has a few Wraiths laying around, parts are abundant. I like it. If I were looking for something off the shelf for one of my kids, I'd buy it.

I like it..! for what it is. It looks more like an axial design/product, has the same "Feel" as their entire lineup now. I am pretty sure Axial has been listening to the complaints about the old body. I don't know what the F that SUV body was or who came up with it, couldn't have been an Axial team member. They could even retire the Ridgecrest now, I don't think anyone would really care (or notice).

BUT!- I am not sure why everyone is so excited for the body to use on an scale chassis- look how big those fender cut outs are. I think it would look ridiculous on a scaler (I could be wrong). Not to mention the ultra high grill. I think its a great body for the AX-10 g2 platform, but not for anything else.

Badger, maybe you could drop it on to a SCX-10 chassis just to see what it looks like for us! (Pretty Please?)

Last edited:
I misspoke about the shock coating - The ridgecrest and wraith use Ti-Nitride Coated shock shafts...doesn't look like they used the same shock shafts here - not an issue for me! I LOVE THE RIDGECREST AND DEADBOLT!

For those of you who have yet to experience driving this "Little Rascal" (Ridgecrest included) you are sorely missing out! I have owned a Ridgecrest for over a year now (handed down to my 2 year old son) and Its simply a SUPER handling rig! I go places with the AX10 that the Wraith simply has issues. Being light weight and less top heavy makes it much more nimble! Couple that with the fact that the Wraith upgrades WILL work on the AX10 and you have a VERY capable rig, be it a semi crawler, Trail rig or Rock racer/basher, you choose how you want to use it.

Lets see, what other Axial platform uses a Lexan take off body...um...OH YEA...EVERYTHING but the Wraith!!!! So, who give a crap if this has a take off body? I prefer it over complete disassembly for repairs/maintenance.

As far as a kids toy....yea, I dont know about that, its more capable than the Wraith and just a versatile. (Excluding body modifications and accessories) Heck, its the same driveline minus the tranny case and "dig capability" but I can add that if I so choose.

SO, First hand experience with this rig, I was taken by surprise how well it drives and handles. If you don't like it, you have to only dislike it for its looks....and I'll assume you haven't seen one in person or even driven one yet. Either way, you're missing out.

Random thoughts and Rant complete....mostly

The Ridgecrest is a very capable rig out of the box. Put a thousand into it and look out. LOL. Whether you like it or not does not matter, It is a great start for a shafty or whatever you want. The parts in them leave you tons of options. Hell, it pretty much is a Wraith other than a couple things.

Attachments

• 20130601_201620.jpg
    20130601_201620.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 3,993
Last edited:
I misspoke about the shock coating - The ridgecrest and wraith use Ti-Nitride Coated shock shafts...doesn't look like they used the same shock shafts here - not an issue for me! I LOVE THE RIDGECREST AND DEADBOLT!

For those of you who have yet to experience driving this "Little Rascal" (Ridgecrest included) you are sorely missing out! I have owned a Ridgecrest for over a year now (handed down to my 2 year old son) and Its simply a SUPER handling rig! I go places with the AX10 that the Wraith simply has issues. Being light weight and less top heavy makes it much more nimble! Couple that with the fact that the Wraith upgrades WILL work on the AX10 and you have a VERY capable rig, be it a semi crawler, Trail rig or Rock racer/basher, you choose how you want to use it.

Lets see, what other Axial platform uses a Lexan take off body...um...OH YEA...EVERYTHING but the Wraith!!!! So, who give a crap if this has a take off body? I prefer it over complete disassembly for repairs/maintenance.

As far as a kids toy....yea, I dont know about that, its more capable than the Wraith and just a versatile. (Excluding body modifications and accessories) Heck, its the same driveline minus the tranny case and "dig capability" but I can add that if I so choose.

SO, First hand experience with this rig, I was taken by surprise how well it drives and handles. If you don't like it, you have to only dislike it for its looks....and I'll assume you haven't seen one in person or even driven one yet. Either way, you're missing out.

Random thoughts and Rant complete....mostly

It looks pretty nice to me, Axial should discontinue the Ridgecrest and replace it with this! I love my Wraith and my SCX! 8)

Hi,

I've never tried Crawling before. I'm mainly a flight guy, but I have a Mini Recon and an Erevo VXL, I don't play with the Mini Recon any more and only play with the Erevo sometimes. The short runtime and lack of battery space is keeping me from getting into it more.
Lately I've been following some crawling videos and talking to a friend about crawling, I'm surprised but I'm finding myself drawn towards the hobby.

Now for my point:
I'm thinking about getting the Wraith, but now I'm also thinking about the Deadbolt. Does the DeadBolt have a short wheel base like the Ridgecrest or is it long like the Wraith??

Intended purpose: I'm planning on just fooling around with the machine for a while and hoping to get long runtimes. I will most likely do some FPV with it eventually and I might put an Ardupilot Mega 2.5 or maybe my Raspberry Pi & Arduino in it for some autonomous runs. But for now I just want to fool around with it.

What would be better for general purpose crawling/bashing; Wraith or Deadbolt???
I like the look of the Wraith more than the DeadBolt and like the roll-cage for protecting electronics, but I know looks are not everything.
Any opinions?

Questions in short:
Deadbolt wheel base: (Long like Wraith or Short like Ridgecrest)?
General purposes and future FPV: (Wraith or DeadBolt)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've never tried Crawling before. I'm mainly a flight guy, but I have a Mini Recon and an Erevo VXL, I don't play with the Mini Recon any more and only play with the Erevo sometimes. The short runtime and lack of battery space is keeping me from getting into it more.
Lately I've been following some crawling videos and talking to a friend about crawling, I'm surprised but I'm finding myself drawn towards the hobby.

Now for my point:
I'm thinking about getting the Wraith, but now I'm also thinking about the Deadbolt. Does the DeadBolt have a short wheel base like the Ridgecrest or is it long like the Wraith??

Intended purpose: I'm planning on just fooling around with the machine for a while and hoping to get long runtimes. I will most likely do some FPV with it eventually and I might put an Ardupilot Mega 2.5 or maybe my Raspberry Pi & Arduino in it for some autonomous runs. But for now I just want to fool around with it.

What would be better for general purpose crawling/bashing; Wraith or Deadbolt???
I like the look of the Wraith more than the DeadBolt and like the roll-cage for protecting electronics, but I know looks are not everything.
Any opinions?

Questions in short:
Deadbolt wheel base: (Long like Wraith or Short like Ridgecrest)?
General purposes and future FPV: (Wraith or DeadBolt)?

Thanks.

The deadbolt is the same as the ridgecrest.

Back