• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

B-MOW's 1987 Toyota XtraCab VP STR8 Axle

B-MOW71

Go Buckeyes!
Gold Star Baby!
Merry Christmas to all!

New build on the workbench. I've always loved the look of the 1987 Toyota XtraCab and thought that someday I'd like to build one. No better time than the present to start the build.

Now I know this body has been used many times in the past and it is nothing new! So since I've always wanted one my own, then why not build one?!? And since RC4WD had this body set on sale for $125 and free shipping:shock: during the holidays, I couldn't pass up the deal!

The lower half of this build will be another holiday deal that I couldn't pass up. I picked up the Vanquish Products VS4-10 Builders Bundle Straight Axle Version when they were first unveiled on their Black Friday deals.

Since I have done countless other VS4-10 builds along with others and we've all seen how these go together, I won't be posting a play-by-play instructional how-to with on this chassis. The plan is to get the chassis and VP components together and then focus on a more detailed rundown off the Toyota XtraCab assembly, prep and paint.

For those that want to see a more detailed build of this chassis, then check out my other build threads here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanq...9-b-mows-bf-vp-bundle-build-vs4-10-style.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanq...igin/626827-b-mows-vs4-10-phoenix-portal.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanq...igin/611994-b-mows-vs4-10-origin-limited.html
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/610680-b-mow-goes-pro-vs4-10-a.html

VPS09902-2.jpg

Included in the VP Builders Bundle Straight Axle

IMG_0788.jpg

Axles, shocks, links and driveshafts all together. As always, these items go together so smooth! Note: The links in this kit are titanium instead of the stainless steel that normally comes with the VS4-10 kits.

IMG_0789.jpg

Chassis built using Team KNK Stainless Steel hardware. I added a set of Phoenix front inner fenders that I had in my stock. They do not come with the Builders Bundle.

IMG_0790.jpg

I’m in. After seeing WDW build one, and seeing bananaclip’s again, I wouldn’t mind my own one day.

Do you know how you’re mounting the body yet? The shrink rc mounts are popular I know.

also, are you planning on running shocks through the bed, or not?

Last edited:
I’m in. After seeing WDW build one, and seeing bananaclip’s again, I wouldn’t mind my own one day.

Do you know how you’re mounting the body yet? The shrink rc mounts are popular I know.

also, are you planning on running shocks through the bed, or not?

All great questions and yet to be determined.

I do have the Squirrel RC body mount kit that I bought for my Origin a few years back. If I can’t get that to work, I’ll get the Shrink RC kit. I like plug and play![emoji3]

As for the shocks, I may run them thru the bed and cover them with a scale wood crate or something. Cantilever is my other option, but never done them and not convinced they work that good. It would be nice to have a clean and clear bed though.

I have been following WDW build and his looks awesome! And I’ve drooled over Bananaclip’s every time I’ve seen it![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooo a Toyota VP build! Can't wait to see paint and wheel/tire combo.

I thought you might like this one![emoji6]

Paint is a ways out.
Tires are bought and paid for.
Wheels just might be one of my VP WOF spins![emoji3]

Can't wait to see this one. Seen all your other posts. I'm waiting on my first VP rig that I ordered during Trucks Of Fortune. Can't wait to see what I get. Definitely excited.

Last edited:
Man I so want to pick up a vp kit one day. Can’t wait to see this one come together!

Thanks SLN!"thumbsup"

This is gonna be fun! Following this one for sure!

Thanks for checking it out!"thumbsup"

Can't wait to see this one. Seen all your other posts. I'm waiting on my first VP rig that I ordered during Trucks Of Fortune. Can't wait to see what I get. Definitely excited.

Congrats! I'm curious to see which rig you get too!

Slow progress so far. Chassis together and components installed. Still need to get the VFD Twin built and installed. Steering servo is a place holder and will be replaced soon.

The NSDRC shift servos and accessories arrived last night.:)

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

The '87 Toyota XtraCab body has arrived. Also picked up the 22-RE engine bay to give me free shipping on the order.

I had originally planned on using a set of Sea Squirrel body mounts that I had purchased a few years back for another build that never happened. Turns out that this mount kit is for the Mojave II body and bolts directly to the VS4-10 chassis rails. Since this won't work, I'll be getting an order into Shrink RC for a body mounting kit for this body.

IMG_0853.jpg

The VFD Twin is in and the NSDRC shift servos with adapter plates are in. Well the DIG servo is in, but I still need to make the OD servo fit better. The short horn doesn't allow for full swing of the shifter. I'll either make a longer servo horn or mount the servo in a different configuration.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Sat the body on just to get a look at it. Mounted up my WOF gold 105's with the new VP Falken Wildpeak R/T's.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Looks great Brian [emoji1303] the RT’s look sweet, I’m excited for that tire.

Looks great Brian [emoji1303] the RT’s look sweet, I’m excited for that tire.

Looking rad already, digging where this is going!

Thanks guys!"thumbsup"

I'm excited for this build! This is a body that I've wanted to use for a long time. I just hope it turns out as good as what I have imagined in my head!:)

I'm a big fan of those beadlock rings... "thumbsup"

Looking forward to seeing your paint choices and other mods!

I'm a big fan of those beadlock rings... "thumbsup"

Looking forward to seeing your paint choices and other mods!

These rings are my first ones. I do like the looks of them. Glad VP decided to throw them in with my WOF's!

I've been throwing paint ideas around for a few days and still have yet to decide on one. I may have more time to decide. Sounds like the weather here will be cooling off again soon. I hear the white stuff will be back in the forcast!:roll:

Oh yeahhh! Another B-Mow build! Everyone loves watching you do your thing, man.

Appreciate it SLN!"thumbsup" Thanks for watching!:)

Another great build! Throw one of these in the bed and you can go turkey
hunting!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-03 181727.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-03 181727.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 548
Updates!! The order for the ShrinkRC body mount kit has arrived. Also picked up the RPM long rod ends that are the same as the Traxxas Jato rod ends. The rod ends will have to be added to the rear links to push the rear axle back so that it will line up with the rear wheel well.

The body mount kit is nicely 3D printed and comes with all hardware needed for the install. Also comes with other items to keep my sweet tooth happy!:ror:

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

The ShrinkRC mounts are super simple to install. I had to remove the tops of the sliders in order to attach the mounts. They slide in from the inside and the screws attach from the inside.

IMG_0932(1).jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

A rear brace is also included to reinforce the rear of the body. Notice the shock keys and laid down shocks. More on that later.

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

More pics are on the way showing the rod ends and other mods that I had to do.

Back