• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Axial Capra

The Horizon guy said it's made in the same place as TLR, with TLR materials and I'll take TLR plastics over RPM's all day long. The disconcerting thing is the design. Most of the pressure is on the screws themselves. Looks like they'll eventually wear around the screw holes.
Most of the pressure is on the bearings, not the screws. Both the upper and lower driveshafts bridge across the inner and outer halves of the portal housing, resting on bearings at each end. The screws just hold the two halves together, they don't support torque loads.

Hmmm. These two kinda favor each other.

58402c1131baba898c06decc833464a3.jpg
13f6d696cdc35c6b500258600e0493bb.jpg
They do look very similar, don't they? But the Slickrock looked better, even though it was toy-grade in its capabilities. I never spent so much time and effort trying to improve a crawler as I did when I owned a Slickrock. But it sure looked nice. Vaterra made a mistake by never making a 1/10 version.

So, after looking at the Capra, I'm gonna pass. When I get right down to it, my Wraith is still my favorite Axial truck. I know I sound like a basic-bitch for saying that, but I can't help what I like. It's the best-looking tube-frame design Axial ever made IMO, and since I've spent over a thousand bucks on upgrades over the years, it does exactly what I want and it does it very well. Same reason I never got a Bomber, really. With every other Axial truck I've bought or considered buying, underneath all of my rational analysis lay the question: "but can it out-Wraith my Wraith?" The answer has always been no -- except for the SCX10 II, which for some reason I always expected to be different than my Wraith. I guess what I really want is a second Wraith...and a spare fifteen hundred dollars to spend on the truck itself and a pile of upgrades, so I could buy that second Wraith without getting nauseous when I look at my credit card bill. :???:

Now, if Axial would re-release the XR10, I'd be all over that. I really don't understand why they refuse to re-release the XR10. Even if that style of comp crawling isn't popular anymore, there are still people who want a cliff-climber just for fun.

Last edited:
Most of the pressure is on the bearings, not the screws. Both the upper and lower driveshafts bridge across the inner and outer halves of the portal housing, resting on bearings at each end. The screws just hold the two halves together, they don't support torque loads.

Not exactly. The metal gears aren't going to break before the plastics. If there ever comes a time where the gears have so much load that they are going to try skip a tooth guess what's going to give - the plastics. The bearing and bearing seat are pretty rigid so they're not likely to migrate sideways. So they may try to pop the portal housing open. In that case the load will be solely on those four screws and the plastic to hold the portal housing together.

At this point into the build those portal housings are probably my biggest concern.

The Losi/TLR horn didn't fit on the micro servo(I think I mentioned that in an earlier thread), although the other TLR horn (for the steering servo) does work (as will others).

As for the DIG servo, I do have some good news. I just called Hitec, to see if they offer, or know of, any aluminum horns for that servo...and, they do. The model number is HS-5125MG, and the part number is 55707. If ordering from AMain, searching either of those numbers, or searching HRC55707, will bring up the part. Just added one to my cart.

If anyone else decides to give the Hitec HS-5070MH micro servo a try, and also decides to get the aluminum horn, here's a suggestion: Once the correct hole is determined, you can use a Dremel w/ a metal cutting disk, and cut off the excess length (followed by sanding the edges, of course).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Small update on the dig servo topic. Got the JX PDI-1151MG today. Regular 25T spline servo horn fits just fine. I’m waiting for everything else to show up...

Small update on the dig servo topic. Got the JX PDI-1151MG today. Regular 25T spline servo horn fits just fine. I’m waiting for everything else to show up...
Fantastic. The Hitec micro servo fit as well...although, due to the additional height of the Hitec, and because of the difference in height between the top of the case & top of the horn mount, I had to place some shims to 'assist'. In mounting the servo to the DIG servo holders, I added a 1mm shim to each mount, which also means I needed longer screws (I replaced the two M2x8mm screws with M2x12mm...I didn't have any M2x10mm). For the horn, between the horn & AXI232011, I added two 1mm shims. Thankfully, the included was long enough.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Not exactly. The metal gears aren't going to break before the plastics. If there ever comes a time where the gears have so much load that they are going to try skip a tooth guess what's going to give - the plastics. The bearing and bearing seat are pretty rigid so they're not likely to migrate sideways. So they may try to pop the portal housing open. In that case the load will be solely on those four screws and the plastic to hold the portal housing together.

At this point into the build those portal housings are probably my biggest concern.
Well yes, the portal housings could pull straight apart, but they could do that with any portal design. I thought the original concern was the portal housings would twist apart, which is extremely unlikely.

Anyway, give the aftermarket 5 minutes and they'll have weighted brass portal housings for the Capra, which will eliminate that concern for a...nominal fee. ;-)

After agonizing (ok, not truly "agonizing"...but, was still a difficult decision) over what wheels & tires to go with, I finally made my decision. I'll be mountains Pit Bull 1.9 Growler AT/Extra tires, filled with Crawler Innovations "Deuce's Wild" crawler foams, and mounting then on Vanquish OMF NXG1 wheels.

Sneetches;5967673]Here are some pics comparing the Capra on 1.9s and the 2.2 version of the same tires.

48848985117_eb01a94232_o.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Now I'm second-guessing my having gone with 1.9 tires. Looks like I'll have to order me up some 2.2s, along with the 2.2 foams. Thankfully, as I had planned on installing the 1.9s on 2.2 wheels, I'll already have the wheels. I'll just hold the 1.9s for whatever my second crawler ends up being.

UPDATE: Just curious, but are you using the stock shocks, or aftermarket? If stock, using limiters, and, of so, how much? If aftermarket, what length shocks (and, if using limiters, how much)?

Last edited:
Now I'm second-guessing my having gone with 1.9 tires. Looks like I'll have to order me up some 2.2s, along with the 2.2 foams. Thankfully, as I had planned on installing the 1.9s on 2.2 wheels, I'll already have the wheels. I'll just hold the 1.9s for whatever my second crawler ends up being.

UPDATE: Just curious, but are you using the stock shocks, or aftermarket? If stock, using limiters, and, of so, how much? If aftermarket, what length shocks (and, if using limiters, how much)?

Don't sweat it too much yet, I think it'd be good to get some time in on the 1.9s, plus you need a stronger servo and gearing to compensate. Then you can try out 2.2s eventually and have a good baseline for performance. "thumbsup". These are the stock shocks, no limiters, softest springs included on all 4 corners.

solo1 said:
Do the 2.2s clear at full lock?

Yes, however at full lock with full compression you'll start rubbing the shocks. See pic of clearance on the side fully compressed at full lock. The solution of course would be wheels with more backspacing or wider hubs.

48848431628_ffb012c93f_o.jpg

.....at full lock with full compression you'll start rubbing the shocks. See pic of clearance on the side fully compressed at full lock. The solution of course would be wheels with more backspacing or wider hubs.

I ordered 225 & 350 hubs. I'll see how the 225s do, and, if there's running, I'll swap them for the 350s & check again. Granted, as I mentioned, I'm gonna first give the 1.9 tires (mounted on the 2.2 wheels) a try.

Back