• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

ax10/wraith crawlin on a budget "sportsman" build

Re: Punched Cookie Monster "budget" build

Your always better off to check with Rcc and the winnerone23 salvage yard, then buying crap out paying full price! For the budget friend shopping.. ;)

yeah, i have been keeping an eye out for wheels and can never seem to find what im looking for. I have some brand new 2.2 tires to use so paying for tires again is just dumb, even then whenever i see a full set of wheels come up they are either more than 30 (which is what i picked out ads up to) or are gone instantly.

for the drive shafts i was going by the advice of a harley design video, but he was building to run brushless and i really dont want to go that route..... guess i should rethink that.

Ive never seen steering links come up in the for sale section, ive been looking for those too.

Ill keep an eye out for the servo, the only reason i decided to take the plunge was a coupon code that rpp has.

Thanks for the input!

look on ebay for budget parts.
scx10 shocks 14.95 shipped
bought parts below from ebay
Castle Creations 1/18 Sidewinder Micro Sport ESC SPEED CONTROL I paid $31.00 shipped
Budget wheels & hubs from ebay $24.00

RC4WD OEM Steel 1.9 Stock Beadlock Wheel Hexes RC4ZS0268 13.97 shipped

DE Racing DER-BB-LFB “Borrego” 2.2 1/10 Buggy Front Wheel Black (2) TLR 22 total $9.78 for 4 wheels.
You can mod the wheel to fit the hubs. Only down side you have to add weight to the wheels.
wheels are in picture below.

Last edited:
I ran one of these servo for 2 seasons it's now in my Yeti. I see a new one on ebay for 49.99 shipped

Hitec HSR-5995TG Ultra Torque Robot Servo - NIB

Last edited:
thanks for the input tapped out. Ive looked for wheels on ebay and the ones from rpp seem to be the cheapest option so far. I never looked for a servo on ebay, today is really the first i put any effort into it.

I swapped the bent links with the straight and it has made things not move side to side as much but the rod ends are still rubbing everywhere and limiting articulation quite a bit. On the advice of cboggs i tred putting the lower lins on the inside of the mounts and it just made the connection to the skid bind up more. Can anybody reccomend some bent rod ends that arent super bulky? Im putting more thought into just getting the vanquish links but im worried those ends will be bulky also.

fyi the links i have are the axial heavy duty aluminum links

Last edited:
If you look you'll notice 2 bends on front lower links mounted in stock ar60 location & Rears lower links have 1 bend closer to the axle links are mounted on the inside lower hole & shocks are in stock link location...
My upper links also have 1 bend in them. (I'll be swapping out upper links to 1/8" Titanium some time after Worlds)
Rig is free of any binding.
take a look @ my build thread.

Last edited:
got shocks, wheels, links and hardware from rpp so i should have a roller by next week.

troy offered me a nice servo and some drive shafts for a song and a dance to which i promptly said "GIMME"

got shocks, wheels, links and hardware from rpp so i should have a roller by next week.

troy offered me a nice servo and some drive shafts for a song and a dance to which i promptly said "GIMME"

Better watch that guy Troy

Sent from the SWAMP

With a comment like that, ur lucky your HH goodies are already in the mail. No tracking info for you!

giphy_zpswdyobtap.gif

I have noticed that i suck at taking pictures of things, all im really doing is putting stuff together and it just doesn't seem like something worth documenting so prepare to see the same thing from different angles haha.

so my stuff from rpp got her alot sooner than expected, of course i starting putting stuff together as soon i was able to. First thing i dug into was the gmade wheels, i wasn't expecting much with these but was pleasantly surprised i would say they are just as good as the stock axial beadlocks from the first gen ax10 and they are much more detailed. The proline tsl xl's i put on them went on pretty easy (ive seen alot of people say proline beads arent fun), pretty happy with that purchase so far

P_20150905_210544_zpswrodnboo.jpg

Then i put the ends on my vanquish links (was not fun with horribly arthritic hands) and bolted those all up to finally have an axle that has good range without feeling like it was fighting the chassis. Alot of people told me to get links from dlux and i have no doubt that they are great but i felt like i was loosing sight of the project i set out to do. Im not building this to compete with anybody, im building it to have fun with so haveing the best of everything isnt required. I do appreciate the advice and input of everybody but my purpose is not the same as most with this build. Anyway, pictures of links!

from the top
P_20150905_210631_zps8v2aaoca.jpg

from the bottom
P_20150905_210702_zps5wjttzny.jpg

still need to get a tie rod and drag link, i forgot that when i placed my rpp order :(

I have to admit that i was getting really bummed out with this build, people had sent me random links that didnt work out and then i got some stock wraith links that i thought for sure would work. After looking at tapped out's thread i got the idea in my head that the vanquish links would work out and im so glad it did. I still have some drive shafts and a servo coming from troy and those feel like huge bounds forward. I will try and take pictures of the back end coming together and of course i will take pictures when im done with it and have the front link/shock mounts on correctly.

Flip your upper links around with bend closer to chassis & bolt links to outside of chassis.

Last edited:
i dont know why but i always keep thinking the bends are for clearance so i have them up and down. I put the links on the inside since that was the only way they fit. I just did the rear the correct way and its working much better.

thanks for pointing it out"thumbsup"

i present to you RCC, a better functioning front end! Now with correct assembly!

P_20150906_094128_zpsbr9qguu4.jpg

now onto my next challenge

P_20150906_094643_zps1xdereiz.jpg

robbob was nice enough to send me most of a transmission, need to try and figure out what is here and what i need. I have a feeling im just going to buy another one for my sanity haha.

when i get my servo and shafts ill be sure to take more pictures

Last edited:
Re: Punched Cookie Monster "budget" build

All you need is the gears for the inside of the case you and a/an output. Let me check my pile of parts I'm pretty sure I've got that covered. If you will find an exploded view of Axial transmission it all very simple.

Back