• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Anyone else 'Scale' out your Rigs? My AXE Rig on SkyRC Bluetooth Corner Scales

Timmahh

RCC Addict
Thought it would be interesting to see what my RedCat AXE rig would scale out at. But not just how much of a pig it was, but the weight biasing on it currently, and what it looks like side to side and corner to corner.

Anyone else ever corner scale their rigs?
Can help with where to put things (if that is some option per item) to help keep the balance of the rig stable, aka good side to side bias as equal as possible and a decent front wight biasing.

Knowing this as noted can help place items in a more adequate location.
Also can help side hilling keeping it more stable from one side to another on the same side run. Not to mention other benefits.

bit over an hour vid of me mucking about with my Sky RC Bluetooh Corner Scales and making a few tweaks, one that was significant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORSXZugDSc

I do it with a kitchen scale sometimes. Each axle and corner separately. Mostly just to check my F/R bias when I build something.

I always 4-corner balance. I don't know how much it reaaaaallllly matters but it appeals deeply to my inner nerd.

I try to aim for 60/40 F/R and 50/50 L/R of course.

It's a neat way to finalize the geeking out on a new rig...

I too have used a kitchen scale to weigh each corner. I used it mostly for racing but was messing with my trail rig and threw it on there just for fun.

I also use the Sky Rc scale and I find it quite helpful in getting the truck setup in the most ideal way. I'm finishing up a new build and just popped it on the scale. This is ready to run with the battery, but I need to slightly tweak the balance.

IEoOyNbl.jpg

Last edited:
I never bothered to measure side to side since front to back was right where I like it (62-63% on the front).... I was surprised to find my front left had 5oz more on it than the front right! Rears were within like 4 grams of each other which tells me the difference in the front is mostly axle weight, not chassis weight. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about it since it's got an offset AR60 with a steel spool, hardened gears, and metal housing causing the imbalance, but at least that helps explain some of the inconsistent sidehilling. Thanks for opening a new can of worms for me to pull my hair out over!

Always, though I don't have a 4 wheel scale. I use 2 kitchen scales and do front/rear, and then side to side. Every build, crawler or on-road. It's not a perfect system, but I know it's at least in the ballpark.

Thanks for opening a new can of worms for me to pull my hair out over!

AHHAHA My Pleasure. lol

But ya, if people are seeing weird inconsistencies when running, it may be bad side to side bias.
Offset axles at TheLetter? I can imagine that would bias one side a bit.

This is UGE in No Prep, but in my many years of crawling, never really considered it for them, until a week ago, I was working on the AXE and went damn this is turning into a bit of a Pig (10.5-11lbs run weight now) I wonder if I can make any changes to better distribute weight because anyone that has one knows sidehilling is the biggest downside on these rigs, and these 600 gram bodies don't help, but its a good looking body. lol

I was wholly surprised by the weight distribution on the AXE when I started, and shocked at what it ended up being at the end of the video.

Last edited:
Back