• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Anti-strip Hex Drivers

bbrigg

Quarry Creeper
If you look up "ham-fisted" in the dictionary you will probably see my picture. I have various methods of repairing plastic threads from a recoil kit to threaded inserts that are able to be installed using a soldering iron to the self tapping thread inserts but I don't often have to use them since I found the hex driver set in the picture below, shown with a MIP driver for comparison.

713e4fd2c5f1e2cd3b99e3a87c9b965a.jpg

Having the 1.3mm size at the small end is a bonus. The set cost about $6 at a local store and they don't fit as well as they could but I haven't rounded any screw heads nor have I stripped a thread with them. I would like to buy a better quality set if anybody knows where I can find them.

df2cd2678e8ea12495f8a28a4d0129e1.jpg

The small wrench above is also very handy for wheel nuts giving plenty of leverage. My ham-fistedness seems to be limited to plastics as I have used this wrench lots and haven't had any issues stripping threads on the metal axles.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

I just went and got some 1.5-3mm allen blank keys from WIHA or BONDHUS, cannot recall. Drilled vertically through the middle of a 1" piece of 1/4 rod and brazed the keys in. Now it looks like a mini T-handle allen, easily reshaped, and have not broken mine in 15+ years

Back