• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

After following this from DSM off-road

TacoCrawler

I wanna be Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgNqu0LooD8 - on youtube
I have lost all electronic functions on my scx6 Honcho.
I have no idea as to what happened ?
I know I have power and there are no signs of it being burnt or damaged.
So it has to be a programming fault.
At first it fixed the steering endpoints. But then the ESC failed to work.
Now nothing works when I plug in the Lipo. Except the ESC flashes red.
Will I need to rebind this truck's electronics to re-do everything ?
I do not have this programing card. Nor do I know how it works even if I had it.
At this point it is nothing more then an expensive paperweight :cry:

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
Would be nice if it remembered a default setting ?

But obviously I will need to rebind the entire e system on the truck ?
Besides the owners manual I haven't a clue as what went wrong ?

I followed the youtube article to the letter.
And when I rebooted the TX I ended up like this ?

Anyone have a clue they can share with me ?

Last edited:
Flashing red light means its hit LVC. If the battery is actually charged is it possible you've adjusted the Lipo cell count? if you change that to a 8S and plug in a 4S battery it will think its hitting LVC.

EDIT: the manual shows options for a few different ESC so I'm not positive if there is a cell count option or not. Every time I look for info on this ESC I struggle to find the right info.

0Hb8r7d.jpg

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/Firma-Manual-EN.pdf

Last edited:
Every time I look for info on this ESC I struggle to find the right info.

0Hb8r7d.jpg

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/Firma-Manual-EN.pdf
Same deal for me. I find a lot of product information. But very little along the technical side of things.
And the owners manual is generally vague at best.
Especially regarding the electrical side of the coin.
I can't even find one single article using a different transmitter for the system ?
All I can find are articles regarding hop up hardware parts.
I'm left wondering if I can even use my FS GT5 in this rig ?
Haven't even found an article related to that ?
Surely Spektrum isn't the only radio system people use now ?
This purchase has become my nightmare.
This so called "Smart" system doesn't seem so smart to me.
Definitely not common sense thinking like it was years ago.
And I've been around this hobby, when we still used wiper resistors for forward and reverse function.
The day of common sense has ceased to exist now.
I must be dead :cry:

with everything coming from China these days you never know if your gonna get a good one or a piece of junk

what have you tryed have you tryed swapping radios or escs or recivers or motors or battery's or tested the bec on the esc

have you tryed to bump start it put it in 3rd gear and oh never mind lol

there's probably a way to factory reset everything but I don't know how to do that
first off you need to figure out what unit is giving you problems
if it's a radio issue you should be able to swap recivers and the problem will follow the radio or recivers
if the esc is acting the same way with a different radio and receiver than your issue is most likely the esc
other possibilities is bec failure that's pretty common
to test if the bec is bad just unplug the esc completely from the receiver and use a small 2s lipo or a external bec to test the receiver if your servo comes to life then you found your problem

I've had a bec pop simply by turning the wheels with no battery installed the servo being turned by hand made enuff power to backfeed the esc and pop the bec
also 4s is hard on the internal bec alot of my escs say if your gonna run 4s use a external bec

the more I think about it the more I'm leaning to a bad internal bec

Last edited:
Hooking it up to a new radio is easy, just get a flysky receiver and swap it for the stock one. I'm using a Spektrum receiver and transmitter and I havent had any issues. You would give up the smart features which I wasnt using anyway. You'd probably want the programming card at this point since adjusting settings make not be possible afterwards.

Are you still able to get it into programming mode or not?

I'll hook my ESC up to the programmer and see if I can nail down which settings list to follow and I'll report back.

I also sent a message to Spektrum to ask where this ESC's manual is, we'll see if they have anything useful to say.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the manual and the 2 settings lists for the 130A/150A and the 160/A dont match the settings in the programmer. The only setting that might interfere with it starting up is the cutoff voltage, but only if the battery is low.

I was able to get my ESC to flash red by turning off my radio. Make sure your radio has fully charged batteries and also check the throttle trim is centered, if the trim is not centered it might not start up.

I was able to get my ESC to flash red by turning off my radio. Make sure your radio has fully charged batteries and also check the throttle trim is centered, if the trim is not centered it might not start up.
this is why I think the bec might have given up

the throttle trim won't affect 5he steering but if the bec popped it will act like it has no signal from the radio ie flashing red light

when testing for a bad bec or if the reciver is good it's probably a good idea to use a cheap servo for the test just in case
a volt meter will tell you the same thing just be carefully not to touch the 2 leads together

another option is to use a spare esc and plug it in to the battery position on the receiver and see if your rig comes to life

Last edited:
Have you checked to make sure the throttle trim is centered yet? Turn the throttle trim knob slowly as you start it up, it might start up.

Back