• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

A Ascent-18 jumped into my cart. . . . . .

I think this and the 1/10 Ascent look great, but I keep reminging myself that it is Redcat and, well, they aren't known to not mess things up. I'm watching reviews though.

I think this and the 1/10 Ascent look great, but I keep reminging myself that it is Redcat and, well, they aren't known to not mess things up. I'm watching reviews though.
redcat has come along way

just remember redcat is only gonna do 90% of the work the last 10% is up to you

sure you can drive it out of the box but they leave some room for improvement

I don't remember the whole story but at one point in time one guy from axial went to work for redcat and there products made a huge jump in quality

redcat has come along way

just remember redcat is only gonna do 90% of the work the last 10% is up to you

sure you can drive it out of the box but they leave some room for improvement

I don't remember the whole story but at one point in time one guy from axial went to work for redcat and there products made a huge jump in quality

Well Axial also does things 90% at best so that makes sense…

#shotsfired

Been working on the Ascent 18 some more. I moved the esc to the front tray but it limited the shock positions. I thought about moving it to the slider but ended up de-casing it and mounting it on the front tray at least for now. Went through the portals, diffs & transmission and added grease. The only place that showed any signs of grease was the transmission.

Got some Globact beadlocks that I found on Amazon. They look like the Injora steel wheels but they claim they are aluminum with brass rings. The rings were vented but I thought the hole was to small and there was only one. I drilled the existing hole to 2mm and added another one.

Mated them to some Injora 58mmx24mm S5 tires. It seemed these wheels went together much easier than the Injera's or maybe I've done so many that I have have it down.

Have only deiven it on the indoor 1/24 course and it did well but that isn't the real test.

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday. Ship date was last Saturday, but USPS sometimes finds a way to make me upset.

Anyways, at first glance this lil' rig looks great! It seems to be built well. I really never thought I would say that about Redcat since I've never been a fan.

We'll see how it does when I get some wheel time.

IMG_4254.jpg

Big fun for small spaces!

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

true

axial has improved in leaps and bounds too since horizon came in to the picture yet at the same time let alot slide by the wayside

I think Axial did improve when Horizon bought them, but now Horizon sucks. They are so focused on buying up everybody and becoming an RC monopoly that they can't do anything right. :flipoff: Horizon.

Finally got a chance to take the Ascent18 out after I did the mods to it. Took. it to the same place it did it's 1st run so I'd have a god comparison. It handled much better and was more planted. For now I'm pretty happy with it. If you want to checked it out for yourself I took some video.

https://youtu.be/RehyD382ybc

Very capable truck. It's very easy to add articulation it desperately needs. Extend upper mounts using some plastic servo horns to tilt shocks a bit.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Not sure what happened here but not I have 2 Ascent18's I'm going to blame it on the hobby shop they sent me a post card for 10% off. Couldn't resist the temptation.

To start I moved the upper links to the upper hole which made the upper and lower links almost parallel, this is supposed to help with anti-squat. This is the before picture with the stock location.

This is after I moved the the link to the upper position.

I also have a couple of other ideas for it too. Already ordered a set of white spoke wheels with brass rings. Also plan on moving the esc & battery to the sliders after I get a base run on it.

Found this sticker the back window

Didn't want to wait for Redcat to ship the replacement links so I drew up some tin Freecad and printed them with PETG I think they will be stronger than the stock one. Ran it a little on the 1/24 course and it was fine. I get a chance I'll take it and challenge it a little more.

Downloadable hrer

Doesn't appear to hang down where they will catch on something.

While I was at it I switched out the JST plugs for some XT30's which is what I have on all the other micros I have. Really thought about keeping the JST's but then it would require me to buy some blanks and a crimper. Finally decided to just switch to XT30's

Had the idea of using the stock tires on different rims. Bought some Bob Smith Debonder for CA glue. Put it around the rim and let it sit for 2 minutes or so then tried to get the tire off, nothing so I put some more on and let it sit this time it was softening the wheel but the tire still wouldn't budge. Looked at the schematic and the wheels are like the Traxxas TRX4m wheels with the double lip the tire set in except Redcat glued their and Traxxxas didn't. Just for grins I may try and freeze them and see what happens.

Last edited:
I used acetone to remove mine. It worked, very messy. Plastic rims melted off. At the end it wasn't worth the effort. As nice as the redcat tires are they are not that good in comparison to s5 injoras.

Baby Blue has been getting most of the attention. I did change the connectors over to XT30 to match the other mini's I have. Also the other day when I took both Red and Blue out crawling I noticed that Bule was a little more sure footed than Red. Red had brass rings in all for tires and Blue only had then in the front. Took the brass rings out of the rear of Red's wheels which shifted the bias a little to the front. I also moved the upper links to the upper holes both front and rear. Yesterday when I had both trucks out the biggest difference was tire size and foam softness. Blue has 62mm DJCrawler tires with the soft foams, Red has 58mm Injora S5 tires with the included foams.

Just bought another set of wheels and 64mm S5 Injora tires, In them I'm going to use the yellow Injora silicone foams and see how they work on both trucks. I'll use brass rings in the front to keep the playing field equal. This is where I wish I had the stock Ascent18 to try them on.

I got some weight on mine, it is great as it is but left me wishing for a little more grip on the front. So I will add more brass in form of a servo mount, the stock one seems to shift a bit.
Injora silicone inserts are nice but Swiss cheesed medium foams work better. Silicone are sill too hard. I run 62-64 S5. Fronts 62mm foams sealed, rear 64mm silicone vented.
OGRC heavy front. Injora in the back. I think F: 23g R:13g

Last edited:
I got some weight on mine, it is great as it is but left me wishing for a little more grip on the front. So I will add more brass in form of a servo mount, the stock one seems to shift a bit.
Injora silicone inserts are nice but Swiss cheesed medium foams work better. Silicone are sill too hard. I run 62-64 S5. Fronts 62mm foams sealed, rear 64mm silicone vented.
OGRC heavy front. Injora in the back. I think F: 23g R:13g

Did you have the yellow or green Injora silicone foams? Mine are yellow. How did you Swiss cheese the medium foams? Tread or sidewall?

Back