• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

6x6 Bullhead Clodbuster Build

markturbo

Pebble Pounder
I've been wanting to build an old school styled 6x6 Clodbuster for a long time now. I ordered up a Bullhead kit and robbed an axle off my Clod to get me started. This rig will eventually have a snow plow mounted to it so I wanted a heavy chassis so I'll be building it from 16 gauge steel. To start the layout for the chassis I measured the stock one with a caliper at various points for all the key suspension mounting points.

KdVWd1yh.jpg

New Bullhead kit

2gKG7P2h.jpg

I built the Bullhead and laid out the rear tires to get an idea for the wheelbase I wanted.

xMcQZV9h.jpg

Using my mad MS Paint skills for a rough rendering :lol:

Xr5j3Tyh.jpg

I took my measurements and laid them out on 1/8 fibre board and made a mock up chassis. I used a jigsaw to cut it out and and some wood for the cross members. I just wanted to be sure of fitment before building the metal chassis.

7L9n5Wjh.jpg

0D28wGFh.jpg

Rh4a2Vxh.jpg

Once I was happy with the setup I transferred it over to 16 gauge steel that I cut out with a grinder with a thin cut off disc and finished with some hand file work

NAcojBEh.jpg

Pieces all tacked together using a mig welder

L6aOx8Gh.jpg

bi40jG9h.jpg

In the above pics you can see the mill scale is still on metal, I did grind it away at the seems for the tack welds. I wanted to remove all the mill scale so I submerged the chassis in vinegar for a few a hours and this dissolves the mill scale and you can simply brush it off with your finger or bristle brush which is amazing considering how tuff the stuff is to remove short of using a grinder which marks up the surface.

You can see the light grey area with the mill scale removed showing the bare steel

mzYdCIYh.jpg

I also made a stand from 2x4, helps for working on the truck and will also be for display to keep the tires from flat spotting on the shelf.

XWjMIK7h.jpg

rTpWmwXh.jpg

4JGMF5Ah.jpg

iaIGv1Nh.jpg

More to come...

Some body work to the rear of the Bullhead

xH1miGdh.jpg

gD4BTaWh.jpg

Filler pieces

WA9Vz7xh.jpg

J2U3ogHh.jpg

I also have reinforced the body under these panels to prevent flex but forget to get a pic

I'll be relocating the exhaust stacks and filling the original mounting holes

Wr9aenkh.jpg

Holes all filled and sanded smooth using styrene

gBOe794h.jpg

Sunroof deleted and filled with a piece of styrene and sanded smooth. I'll be adding roof lights and air horns.

u4CqRO3h.jpg

Bm19xtth.jpg

I moved the exhaust up and rearward using mounts I made from angle aluminum, these will be polished later on.

ExoAhzzh.jpg

Made my own sun visor from aluminum. Fairly easy to build, cut from aluminum sheet and make bends using a vise. This will be polished also later on.

xgtl5sYh.jpg

AoKPjmih.jpg

OJhcp9Ah.jpg

More to come...

I polished the new exhaust mounts and made a roof spoiler to tie it all together for a finished look

z4bh8uRh.jpg

Also added some mirrors I ordered from rcmart.com

WTNed8Ih.jpg

I polished the sun visor

NflAyFKh.jpg

0dasRqSh.jpg

9F6XRbEh.jpg

AOG358lh.jpg

Im pretty happy with how these parts turned out

KQXC05kh.jpg

yVTVn12h.jpg

I'm doing away with the chrome wheels using Easy Off oven cleaner to melt away the chrome.

Yellowish plastic in the Bullhead wheels
zrfMdHnh.jpg

And black plastic from the black edition Clodbuster
P6z8HLkh.jpg

Wheels primed and painted white using Tamiya spray paint

3gAtWrXh.jpg

A83i4vOh.jpg

Moi8fYhh.jpg

Converting to a split window and adding wipers from a Grand Hauler kit

YyYbqKUh.jpg

JnZKNPFh.jpg

More to come...

Onto the paint work and masking, oh how I hate masking...

T6cwCLvh.jpg

Pyw1pKGh.jpg

eaFtzKBh.jpg

YqXDmtXh.jpg

Q22QKwAh.jpg

NvQ1JFAh.jpg

ubJriQRh.jpg

sx3591Hh.jpg

eLVrgkth.jpg

ePYISIWh.jpg

ot4wSJ3h.jpg

UQQt3kNh.jpg

6n9W593h.jpg

MXFw4kth.jpg

lRjpVQlh.jpg

jqlO5G4h.jpg

nnXonS1h.jpg

0CiqAvih.jpg

Ezmi8aUh.jpg

55f5ezdh.jpg

pW9TfWBh.jpg

xiNTYnth.jpg

Although I dont enjoy the process it is very satisfying removing the masking tape and seeing the end result. Tamiya masking tape works great. The colors and paint scheme are those from a local heavy hauling and crane company, I'll be adding their logo and some other detail stickers later on.

Paint turned out great, and I really like the way it looks now with the stacks moved to the rear of the cab"thumbsup"

Thanks for the compliments

I printed some decals that I think turned out pretty good for just using a cheap printer. I used Avery 22822 clear labels which worked good for the KW logos where the background shows through the clear, but if you want white lettering or background like on my Irving Equipment decal then I had to print the same logo on white stick on labels and then the clear over top it.

vHk01mNh.jpg

CodUsIJh.jpg

FDLNnoXh.jpg

I made some aluminum plates for under the door and step, polished finish.

NWaxNFOh.jpg

Started building the snow plow mount

cISjG2Bh.jpg

sRkNldMh.jpg

6iXEWxZh.jpg

yd2tCP4h.jpg

Paint turned out Awesome.
Custom chassis looks Great.
Can't wait to see that snow plow in action.

Thanks

Some more work on the plow today. I have the servo and fake hydraulic cylinder setup and the plow mount bolted to the truck. I'll be revising the linkage a bit to help get rid of some of the flex.

tSdYFr4h.jpg

00hrgIdh.jpg

IsIJJQRh.jpg

opld1GDh.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zbYLAGZno_k" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XCYzgqRDC04" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Got the plow finished up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dU6bikxgtYI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7lmTbNXl.jpg

0L0taovl.jpg

ap0qgZ8l.jpg

QGktyxrl.jpg

jLwA54ul.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is really cool! Especially combined with it being a functioning plow. Great work!

Back