• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

5 slots and drag brake - capra

Topher Builds

I wanna be Dave
I’ve been running a hobbywing 1080 and a reedy Radeon 2 5 slot motor in my capra and while its smooth and has enough wheel speed, I just can’t seem to get enough drag brake out of it. After tweaking and maxing out the brake settings on the esc it still rolls on hills easily, including on slight inclines.

Is this a common theme among 5 slots? I’ve considered trying a Holmes 5 slot but I’m not sure how much more drag brake I’d get out of it. All of my other rigs are brushless so I’m not very familiar with brushed motors, but those can stick on fairly steep inclines and I’d like to get somewhere close to that with a brushed motor if possible, rather than spending a couple hundred on a new brushless combo. The 5 slot is appealing for the Capra since it is geared fast for a crawler, but I’m open to other suggestions as well. Any input appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the magnets in Holmes motors are MILES ahead of reedy. You can expect much higher drag brake, torque and less heat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep a more powerful magnet will provide a stronger drag brake.

In my experience 5 slots are not lacking much in the drag brake department though they aren't quite as strong as a 3 slot. I've only run HH 5 slots and they've always had enough drag brake in the many different crawlers I have.

Maybe its the combination of the Ready motor and the high gearing the Capra has (or so I've heard).

Okay that’s good to know, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking a crawlmaster expert may be a good option if that’s the case, at $50 it’s a lot cheaper than the brushless alternatives.

I've got a crawlmaster expert 13T 540 in my Wraith with a 1080 that will pick up the back tires on concrete, granted I agree that the gearing difference may play a part in that. I think you might be in the market for a new motor!

Back