• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

2.2" 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Trail Rig

Glad to see some updates to this Rig. Looking good. That body came out great "thumbsup".

The axle swap was definitely a good idea. Looks much better.

Thanks!

The axle swap was planned from the day I ordered this body, I knew the WKs would be way too wide. I think it looks like it's supposed to now.

I am really thinking about taller tires, but I need to wait on some cash anyways, I lost the great deal on the Flat Irons, but I hope they have a similar one soon (or someone else does.) Maybe by the time I have the cash, pitbull will have their rockers out...

The paint was almost a last minute decision. I was going to go with the murdered out look, but after I saw the body all flat black, and the wheels, and everything, I figured a little color wouldn't hurt it.

I am really thinking about taller tires, but I need to wait on some cash anyways, I lost the great deal on the Flat Irons, but I hope they have a similar one soon (or someone else does.)

Sold a few things, and picked up 3 pairs of New M2 Flat Irons for $33 shipped. Also possibly trading some other things for a set of axial wheels and hammers (to use for the sidewall and beads.) Will know by tomorrow if the other person wants to trade or not.

I will have to make some tall foams, but I have an idea on how to do that.

Updates coming hopefully this weekend...

monkeyracer - if you're interested I have a set of stock wheely king wheels and tires, you could narrow them and might get the look you're going for...pm me if interested and I'll get you some pics of the wheels/tires I have.

Example - NOT MY TIRES!
DSCN1094.jpg

where did u get that body

Thanks rogue, that answers his question...

I have a set of stock wheely king wheels and tires, you could narrow them and might get the look you're going for

Well...

Sold a few things, and picked up 3 pairs of New M2 Flat Irons for $33 shipped. Also possibly trading some other things for a set of axial wheels and hammers (to use for the sidewall and beads.) Will know by tomorrow if the other person wants to trade or not.

I will have to make some tall foams, but I have an idea on how to do that.

Updates coming hopefully this weekend...

I've got 3 pairs of Flat Irons, and just picked up the trade for the hammers, So I am covered on wheels and tires. I'll narrow the Axial 8-holes to just under 1" and put the tall hammer/irons on once I make them. I expect to have the flat irons maybe monday or tuesday?

In other news. I stayed up a little late last night working on this. I wanted to find a better place for the wiring, and get it all up front, so I made a litte box (which will be remade very soon) to house everything. It's not waterproof, but it mounts everything between the rails over the front but under the plate that the Winch mounts to.

I got it all together, and plugged in my spare Mini LST esc to see if I could get the winch working again, and all the ESC does is blink at me even after trying to calibrate it. Oh well, Part of the trade with the hammers was also for an Axial ESC which I will use as my new winch controller. It will be able to handle any kind of motor I put on the winch, even up to a 540 motor :evil: (maybe in the works if I can find the right gearbox for it...)

Since the winch wasn't working, I took it off for now and got it on the pavement and broke the aluminum driveshafts I had... great, already... They held up fine up till now, so I didn't think they'd go so quickly (they are over a year old though.) Now I need to find some driveshafts that won't break (themselves or the bank.)

Another update, lots of stuff done, pics coming tomorrow...

Since the last update I've done the following:

I made my Tall Irons, and from 6x flat irons, 4x hammers, and 1x rock lizard I got 4x 5.5" Tall Irons, and 1x 5.2" Spare Iron.
Then, I narrowed and painted some Axial 8-Hole beadlocks, painted them grey. Also cut some custom 5.5" x 1" foams and stuffed two per tire and mounted it all up. (No weight, for now, but I am thinking of putting 4 oz in each front and 2 oz in each rear...)

As mentioned before, I stuffed the ESC, BEC, and wires in between the frame rails, all hidden nice and neat. Also made a little box to mount the Winch in the rear under the bed, along with it's ESC (from an AX10) and it's battery. Also replaced the Mini LST 370 motor with a Titan 380 (from a Mini E-Revo) and ran some rod ends to guide the winch line to the front.
Now the main battery sits sideways under the hood, to try and keep weight up front.

I drilled out the Axial outputs and installed a solid 6mm rod so that I could install some E-Revo driveshafts (damn those things are huge, won't have to worry about breaking anything there.) I also drilled a 2.5mm hole in the Axle Input shaft so that I could use the traxxas screw that came with the E-Revo shafts.

Also, with the bigger tires, it was more apparant that the wheelbase was off, so I extended the rear about 1/4" or so, using some Revo rod ends and 4mm set screws, to center the tire in the wheel well. I still need to replace the rod ends for the front links, and get some black delrin rod (rear uppers are white since that's all I had left.) Also, I needed to raise the ride height a little to prevent the larger tires from getting in the body work, which was as easy as moving the shock mount holes.

I added some graphics to the body; a few Axial, Proline and JC Auto Design stickers, as well as a custom license plate. I want to go get some Race Numbers (Number 34...), and a few Traxxas decals to complete the graphics though.

Oh ya, also I got sorta lucky when I was trying to figure out an easier way to mount the body but leave it easy to remove to access the battery. I screwed in some coarse thread screws and the cut off the heads, and originally planned on using magnets or strong velcro (industrial strength) to keep it closed, but what I found out is the screws are just slightly off from lining up right in the holes in the frame, and the threads actually click in to secure the body. (Still using the rod-end hinge in the rear)

I still have some work to do on it:

Replace the front rod-ends with the revo ends
Re-do the electronics and winch plates
Add weight to the wheels
Finish adding the graphics
Make or buy a new skid plate
Modify the skeleton driver so his hand stays on the wheel (so it turns when the wheel turns)
Get some LEDs wired up and installed
Possibly upgrade to a Summit trans, maybe, still trying to decide...

I'm heading to Moab (on the way to Vegas) bright and early tomorrow, so I will try and take some pictures in the sunlight on the rocks and try to post them from the hotel room tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Ok, no Moab pics, didn't have time to bring the truck out, but we'll be back in moab this weekend on the way back to CO, and I plan on getting some good pics then... For now, here's some hotel pics:

S5003748.jpg

S5003747.jpg

S5003739.jpg

90 degree approach angle:

S5003742.jpg

Revo Driveshafts:

S5003733.jpg

Tall Irons:

S5003729.jpg

Width with Tall Irons:

S5003751.jpg

S5003755.jpg

Those tires turned out great "thumbsup".

I like how your graphics job turned out also.

Thanks!

The tires seem to work well, at least from the little bit of testing I've been able to do, and they were half the cost of Rok Lox...

There are still a few more decals I want to add like number plates and some traxxas and maybe a rockstar decal on the hood. (Rockstar may be cliché, but I drink a lot of it, and almost always will have one at a comp.)

I didn't want to just throw decals on, only companies I use in/on/for the truck. Too bad it's not real sponsorships, it would be nice to get free stuff for it.

I still haven't gotten good body up pictures, and I will try to get some when I get back to Moab.

Last edited:
Finally some rock pictures!

S5003842.jpg

S5003854.jpg

S5003850.jpg

S5003843.jpg

S5003865.jpg

S5003851.jpg

And my Favorites:

S5003856.jpg

S5003857.jpg

S5003860.jpg

I've got to get started on my to-do list (I posted a few posts back) when I get back home...

I love it. I was trying to build a Dodge truck scaler also, and only managed to find a lexan Dodge body. What part number for the Radio Shack body?

That whole truck looks sick! The paint you chose looks like an awesome match! Awesome job "thumbsup"

That whole truck looks sick! The paint you chose looks like an awesome match! Awesome job "thumbsup"

Thanks, I love the Black/Burgundy paint jobs:

Photo_020408_004.jpg

Where can you get this body at ? That would match my 1.1 ranger.

That's DanielK's build, so I don't know. They've been discontinued for a few years now, so it will be pretty hard to find one.

Back