• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Yeti XL front diff issues

Chruck-guy

Hello YXL experts out there. I'm hoping to get your help.....first let me say that I have done a decent amount of searching on here but still unsure what my problem is.

Anyway, I recently took my YXL to the beach. Bashing around I noticed a loud clicking sound. Upon tearing it down for cleaning, I was expecting to see the problem and fix it easily. While I am 99% sure it's a front diff problem, I am not sure why this problem showed up. It's an rtr version, with stock STRAIGHT cut gears. No HD gears. I have a Hot Racing aluminum diff housing and Hot Racing aluminum diff cup installed, and was running problem free until I noticed this at the beach. Running on 4s.

I did notice that there seems to be way too much slop forwards and backwards. As in the diff assembly moved forwards and backwards in the housing. I hadn't noticed this before. Almost looks like it needs bigger bearings but I'm using the stock ones which haven't been a problem. I also found that with the wheels removed, the front diff would spin, noise free in the housing, but as soon as I installed the wheels again the clicking come back. It's especially noticeable when braking. So it seems obvious there is some sort of problem with the gear mesh. But I've taken it apart and reinstalled it 4 times now and can't seem to get it fixed. Am I missing something obvious? I'd love to have somebody point out an obvious flaw and we can all point and laugh, and then I can fix the problem knowing 100% what it is and get back to enjoying my Yeti.

I'm st work now so can't post pics but I can this evening if needed. Thank you to anybody who responds.

Just shotgunning here but have you checked your transmission pinion/spur gear mesh? I have an RTR that still ran but was making a clicking sound and it turned out to be my transmission pinion gear came loose. It wasn't making full contact with the spur gear causing the clicking. It would be worth taking a look and all you have to is take the tranny cover off to look at it.

Update:

In response to the only guy who replied to me, it is not my transmission. I checked it. I also isolated both front and rear diffs and the clicking is definitely in the front diff.

Anyway I emailed Axial support and they are sending me out some new HD gears free of charge which I GREATLY appreciate. I'm thinking I'll probably be getting the RC4WD rear axle housing soon, and I'll probably just go ahead and do the BHB gear mod as well as order new bearings. If all that doesn't fix it then pigs can fly.

Hey that's great on the complimentary gears. Were any of your gear teeth broken? You wont regret the upgrades for sure. Another suggestion would be to upgrade you diff cups to aluminum.

In my original post, I stated that I have hot racing aluminum diff cups front and rear.

No broken gear teeth either. So hopefully these new ones along with new bearings fixes my issue.

Back