• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Wraith/DMG Thug build.

GTSLOW

Rock Crawler
So I recently picked up a Death Metal Garage Thug. I received the truck yesterday and have been scrambling to get it ready for Sundays end of the season crawl. Here's some of my progress over the last 24hours and the build sheet.

Starting point:
wVTkN2O.jpg

Stripped down:
ZrBbvki.jpg

Some of the parts going:
y0CLhnv.jpg

The stages of my inner fender build:
GVGks9g.jpg

D5Qv9I9.jpg

pe68pha.jpg

The donor:
HVaoQGy.jpg

Some after shots:
NDpMSbo.jpg

fZ7dTYR.jpg

j2MnHv8.jpg

Not picture - I also picked up a set of hardend steel trans gears from my LHS.

Things left:

1) pickup a 2-56 tap and clean out all the body mounting holes
2) secure the RX/BEC and clean up wiring
3) mount body panels
3.5) figure out how to secure the hood
4) program MMP
5) enjoy

Build (I'll update this later).

o Death Metal Garage "THUG" chassis
o Castle Mamba Max Pro
o Castle BEC @ 6v
o Savox 1230MG servo
o Tekin ROC 412 3100Kv (thinking of dropping to something in the low 2000Kv range)
o Robinson 10T pinion (less than ideal, but it's just to freaking fast otherwise)
o Axial 56T spur w/ slipper completely cranked down
o Axial Hardend Steel transmission gear set
o Axial universals
o Axial hardend gears
o MIP driveshafts
o Dlux front and rear carbon trusses
o Vanquish limiting straps (F/R)
o Vanquish Differential Covers
o Vanquish Wraith Stage 1 (lockouts, c-hubs, etc.)
o Vanquish Shock mounts
o Vanquish steering tie rod mounts
o Vanquish 3/16 titanium links and tie rod
o Proline Powerstroke shocks
o Geadhead 2.2 CAC EZ-lock derlin beadlocks
o Flat Iron XL's
o Novak micro cooling fans

Last edited:
Damn, that chassis looks freakin sweet! I didn't know DMG made complete chassis. I can't believe how wide those flat irons are, like PitBull XORs. They bulge even on gearheads but they look badass. I'd love to see video of this thing in action.

All electronics are in and secure. I can't believe how I was able to some what cleanly cram everything into the small space. So the front area accommodates my 3S 3000mah pack, the Mamba Max, FlySky receiver, CC BEC, and all that damn extra wiring. I also have the Y-harness for the fans which on warm days I can EASILY plug in and have lots of air moving through there. Last thing I did was drilled a series of holes in the rear cowl area of the hood to allow the air coming in a place to exit. Currently have a small plastic brace I made drying after I painted it black. Going to glue that in tomorrow to add re-enforcement to the area of the hood where the holes are.

I owe pictures of the wiring and hood tomorrow!

Also driving to Topeka in hopes of finding a 2-56 tap so I can finally get the body panels on. Paint apparently got inside of them during that process and the threads are all buggered up. Small amount of paint on a 2-56 screw = impossible to get in right.

So here's the update:

Fender wells complete!
w8lCMVb.jpg

Another...
aEvd9qE.jpg

And one more.
jLhhrbj.jpg

Hood closed.
jA7TtAS.jpg

Cleaned out the threads on the cage and got the body panels mounted.
g1lC3Js.jpg

Drilled the hood cowl and added a small brace (for sale sign is awesome).
dIIobQy.jpg

Couldn't leave the cut out for the fans open. Made a grille.
xN304ks.jpg

Time to find a way to secure the hood.

Basswood = light and semi strong. Here's the mock up shot.
D5dBSRr.jpg

Painted, wrapped in electrical tape, screwed down, and velcro'd. They turned out really nice!
8UOgYzJ.jpg

Mounted chewie and called it a night.
4lM5id0.jpg

The Flat Iron XLs were EPIC on the sand stone. Out of all the tires I've tried HB Rovers, Rockbeasts, Growlers, these were the best.

good to see the THUG chassis being used "thumbsup"
only 2 ever built.

this is what it looked like fresh off the bench !
good job & enjoy
the DmG

alt101-1.jpg

That's a sweet chassis. I must dust off my equipment and make myself something similar. Nice build!!!

Back