• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Winter project

DeltaWhiskey

My name is Dave, I’m new to the crawler world but not RC. I’ve been into aircraft and drones for years. I semi-recently grabbed a Mojave 6s rig and tweaked it some, it’s a blast.
There is a crawler spot that a local guy built on his property that I want to play on. I ordered a Redcat Danchee Ridgerock to goof around with, but I want to build a crawler from the ground up as a winter project. Budget around 1k. I have a spare Futaba 4PLS and 4 channel receivers on hand. I’d like something that’s not a “buy parts until you figure it out” project if that’s an option.

I thought I would just tweak the Ridgerock, but I’m not sure now. I think I want dual motor, 2 esc’s, 4ws, 2.2. I’m open to suggestions "thumbsup"

I assume you'd want a kit and not to piece something together?

Theres not too many kits out there with MOA and 2.2"s, first thing that comes to mind is the RC4WD Bully 2. I'm not a huge fan of RC4WD, quality is not always the best, cheap screw etc. Though the Bully is possibly one of their better products... maybe? If you go that route you need to tear down the tranny to ensure the bearings are correct (the sizing), there were issues with that and gears getting ruined instantly. This is a hardcore crawler focused rig, it has very little room for batteries maybe 400-900 mah, it will have a very short run time compared to everything else below.

If you can live with a shafty (single motor in the chassis not the axle and driveshafts of course) you have a lot more options, Bomber, Wraith, Gom, Rock Rey, Capra (some convert to 2.2" tires), Wendigo and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. most can be converted to 4WS

You may also want to consider a 1.9" tire rig which has a much bigger user base, more platforms, mods and again most can be converted to 4WS.

Last edited:
Yeah a kit was the goal. I searched a lot before posting here and figured it must be a unicorn. I’m pretty sure I can build a Ridgerock with all that for under $500 all in, but it will still have plastic gears which I’m not thrilled about.

Back