• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Why you should build an AX-10!

MOfroggy

We all have reasons for doing what we do and I wanted to give you some reasons for building your own AX-10 Scorpion rock crawler.
I am 62 years old with the reflexes of a cat ( a really old cat!) When I decided to get back into the RC world I realized that the risk/reward ratio of me trying to build and fly a RC plane were skewed definitely in favor of the risk favor. I made the critical error of thinking that I could accomplish the same thing on the ground, so I bought a Revo 3.3. (Actually I bought 2 of them, thinking that I could interest my friends in racing with me. I now have 2 Revo3.3’s that have only had the break in gas plus 2 more tank full’s for sale if you are interested!)
Finally I came to my senses and realized that all of my friends with cat like reflexes were either dead or didn’t care about going “scale” fast and running my $500+ toys into a wall and me giving them a hard time for messing up a perfectly good toy.
I decided that the natural thing to do was to buy a T-Maxx electric since it wasn’t so high maintenance and didn’t go as fast . Boy was I wrong about the fast (but I was right about the lower maintenance). After realizing that control with any racing type RC car coming is different than control going and not being able to figure it out in the .200 nanoseconds during which it was critical, I decided that I needed to move on to something else
I got into the RC Crawler business due to the influence of the great guys at “Wings and Wheels” hobby shop in Tyler Texas. They were very instrumental in showing me the good things about Crawling. I think they realized that I needed to slow down a bit and gain more control. There were two people there that had input. Matt and Jacob. Jacob talked me into letting him build me a Wheely King crawler. He did an excellent job. He did a lot of research on RCCrawler.com and made the best WK crawler available. I took it out to my rock pile and I was very impressed with what it would do. It was a LOT slower and more controllable...more my speed! I was very impressed with what it would do and how much control I had over it. It was a lot more capable than I was. If I didn’t pick the right line I realized that it was my fault, not the trucks.
I did the e-bay thing and ended up with 3 or 4 “ready to run, only add batteries" deals and Matt volunteered to take on the task of checking things out and making them ready to run. I did make a couple of good deals that were kind of ready to run but the rest of them were disasters. Matt is still working on them as we speak trying to make good deals (in my opinion) into something that will work.
My advice to anyone that buys a crawler on E-Bay is to make a bid with the expectation of spending 30% more than you paid getting it up to what you expected.
The next step was a visit to the RCCrawler.com site!!!!!. I found the AX-10 build site and I was hooked! I have an engineering degree from the University of Texas at Austin and I am always looking for things that scratch my itch for doing things with my hands and things that satisfy my need for doing things for myself. I bought an AX10 and after reading all of the hype on rccrawler.com I couldn’t wait to get mine. When it got here I kind of treated it like a Christmas gift. I waited till everybody else had gone to bed and opened the box and savored everything in there! Plastic, Metal, Tools, decals,,,,!!!!!
I went through the build in about 5 evenings of two to three hours per session. There were a couple of hiccups on my part because I didn’t believe that the parts that they said were there were REALLY there, but after a careful search on my part, yeah, they were there, I just overlooked them.
I finally completed the build (MY BUILD) and I was as proud as I could be. There is something about building something like a crawler from a kit that is different. You know EVERY nut, bolt and screw in it. You also know that if something goes wrong, where to go to fix it since you put your time and effort into making it.
I took MY AX10 out today, a virgin, never run creation, and exposed it to my course and it preformed way past my expectations. Everything has it’s limitations and like I have always said, “It’s not me and my version of my crawler against you and your version of a crawler, it’s you and your crawler against the rocks”. I put the AX-10 through the same course as the modified WK.The AX10 preformed much better than the WK. The flex on the AX10 was 90 degrees on several occasions and seemed to improve as time went on. I have not reached the limitations of the AX-10, I have only reached my limitations as the “driver”.
If you have been thinking about getting the AX10 kit and building it yourself, trust me, it will be worth your time and money. It is a quality kit with good instructions that will get you to a Crawler that you know in and out and will be proud of.
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to tell you about the experience of “making” my own Crawler from the AX-10 kit but I wanted to convey to you the satisfaction I have experienced in assembling my own creation and seeing it run way past anything I had experienced before.
Thanks for reading this far!
MOfroggy

Hey MOfroggy nice write up. Post some photos, would like to see the finished product. What color did you paint this bad Boy? I decided to go with the HPI bug body..Now I can't wait to finish mine.."thumbsup"

Glad you like it!

I just placed the order for mine this morning from RPP Hobbies ebay store. Hope to get it soon!!

Mr. MOfroggy

The AX10 is my first RC vehicle since the early 70's when I was a toddler. I too could'nt be happier with the build. I am impressed at the engineering of a $235 dollar 'toy'. One more component addition - the crawlmaster and I will take my first RC steps in over 20 years.

cwkoehler

ive been in Rc a while but the Axial was my first crawler, and boy was I impressed with its quality... cant wait to perfect my driving and get better.

Nice write-up man. Its good to hear positive reviews on the ax-10, especially to those of us who are still saving up for one. I am ordering mine this coming friday. Can't wait for it to arrive.

MOfroggy, nice wright-up. I am not far behind you in years. I too have found it hard to find people to Bash with. If it were not for my son who is in his early thirty's I would not have a bash buddy. All the young guns do not think they can have fun with an old guy. The thing is, at our age we can bash harder an more because we can afford the breakage. I almost like working on my RC's more that running them. We have a pretty good size stable of cars/trucks of all kinds, 5MPH crawlers to 80MPH Serpent.

I would love to bash the Monster trucks with you. We have Savages. I have almost finished my Scorpion build. Wating for the Goat system to arrive. Would also like to meet some where and crawl.

PM if you are interseted. We can start an Old Guy's Club. LOL

Cheers
Neil

Now that really explains the joy of building your own rig very well.

MOfroggy, Congrats on your new toy you will love the sport of crawling for years to come since you started with a great rig. I too realy enjoyed the great work Axial put into organizing the kit into an easy and well thought out build. I just finished the paint on my HPI Baja bug body and I will be taking this bad boy out for his maiden run tomorrow with Erin. If it performs half as wel on the rocks as it did on my "Couch Cushion Course" then this will be the first of many Axials in my garage of fun!!

Great write up!!

Been in and out of crawling for a few years. Getting back into it now. Ordered an AX10, waiting for it now. From all I have read this seams like the best choice to get into or back into crawling.

I really can't wait to get one! I'll take mine with a K5 body and a huuuuge pile of rocks....mmmm.

And thanks for the input! I was already sold on getting one, but threads like these get me all crazy with anticipation!

haha very nice writeup, i got out of the rc scene after getting fed up with nitro tuning, maybe it was just me but i could never keep it tuned, i said if i ever got back into rc it would be electric, ive been into rock crawling since i was very young and jeeps moab etc are very close to me so when i saw the opportunity to have this and rc i was in! now i have an ax10 and i think im going down the comp rig route but i think i may purchase axials new scaler and have one of each as well! best of luck to you, you will enjoy as all of us do

haha very nice writeup, i got out of the rc scene after getting fed up with nitro tuning, maybe it was just me but i could never keep it tuned, i said if i ever got back into rc it would be electric, ive been into rock crawling since i was very young and jeeps moab etc are very close to me so when i saw the opportunity to have this and rc i was in! now i have an ax10 and i think im going down the comp rig route but i think i may purchase axials new scaler and have one of each as well! best of luck to you, you will enjoy as all of us do

Broncodude! Sounds like we are twins.

Tired of Nitro Tuning!
Jeeps/Moab etc!
Running an Axial 2.2 comp and building an SCX-10(incredible kit)
And I am guessing by your screenname you drive a bronco. I have a 69 Bronco in my garage that I drive when its nice out.

I love this site it seems like everyone has a ton in common.

I'd like to add "thumbsup" for the write up as well. I just got back into RC's after a buddy told me about these rc crawlers. After doing a lot of reading to make sure I don't go through too many I've started with a berg build but I am going to get a ax10 for my daughter to play with. It's nice that she still want's to hang out with daddy at 13..

Back