• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Which winch to use?

flascx10

Quarry Creeper
Im picking up my first brand new SCX10 HONCHO thisweekend, and i want to get a winch as one of the first mods on it. Ive seen alot of the 3Racing winches around, but I found the Bulldog wireless, brushless 1/10 scale winch by RC4WD. I want to know which one is more dependable, stronger, and durable. Id like to have the wireless one so i dont have to get a new controller. What are your guys comments, concerns? thanks guys. ebay link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-10-Scale-Bull...Accessories&hash=item3f03fafb6d#ht_3249wt_905

rc4wd has :

spare gearbox
steel wire
king-kong hook

3racing has:

no steel wire
stupid hook
no spare gearbox

RC4WD"thumbsup" But get the brushed motor version 9300, not brushless, if you plan on getting wet.

And when you tear up either one, use it as a dummy and build a servo winch.:mrgreen:

ok lol. When I get my SCX10, another thing i want to do to it is waterproof it. I hear of using balloons and condoms. Is appoxi dipping a good idea?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but by Plastidipping or using a balloon on your esc, wont it get hot? I understand you arent running a race truck or anything but I figured it would still need to get some cool air across it to keep from overheating? I've never tried either method, so please dont take it like I'm calling anyone out, I was just curious lol.

There is a vid. on U-Tube by RC Adventures that gives a step by step process to dipping your ESC and servo. Very good info. and the guy said that he had not had any heat problems.

I could make a YouTube video about how to circumsize yourself, and claim to not having issues as well. It doesn't mean its right. But hey. I would rather believe some guy on YouTube then a doctor anyways.

If plastidip was a good alternative to waterproofing, don't you thing electronics manufacturers would be doing it by now.

Anyways, RC4WD's brushed is the way to go. Or 3racing's, they all are pretty much the same. If you need to waterproof the controller. The unit is already heatshrinked, just add clear silicone that you would use for Windows or tubs, and seal both ends where the plug comes out.

Like R2j says, cases work great. I have used my HiTec servo cases for my electronics. You can easily fit a BEC, winch controller, Tekin FX-R, and a RX without issues.

As for the radio. You don't really need the wireless, there are cheap radios on the market with 2.4 3 channel or you can mod one. There are how too's in the electronics forum.

And a winch wouldn't be my first upgrade, I would add an R2j four link in the rear and a Hand bros. Steering kit for the front as the second thing. First would be to get rid of the ESC, RX, and motor. Replace that with a Tekin 35t system.

I could make a YouTube video about how to circumsize yourself, and claim to not having issues as well. It doesn't mean its right. But hey. I would rather believe some guy on YouTube then a doctor anyways.

If plastidip was a good alternative to waterproofing, don't you thing electronics manufacturers would be doing it by now.

Anyways, RC4WD's brushed is the way to go. Or 3racing's, they all are pretty much the same. If you need to waterproof the controller. The unit is already heatshrinked, just add clear silicone that you would use for Windows or tubs, and seal both ends where the plug comes out.

Like R2j says, cases work great. I have used my HiTec servo cases for my electronics. You can easily fit a BEC, winch controller, Tekin FX-R, and a RX without issues.

As for the radio. You don't really need the wireless, there are cheap radios on the market with 2.4 3 channel or you can mod one. There are how too's in the electronics forum.

And a winch wouldn't be my first upgrade, I would add an R2j four link in the rear and a Hand bros. Steering kit for the front as the second thing. First would be to get rid of the ESC, RX, and motor. Replace that with a Tekin 35t system.

Id also like to upgrade to the proline shock kit. what does the R2J four link and steering kit run?
The only reason Im getting little upgrades is if you buy a RTR rc vehicle at the local hobby shop, you get a MAJOR discount on all parts/accessories when you purchase the car.

RC4WD"thumbsup" But get the brushed motor version 9300, not brushless, if you plan on getting wet.

And when you tear up either one, use it as a dummy and build a servo winch.:mrgreen:

do they have a brushed with wireless connector? o_O do you mind sendingm e a link on a how to build a servo winch ? :)

Last edited:
Where is the cheapest/best place to get a brand new scx10 honcho rtr? Rc4wd has the best price I've seen so far.

There may be cheaper options, but honestly I would say a local Hobby shop. I have not seen where on bigger purchases that it saves any money after shipping, etc to buy online. Plus the friends you will make at the Hobby shop and help you will get when you run into the inevitable will pay off greatly. In this economy, the Hobby shops need all of the business they can get or they will all be soon gone.

I have used many of the sponsoring vendors on here for some things at times though. And never had a problem with any of them. So if you do not have a local place to support, then at least support someone who supports our interests!

There may be cheaper options, but honestly I would say a local Hobby shop. I have not seen where on bigger purchases that it saves any money after shipping, etc to buy online. Plus the friends you will make at the Hobby shop and help you will get when you run into the inevitable will pay off greatly. In this economy, the Hobby shops need all of the business they can get or they will all be soon gone.

I have used many of the sponsoring vendors on here for some things at times though. And never had a problem with any of them. So if you do not have a local place to support, then at least support someone who supports our interests!

ok, the local hobby shop has the scx10 honcho RTR for $300, and RC4WD has them for $280 so.... but yea, i go to the hobby shop for everything i need for my slash 4x4.

Back