• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

which radio is for me?

mallcrawler24

Pebble Pounder
so my receiver from my stock axial broke on me this weekend. the antenna broke off. so I'm weighing my options on what i should do next. i run 2 cars one is a crawler/u4rc car. the second is a sc10 short course truck. I want to use the same radio for both. i did this with the stock receiver and radio. but had to move the receiver between the 2. now I'm looking to upgrade to a radio that i don't have move the receiver.

2 i had in mind on a budget are:

1) futaba 3pl
Futaba 3PL 2.4G FHSS with R2004GF Rx

or

2) spektrum DX3E dsm 3
Spektrum DX3E DSM 3-Channel Transmitter Only

what are falls thoughts and opinions?
thanks

When I did a lot of racing the biggest headaches were always Spektrum based.
I went with Airtronics, a co-racer uses Futaba, both are solid & great.
I personally use an assortment of radios depending on what I'm doing.
I use inexpensive TX/RX units for my trail trucks so if I get caught in the rain or drop my TX it is inexpensive to replace.
I have a HobbyKing 6ch stick radio on a couple of rigs, they are $30 TX/RX set.
The Flysky radios are horribly slow for racing, but fine for a trail rig.
I'd never take my Airtronics MT4 out into the woods, but that's just me.
I let the kids use Airtronics Sport / MX-V radios for fun & at the races.

My .02c

You can't go wrong with a Futaba......love the radio.

or....an even cheaper way to go, would be a flysky GT3C, I use one and no problems yet.....and the receivers run around 6 to 8 bucks.

But I still really like Futaba's

Cheers,
Wade

I left spektrum for airtronics. Once I put a airtronics MT-4 in my hands, I never looked else where.

So as GLwagon stated, my kids run a MX-V..

I use my MT-4 for everything. Rocks, trail, rain, snow... But it's got some time on it.. Taking it in the woods isn't as bad as falling on the rocks with it..
But like anything new and nice, it's all different after the first scratches.. Lol.. (Mine has Many)

Another option is to buy a couple of Flysky 3 channel receivers which work with the Axial stock transmitter. (Its a re-branded Flysky)
You can find them for around $7 each shipped.
Flysky FS GR3C FS GR3E 3CH 2.4Ghz Receiver Fo FS GT3B GT2 GT3C GT2B With Failsafe-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

thats an option. do you have any proof that this would work? want to make sure before i spend money. and im guessing that once i connect them as long as i dont have both rigs on at once i wont have any problems.

i like this route. but is there any reason for me to upgrade radios?

I binded a hobbyking 3ch v2 RX to an axial radio 2 days ago. Same thing as flysky.

For racing I use futaba. For crawling I use a hacked Flysky GT3c.

i have a stock axial radio at the moment. it can do that?
The stock axial controller can run as many rx's as you bind to it, but the adjustments will be off because it only has 1 model memory. The gt3c has 99 model memory and 8 channels of control (for 4ws, winches, lights, etc) after you hack it, plus it will bind to the same flysky rx that the stock axial tx will. It comes with a rx for $50 shipped on ebay from USA so order one of those while I try and find a link to the rx by itself shipped from states.

Edit: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...g_GT_2_2_4Ghz_Receiver_3Ch_US_Warehouse_.html is what you want. Check the link below in my sig for some other things you might want to combine shipping, like batteries, charger, etc.

Last edited:
You want multiple model memory. That way you dont have to spend 10 minutes adjusting trims/epas/dual rates everytime you switch rigs.

thats an option. do you have any proof that this would work? want to make sure before i spend money. and im guessing that once i connect them as long as i dont have both rigs on at once i wont have any problems.

i like this route. but is there any reason for me to upgrade radios?

This thread has the info on the AX3 and the FlySky receivers it is compatible with. It is a good read even if you decide to go with another radiol
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/333467-axial-ax-3-review-tear-down.html

ok gotcha now is the question do i want model memory or not. bc the 2 cars have alot of adjustments between the 2
It all comes down to money and how much you want to spend.
Using the stock radio, you will have to reset the adjustments when switching between rigs, but your cost is under $20.

If you get an unhacked GT3C and one more receiver your cost is about $60.

For a little more you can get a hacked GT3C with more features and up to 8 channels. Flysky GT3C

With Futaba and some of the other options just a single receiver gets to be between $40 and $50 each. But they are nicer radios.

If the budget isn't an issue, I would go with the Futaba 4PLS. Fast radio + telemetry.

Airtronics mx v. Is a budget rx tx. It proforms very well, has 10 model memory,and rx is waterproof 3 channels. The controller costs about 75.00 and extra rx are 50. Yes the rx are pricy but no glitch problems or interference issues at all.

The stock axial controller can run as many rx's as you bind to it, but the adjustments will be off because it only has 1 model memory. The gt3c has 99 model memory and 8 channels of control (for 4ws, winches, lights, etc) after you hack it, plus it will bind to the same flysky rx that the stock axial tx will. It comes with a rx for $50 shipped on ebay from USA so order one of those while I try and find a link to the rx by itself shipped from states.

Edit: HobbyKing® ™ GT-2 2.4Ghz Receiver 3Ch (US Warehouse) is what you want. Check the link below in my sig for some other things you might want to combine shipping, like batteries, charger, etc.

Flysky FS GT3C 3CH 2 4GHz LCD Transmitter RC Car Truck GR3C Receiver | eBay
this what your talking about?

also will i need to get a cable ofr binding the rx and tx together?

Last edited:
I second the Airtronics MT-4. Use it with my racers, my MOA crawler and my trail rig. Can't beat it. Well, I guess you can, I have an MT-4s now too. Great radios.
I have a MT-4s now too, sitting in a box, waiting for rain and snow to turn to spring!

I stole it off eBay for 185$ shipped NIP w/rx!!!!!
I'll baby it, till them first scratches, anyways

Back