• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My beef with RTR

I have only been in the hobby a day or two, but I will go ahead and give my unqualified opinion on this topic...

Generally, I like kits, which I believe is the preference for anyone that has been in the hobby a while.
• You generally get better chassis hardware.
• They are less expensive (no paying for electronics you don't want)
• You know how the thing went together, which gives you confidence when repairing or upgrading
• You don't have RC electronics laying about that you are not going to use, and don't have to go through the hassle of getting rid of them.

RTRs, and RTR electronics have their purpose.
• A lot less learning curve for the new kid, or a new to you model. (New kids are the lifeblood of any hobby, you have to make it easy for them to get their feet wet with a shallow learning curve).
• No muss, no fuss start up. I just about a TRX4m, I would have liked a kit version, but I threw the battery in and had fun.
• From time to time (Axial and Element), the kit instructions are less than complete. Sometimes you can guess your way through it, sometimes not, it really depends on your experience.

Form me, rarely will an RTR keep its TX/RX and ESC, those are the first I gut, and I try to sell the TX/RX if I can, but, a lot of times I end up taping the RX to the TX, and dumping it into my RC Drawer of Despair. The ESCs I normally save as a drop-in for when I am working on a project, and need something quick for testing.

JMHO... :rolleyes:

I have found myself, at this stage of RC'ing, buying used/abused/rollers a rehabbing them to sell so as I can do it all over again. I'm lucky to break even, usually I take a hit. However I do enjoy working on these little cars and trucks. Plus it hones my skills for when my rigs need repair. For my own stable, I only buy kits. On the rare occasion that I do buy a RTR, I save all the take offs to repair my many flipping projects. My .02

Each to it's own... I also prefer kits to RTRs but I suggest RTRs to beginners. Not for the task of building per se but because it is assembled, painted, tuned and has all the electronics. RCs are a bit overwhelming for a beginner, specially with all the electronics to choose from

I scratchbuilt and my rigs but I had a RTR. A Rochobby Willys 1:6 that is only possible to get in RTR form but I like it. It is refreshing to have a uncomplicated rig

my first hobby grade rc was a kit the old fx10 i dont think they even made rtrs back then

my first crawler was a rtr spawn

if a rtr is cheap enuff and i like it might buy it rather than build one like my fms jimny mostly for instant gratification

honestly i feel both rtrs and kits are a waist of money i would much rather peice meal mine together that way im not paying for stuff i dont want and just start with the upgraded parts out the gate

my first hobby grade rc was a kit the old fx10 i dont think they even made rtrs back then

my first crawler was a rtr spawn

if a rtr is cheap enuff and i like it might buy it rather than build one like my fms jimny mostly for instant gratification

honestly i feel both rtrs and kits are a waist of money i would much rather peice meal mine together that way im not paying for stuff i dont want and just start with the upgraded parts out the gate
Interesting thought because often you end up paying way more when piecing vehicles together. Have you ever done real cost analyses on your builds to see how much you spend buying parts vs starting with a kit or RTR? I'm genuinely curious.

Last night I was thinking I want an H10, but I want a kit and since that is not offered, maybe I could piece it together. That seems very expensive though.

Interesting thought because often you end up paying way more when piecing vehicles together. Have you ever done real cost analyses on your builds to see how much you spend buying parts vs starting with a kit or RTR? I'm genuinely curious.

Last night I was thinking I want an H10, but I want a kit and since that is not offered, maybe I could piece it together. That seems very expensive though.
It depends on what you're building. Going with a mostly stock build like an Optic? Cheaper to buy the RTR and sell off what you dont want. Doing a complete custom competition build? It will be cheaper to buy new parts from one of the guys parting kits out on FB unless you feel like selling off parts yourself.

I used to buy kits just to keep a couple parts and sell the rest off. That way you end up getting what you want for cheap or free in some cases. Say you just want a set of F10 Portals...~$225 for the Carbon portals from a part out. Or you could buy a Carbon kit to keep the axles and sell the rest....transmission for $160, shocks for $40, chassis for $50, links for $50, driveshafts for $20. That would make the axles cost you $110. Shipping and fees would add to that a bit though.

ya ive documented alot of the costs of my most recent builds
im poor so every doller spent is has to be budgeted out so i dont end up hungry at the end of the month

if i buy a kit or rtr im gonna replace the axles the gears the transmission and in the case of rtrs motor and esc and radio and tires and aluminum wheels so since im buying all the upgrades ether way i would rather not pay for the parts im not gonna use

heres 1 thread the chopra build the mudder trucker build

heres another one gen7 super secret service build

both builds was to see how cheap i could build a fully upgradded rig with the parts i like anyway

the gen7 came first and some "whitetrash" one sead anyone could build a cheap 10.2 and ya thats true but then i wanted to see how cheap i could build a mostly off the shelf lcg rig and thats how the second rig came about

Last edited:
Back