• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What upgrade parts should I consider

project_mayhem

Pebble Pounder
Looking to buy a ridgecrest next month, and was wondering what kind of upgrade parts I should get. I've heard of issues with axle c's and steering knuckles. I'm mainly going to be using it as an all-around fun truck in my back yard. A little mud, rocks, small jumps, and general bush whacking. Just don't want something broken all the time. Input is appreciated.

you are on the right track as far as your first upgrades. the cheapest best thing to do is swap out the wood screws for machine screws on the front axle. if you haven't already read the c*h*u*d, bender, and mud honcho threads they are covering all that you will need to know.

i ordered softer springs, 50t motor, and beadlocks... and an upgraded steering servo as soon as i can.
and plan to replace the wood screws.

with more torque and articulation i will have to trim the body-possible lose that great body armor
but i crawl more than i bash. kinda fun with the 20t motor and stiff springs to BOUNCE our crawl...

I used 10 mm m3 screws with m3 washers for the knuckles. You need the washer or grind a bit of the screw to keep it from rubbing. I plan to replace all the screws with fine thread like the poster above. It's not that the coarse thread is that bad, but rather the screw threads aren't the full length of the screws. Cheap screws. The screws only threaded two threads into the c hubs. Mine were loose immediately after the first battery. I took off the bumpers, as they rubbed, and broke anyways. Making a better battery today. The body isn't too bad without the bumpers and with a good decal job.

e14c82e5.jpg

b5970b63.jpg

I would just just change the C-huns and knuckle so u don't have to worry about it. If u have the cash if not just change the screws.
Better steering is nice but other than that it a great truck right out of the box for bashing around the back yard"thumbsup"

I would just just change the C-huns and knuckle so u don't have to worry about it. If u have the cash if not just change the screws.
Better steering is nice but other than that it a great truck right out of the box for bashing around the back yard"thumbsup"

I'm curious how long the c hubs and knuckles will last. I'm willing to bet they won't fail until I upgrade the steering links and servo.

i have been having good luck with my plastic hubs and aluminum steering links. yes the steering sucks but like chevota said great truck.

Replacing the screws is a great idea! I would recommend a set of Beef Tubes so that the screws have something solid to screw into!

I'm curious how long the c hubs and knuckles will last. I'm willing to bet they won't fail until I upgrade the steering links and servo.
not long. 10 minutes out of box.
ridgecrest1.jpg

of course this is after a colision with a piece of rebar sticking up. hahaha.

Beef tubes, axial universals, knuckles and chubs, steering servo, servo armor(found one for 8 bucks in vendor section) to reinforce the ears of servo. We were having trouble with the servo mounts loosening then the ears would break off. After all this my five year old beats the snot out of it daily.

Question for yeah. I have gone through two knuckles on my ridgecrest, I tried to use the m3 screw as suggested on the second one but found the c-hub was already stripped to far to work. So I have ordered aluminium replacements, but I lost one of the flange pipes from the knuckle. Do I need to reuse these in the aluminium knuckles? If so, I'll have to order those too.

Question for yeah. I have gone through two knuckles on my ridgecrest, I tried to use the m3 screw as suggested on the second one but found the c-hub was already stripped to far to work. So I have ordered aluminium replacements, but I lost one of the flange pipes from the knuckle. Do I need to reuse these in the aluminium knuckles? If so, I'll have to order those too.

Yes you need them.

Back