• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Stray

Quarry Creeper
Howz it?

I have been into RC since I was 10 (25 years) I've had so many different cars over the years, it scares me to think about it! currently I have the Kyosho Mad Crusher which is just beautiful! and kept on the shelf...Various 1/10 road cars (I have a TRF 416 set up for 4s.. yes thats the kind of guy I am) a slash 4x4, and several others including a wraith and a Yeti. I live in metropolitan Melbourne (Australia) and have wonderful dusty dirty (and paved) trails at my door step. Now enough about me..

My wraith is ideal for the mid - low grip Yarra river walking tracks near my house, but its not real great at 50kph... (30mph)

I'll also note that I do not have a dedicated crawler...

which brings me to my questions....

should I

a) Get a bomber(kit) for going fastish, and turn my wraith into a Wroncho

b) Keep the wraith as is and get a SCX10ii Kit

c) Use my Yeti on the trails and turn the wraith into a Wronco (cheapest option)

will a well built wronco be as good as an SCX10ii?

and will a Bomber be better then a wraith in the mid speed stuff?

Im also open to other ideas... "what would you do?"

Thanks for your time, really enjoying the scale/crawling aspect at them moment and this forum is worth its weight in GOLD!! keep up the good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are 750 bucks here....

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Ohhhh. If you’re wanting a go fast trail rig how is the Twin Hammers supply down there. They look to be nearly discontinued though.

A Bomber can be made highly capable for a few bucks.

There are a few of them, I like the axial stuff due to local availability and after market support. What is the twin hammers like compared to a yeti? (I already have a yeti)

The Twin Hammers is to the Yeti, like the Yeti is to the Yeti XL.

The size difference is substantial.

If I were in your position...

I would use the Yeti for the faster high speed stuff, and run the wraith as a dedicaited crawler. Then pick up a Scx10II. The wraith will out perform the others with a few key mods and you can never have too many rigs...

One for each use...

The Twin Hammers is to the Yeti, like the Yeti is to the Yeti XL.

The size difference is substantial.

If I were in your position...

I would use the Yeti for the faster high speed stuff, and run the wraith as a dedicaited crawler. Then pick up a Scx10II. The wraith will out perform the others with a few key mods and you can never have too many rigs...

One for each use...
Thanks for the input guys, lots to think about

My Yeti is actually the trophy truck kit.... i just chucked the f150 body from proline on it, the kit came with the proper mounting gear for that shell.... i may even swap it back...
I have added a full metal rear end with the wide SSD centre pumpkin axle and xtraspeed trailing arms and links, so its actually pretty bad ass, and im thinking i may switch it back to the trophy truck..
I actually picked up a used SCX10 last night, should arrive tomorrow so once I have that tore down ill go through is and re-asses my options... ill keep you posted.

Well my scx10 arrived and it was in OK shape... I have left over axles from my yeti and my wraith so looks like I am going to build a Wroncho!
the current plan

- Yeti(tt) for bashing and fun. this is actually a really pretty car so I wont use it
much (I also have a beat up, heavily modified slash 4x4 for going nutz with)
- Wraith for walking the dog - my go everywhere rig use it break it upgrade it...
- Wroncho for crawling, also im mainly building this because I can and I like the
idea of having something that you cant buy off the shelf...

I have room in my life for one more crawler. options are
- scx10ii kit
- trx4 kit
- new hobao when it comes out
- 3Racing EX REAL
- redcat gen7 pro

any recommendations? I like to upgrade and i really dig the SSD pro axles for the scx10ii so im leaning towards that but i can be swayed!

thanks guys

SCX10 II
The crawling thing is a blast. I'm hooked on Vaterra Ascender, but if you like Axial then go for it.

here is the thing,

I can build an SCX10 II for about $400 AUD with all the upgrades I want (no electronics in that cost as I already have way to many...) Or i can buy a RTR TRX4 for $749 AUD. is the TRX4 basically twice as good as an upgraded
scx10 ii? i like traxxas stuff too, im not an Axial fanboy.. I mean i like axial too, just not in that way.....:lmao:

IMO the TRX is way over rated, and gaining so much notoriety simply because it's new. If they hold up and comp well then they'll earn their reputation, but the ones I've seen at two comps weren't as good as my custom Ascenders. And my buddy that got a stealth-version TRX is selling it, interests moving more to custom scale, and he likes his SCX10-II better for crawling and comp. So not everyone is so enamored with them. The short answer to your last question is 'no, they're not twice as good'. :)

The aftermarket for Axial is far ahead of everything else. You can pretty much create what your heart desires with that platform. And the KISS principle - I'm not a huge fan of all the extra servos on the TRX - I have no use for unlocking diffs, nor a 2-speed trans. And it's top heavy. YMMV.

I have room in my life for one more crawler. options are
- scx10ii kit
- trx4 kit
- new hobao when it comes out
- 3Racing EX REAL
- redcat gen7 pro

Take anything made by Axial out of consideration for this last one. Nothing against Axial, you just need more variety.

A Bomber is much better than a Wraith all around. I hate my Wraith. I love my Bomber. The Bomber crawls better and is much better at going fast. In my opinion the Axial Bomber is the best Axial vehicle. And if you build the kit is is the most well equipped Axial out of the box. Get the Bomber if you want a great all around crawling/go-fast trail rig.

Get the SCX10 II if you want a scale crawler.

IMO the TRX is way over rated, and gaining so much notoriety simply because it's new. If they hold up and comp well then they'll earn their reputation, but the ones I've seen at two comps weren't as good as my custom Ascenders. And my buddy that got a stealth-version TRX is selling it, interests moving more to custom scale, and he likes his SCX10-II better for crawling and comp. So not everyone is so enamored with them. The short answer to your last question is 'no, they're not twice as good'. :)

The aftermarket for Axial is far ahead of everything else. You can pretty much create what your heart desires with that platform. And the KISS principle - I'm not a huge fan of all the extra servos on the TRX - I have no use for unlocking diffs, nor a 2-speed trans. And it's top heavy. YMMV.

Do you own a TRX4? I suspect no. OP, Read Jato's thread on his new TRX4. He gives a lot of great insight on his experience with his new TRX4. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/595891-jato-got-bronco.html

Last edited:

I missed this comment the first time around. So you think the TRX-4 is overrated because of what you saw? Riiight... :roll:

So an out of the box TRX-4 isn't as good as custom Ascenders? :roll:

I don't know what a stealth TRX-4 is. Your buddy must have gotten a special special edition.

Anytime you want to meet up and crawl an out of the box RTR SCX10 II vs my out of the box RTR TRX-4 Bronco I'm game.

Do you own a TRX4? I suspect no. OP, Read Jato's thread on his new TRX4. He gives a lot of great insight on his experience with his new TRX4. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/595891-jato-got-bronco.html

Thanks! "thumbsup"

I stand by my comments - they were based on MY experience with my buddy's rig and with others running them at comp meets. IMO they are not twice better than everything else on the market. Period.
OP's question was whether they were twice better since they cost twice as much. We have one locally here for $350 with a battery if anyone wants it.
Personally I don't really care WHAT they choose in the end - it makes zero difference in my life. YMMV.

Back