• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Jeepers Keepers?

I have one running truck and one in the mail. Really can’t picture owning more than one or 2 but I have other hobbies (guitar, photography, painting, cooking). I have around $8k or so in photo gear last time I looked, it’s my most expensive hobby by far. Just realized I have 2 camera bodies, 2 guitars...2 must be my limit lol.

I am amazed how expensive this hobby is and how quickly it can add up. I quit 1:1 wheeling because it got too expensive and though I’d try this out, I love wheeling my tiny truck but fighting the urge to upgrade things that probably don’t really need upgraded is a real struggle lol.

Same here, one truck in my possession and one in the mail lol. This hobby definitely gets expensive very quick!

Same here, one truck in my possession and one in the mail lol. This hobby definitely gets expensive very quick!

I just keep thinking about all the money I saved on bodies, parts and accessories - since I bought a 3d printer.

Dunno what you guys mean about it being expensive.

:lmao:

I just keep thinking about all the money I saved on bodies, parts and accessories - since I bought a 3d printer.

Dunno what you guys mean about it being expensive.

Lmao! How’s that 3D printed servo going? Mine is handling good along with my 3D printed tires. They get great grip, wayyy better than those BFG Krawlers[emoji23][emoji23]

I haven't done anything with servos, yet.
Given time, who knows.

So far I am still getting the hang of printing and figuring out a software workflow that allows me to work completely in Linux.
Freecad, Meshlab and Cura have some learning curve, but I think I am nearly there.

So far most of what I have done is make a mess of a couple of rolls of PLA!

I have successfully printed a sample maze, a 2" long elephant and some of the parts for a Land Rover Series II, which is my first real goal.

By the time I am done I probably could have bought a body shell cheaper than making one, but... Learning fun new things.
Like how to extend parts to fit a wheelbase.

I haven't done anything with servos, yet.
Given time, who knows.

So far I am still getting the hang of printing and figuring out a software workflow that allows me to work completely in Linux.
Freecad, Meshlab and Cura have some learning curve, but I think I am nearly there.

So far most of what I have done is make a mess of a couple of rolls of PLA!

I have successfully printed a sample maze, a 2" long elephant and some of the parts for a Land Rover Series II, which is my first real goal.

By the time I am done I probably could have bought a body shell cheaper than making one, but... Learning fun new things.
Like how to extend parts to fit a wheelbase.

Sweet man! Im still getting the hang of it too lol. It’s definitely another learning curve and hobby in itself, but the printer will pay itself off, not to mention all the stuff you can print that either nobody sells, or they do sell it, but very expensive compared to how much it would cost for you to print. I tried Freecad, could never get hooked on it. I also tried Fusion 360, couldn’t start liking it either. I’m on Sketchup, which definitely has its limitations, but it works for now. All I’ve printed so far(that’s useful) is a hitch, a ladder/door for my trailer, and some magnet body mounts that won’t be used anymore lol. these are all done in PLA and designed in Sketchup. If/when these break, I’ll do them in PETG. trying to get good at PLA before I go learning something else with completely different temps/settings. The possibilities are endless, and If you can think of it, you can print it and it’ll hold up as long as you do it right!
1c2cc3933bca840c3f64514a93e6a62a.jpg

f04304e55e32fcd27253b9771b30fc22.jpg

47f08c4ca28d75bc5b7fbdb8601cbffe.jpg

11c3f657ced9806078ac10ba63b5e900.jpg

I have one running truck and one in the mail. Really can’t picture owning more than one or 2 but I have other hobbies (guitar, photography, painting, cooking). I have around $8k or so in photo gear last time I looked, it’s my most expensive hobby by far. Just realized I have 2 camera bodies, 2 guitars...2 must be my limit lol.

I am amazed how expensive this hobby is and how quickly it can add up. I quit 1:1 wheeling because it got too expensive and though I’d try this out, I love wheeling my tiny truck but fighting the urge to upgrade things that probably don’t really need upgraded is a real struggle lol.

I've sold a few but I'm currently at 19 guitars and not planning to buy any more. I think I've only sold two RC vehicles ever but as much as I mod them and as much as I tell myself that "I'm gonna get back into nitro one day", it's hard to sell my RC stuff. Doesn't take up much room either... unlike guitars lol. I've got a lot of full size Jeep and automotive parts around the garage too, but sort of like you, I don't do much hardcore rock crawling anymore. I still hit the public-land trails but my 1:1 was often my DD and it got unrealistic to wheel it hard... knowing I'd have to hit the road Monday mornings for work.

Whatever the hobby, you can't keep up with the Jones' forever lol.

Hobby

hob·by1
/ˈhäbē/

Noun

What you do with your <strike>discretionary</strike> cash to bring happiness to your life even if it means sacrificing other things like food, water, rent, clothing.....

Back