• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What ESC to upgrade to?

beardsnbeerz

I recently purchased a Holmes hobbies 13T 540 crawlmaster pro motor for my wraith 1.9. I just got into rcs in august, so I’m still kinda green. I looked at the hobby wing 1080, but from what I’ve seen I don’t think it will run a 13T motor. Just wondering what anyone would suggest for that motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1080 will run a 13t motor just fine. Hobbywing website states anything greater than 10 turn is fine. performance for price, the 1080 is your best bet

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Damn! That was quick! Thank you for your input. I’ve heard the 1080 is the best bang for the buck, just wanted to be sure it would run that motor. Amazon here I come!

I ran my 10t 550 crawlmaster pro in my heavy hotrod for about a year with no issues, not even a little bit hot. But its geared down quite a bit and that can make a difference.

The only issue with hobbywing 1080, is running a 3s battery with a 13T motor. I bought a 1080 anyway. If I burn it up, I’ll get a Holmes hobbies torquemaster esc.

A CrawlMaster Pro 540 13t has the equivalent of 2200kv, and your typical TrailMaster Sport 540 27t has 1800kv, the turns are NOT equivalent on the Crawlmaster 5 slot straight armature when compared to the much more common 3 slot straight armature of the Trailmaster, RC4WD, Axial, Dynamite, Tekin HD, Integy, Traxxas, and Tamiya brushed motors.

You can run a much lower turn count of a 5-slot than a 3-slot on the HobbyWing 1080 ESC...

The 13t Crawlmaster on 3S should be fine.

BTW - Voodoobrew's Crawlmaster 550 10t is also a 2200kv equivalent motor... so again, should be OK.

You'd likely get into trouble running a Traxxas Titan 550 12t (from, say, a Slash) or the TrailMaster Sport 550 12t - because they are roughly 3100kv.

People often get the Traxxas Titan 21t and 12t confused (especially if you're dyslexic!) but the TRX-4 crawler uses the 21t, and fast short-course trucks use the 12t.

You'll overheat stuff quickly if you get that wrong!

The only issue with hobbywing 1080, is running a 3s battery with a 13T motor. I bought a 1080 anyway. If I burn it up, I’ll get a Holmes hobbies torquemaster esc.

That’s all I run is my 13t on 3s with my 1080. I have that in two trucks

Hang up and Drive

Durok, thank you very much for the info, much appreciated. I wish they would put that info in the specs about the 5 slot motors. I seen it on reedy’s esc specs. But hobbywing doesn’t. I feel better about my purchase. Thanks again.

Durok, thank you very much for the info, much appreciated. I wish they would put that info in the specs about the 5 slot motors. I seen it on reedy’s esc specs. But hobbywing doesn’t. I feel better about my purchase. Thanks again.

You are MOST welcome... "thumbsup"

A great resource is Holmes Hobbies Motor Recommendations page:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

Back