• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

What 12mm hex's properly fit the Axial stub axles and drive pins?

ProjectSCX10

Quarry Creeper
I just put a no slop locker in my stock scx10 axles. But there is still a fair amount of slop between the hex hub and the pin on the axle? I could ghetto rig it with tape or something to fix it :lmao: But I would rather buy some tighter fitting hubs or fix it in a bulletproof way. (suggestions?) :ror:

Last edited:
Re: 12mm Aluminum Hex Hub SLOP. How to fix?

I wish I knew a long term solution to the problem. All three of my Crawlers exhibit some degree of play between the hex and pin if you really torque the tires back and forth with your hands and brute force. Although, the rears feel ATV spooled tight when just turning them normaly by hand. Running Felsenfest spools.

It's a side effect of the steel pin being torqued back and forth against the soft aluminum hex. Some say the small grub screw is supposed to help hold the hex in place, but I don't think it's large enough, or able to be torqued down effectively enough.

Lets turn this into a "What hex's properly fit the Axial stub axles and drive pins?" thread.

I know that STRC aluminum replacements for a Slash, don't fit very well.

Who's running the J-fab 8mm hex's, and how do you like them?

If your snapping the stock hex pins then contact Gunnar for some stronger pins.

Resist the urge to overtorque the wheel nuts, it just puts more stress on the drive pin.

Yeah my spools are very tight and have no slop (not sure of the brand, stripped them off a used truck), but as soon as the hex goes on I have play. I tighter fitting hex is ultimately what I'm looking for. Good tips though!

Are u guys using plastic hexes? I use the aluminum ones with a set-screw and them suckers don't move anywhere.

I have an assortment of washers and I know where/how to use them. They slop I'm talking about is radially, not in and out.

Maybe this is just one of those things telling me that I'm hard on equipment...

Yeah I'm referring to rotational slop. The hex moves slightly on the pin. No matter now tight my set screw is, it's still there.

Back