• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Weather conditions and R/C... and other cool R/C related stories.

I used to really like large caliber handguns but in recent years the 460 has become just a little too much for me to handle ( bad wrist). There's obviously little need for a 460 or 500 unless you find yourself in very remote places where large dangerous game are the norm. The 460 is a handful at 2330 FPS/ 200 grain... visible muzzle blast in sunlight lol, pretty rough kick even with the 8.38" barrel length & 72 oz weight, and it's a lot to carry at an overall length of 15". It's a loud gun too! I'm only able to shoot it with 2 levels of hearing protection... plugs plus muffs. 460 & 454 Casull rounds are insanely expensive as well, unless you're going to shoot 45 Colt which makes the gun feel completely lame. I've never shot a 500 but some of those factors may be worth considering if wanting to get into a 500. I had my eye on a DE 50 cal for a few years but after the 460, I'm glad I didn't get it. I still love shooting my 44 mag but that's about as much caliber as I'll ever want in a handgun. Love the 629 btw!

I knew it would take a few turns pretty quick lol! Great stuff though!

Maybe briefly but back OT- Over 100 degrees here today and I can't scratch my butt without breaking a sweat. R/C is out of the question for sure!

Yea but it sure would be nice to still be that age where doing that kinda stuff even in high heat, hardly even slowed you down. Only double header that I'm good for these days doesn't even involve my wife! That's how out of shape this ol' guy is! Something wrong with the way I transitioned those two thoughts but it is what it is.

I feel bad to tell you guys this, but it was 82 here at 1400, the nice thing about Oregon is how quickly it cools down. It is 2025 and has already cooled down to 70 degrees. And here are my crawling rocks in my yard which are in the shade by about 1400.

And one of my favorite spots 5 minutes from my house!

This was taken from across the river in the park with bathrooms and picnic area! No place like the Pacific Northwest! Marcia and I are always open for visitors!!!

I just had to do that. Tee Hee.

Oh and I forgot, there is over 10 miles of trails just across the foot bridge and starting just behind the big rock.

Last edited:
I feel bad to tell you guys this, but it was 82 here at 1400, but the nice thing about Oregon is how quickly it cools down. It is 2025 and has already cooled down to 70 degrees. And here are my crawling rocks in my yard which are in the shade by about 1400.

And one of my favorite spots 5 minutes from my house!

This was taken from across the river in the park with bathrooms and picnic area! No place like the Pacific Northwest! Marcia and I are always open for visitors!!!

I just had to do that. Tee Hee.

Oh and I forgot, there is over 10 miles of trails just across the foot bridge and starting just behind the big rock.
Thanks a lot for stoking my west coast envy, Ernie! I have a buddy in Coos Bay who keeps wanting me to come visit but I know I'd sure not want to come back here even more (less?).

Pretty place you have there!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot for stoking my west coast envy, Ernie! I have a buddy in Coos Bay who keeps wanting me to come visit but I know I'd sure not want to come back here even more (less?).

Pretty place you have there!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Well now you have two reasons to visit Oregon! "thumbsup"
Ernie

I have the day off today. After messing with my veggie garden, mowing and trimming earlier in the morning, it is too damn hot and humid to mess with my Ascender.

Up here in New Hampshire the current temp is 92 and the dew point is 71. Yuck!

I have the day off today. After messing with my veggie garden, mowing and trimming earlier in the morning, it is too damn hot and humid to mess with my Ascender.

Up here in New Hampshire the current temp is 92 and the dew point is 71. Yuck!

Please order cooler weather when we come through on our road trip.!!!!;-)
Ernie

Discovered that 104 degrees is where I have to draw the line! Thought I was going to wind up in the ER last week... not even joking.

Now... If I'm to try to find a silver lining, I guess it would be that since the afternoon humidity is relatively low at 40-50%, that means that the heat index is only making it feel like 110-112! Yea!

Next week is forecast to be 108 here in the shade. I believe it's time to convert the spare bedroom into a crawl-course. At least winter is just around the corner... oh, wait. :cry:

Here’s my micro Goat in extreme W.TX late in the afternoon. 108* in the shade during sun up hours but the afternoons are pleasant. Good thing the sun takes forever to set out there.

56576890d51ebee2aa521360f587b972.jpg

I'm guessing that the body has just completely melted off of the chassis?! lol. I also feel that you and I may have a different idea of a "pleasant" afternoon! Man... dunno how you guys do it.

I'm actually to the east of Austin so it can be a bit of a hassle when factoring in congested traffic. Not sure how much of an indoor crawl scene there is there. Although I like the aspect of being outdoors and exploring as I go, an indoor course might be worth looking into at this point.

Lol. No, it’s don’t crawl in 108* weather, just work in it. The thing with out here is it’s 3600’ of elevation and dry. Humidity is 2-3* normally. If it’s overcast or actually rainy it goes up but the temp also goes way down into the 80s. Where I live in SoMiss it’s miserable. Growing up here it was normal but after some traveling abroad I don’t think humans were meant to live here. Yesterday it was mid/upper 90s but the heat index was 115*+. Whereas in W.TX it’s 115* but the index is 100*.

3ec8379f5ef91baac6ca4292e7f15a70.jpg

I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to go out and do some more testing on my Bomber tomorrow... 107 forecasted here in Austin.

I went out a lot in the last week when it was 102-104 or so, and my electronics were seriously heating up to the point to where I got worried!

Not sure if the heat is what may have locked up my ProModeler servo, but the company is going to take a look at it.

Now I'm going to be runnin' down a cell (3S instead of 4S) and testing under a bridge down the road from me, so hopefully it won't be too bad...

The Revolver 1800kv Bomber will be runnin' a Holmes SHV500 v1 for now, powered direct from the main pack - and I can't use 4S on it.

durok- I'll have to keep this heat in mind regarding servos, motors, etc. Only thing worse than hiking in this heat might be hiking in this heat while carrying a 10lb rig!

Brake Weight- I've never been further west ( in Texas) than Big Bend. I remember waking up in the Chisos Basin campground one morning with frost on the ground... 28 degrees. Then just two days later, hiking along Ore Terminal trail where the high hit 113. Not sure what the elevation change was but that was quite a dramatic shift in temps for me. Humidity was next to nothing most of the time iirc.

Took a breather from RC today - we hit 110!!!

However, tomorrow we are dropping 10 degrees for a high of "only" 100....

:lmao:

I'm gonna go out tomorrow in the early evening again, replaced my broken aluminum rear wheel hex and bent steel pin (had to use a hammer to get that out!) - the Revolver puts out some monster torque!

The Holmes SHV500 v1 stayed completely cool yesterday running directly from 3S - much cooler to the touch than the ProModeler did running on 8.0v from the Mamba X BEC.

However, the ProModeler is finned and unpainted aluminum, so I suppose it radiates its heat better than the black anodized SHV.

I was going to comment in your Bomber thread that it must be cool to be able to transition from the bustling city to that secluded little crawling oasis there. You're really putting your servos to the test in this heat lol... was 109 here today! So ridiculous how they try to hype the whole "welcome change coming" thing... just to get people to watch the weather portion of the news lmao. Gotta say that a less than 20% chance of rain and 100 degree high temp is NOT a significant change haha!

Back