• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

VFD Transmission loud spur gear noise when fully tightened to the chassis. (VS4-10 Ph

vjbuffone

5366bca89f5d39fbd3323ba19203deed.jpg

Hello, first post here, and first Vanquish Kit, Overall the kit went together well minus some fitment issues of certain parts not lining up properly like the skid to the motor mount plate etc.

That aside I finally got all my electronics mounted up, for the motor I am just using a basic Holmes 16 turn. Did my gear mesh and bolted the motor on. When I first fired it up I noticed it sounded like the spur gear was grinding, so I took the trans back out checked the pinion and spur to see if anything came loose. It looked fine so I decided to run it while it was off the chassis and it ran smooth. At this point I was confused. I did not know where the grinding spur sound was coming from. So I bolted it back in.

Long story short I figured out the problem. If the two screws at the top of the spur cover and motor plate are tightened all the was down to the chassis mounts (hand tightened) the sound comes back, if I back them off the sound goes away and everything is running smoothly. It seems like the transmission is bending out of alignment when it’s tightened all the way down causing some grinding. I can live with the screws backed off but it’s just killing my OCD that the trans is not fully secure on the chassis.

Just wondering if I am doing something wrong, from what I can tell the transmission is sitting properly on the skid so I have no clue. Has anyone else had this issue?
5c6e48ab595723a3461a0b874074e9bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive not had any issues with the vfd making any noise. But ive got custom builds, not stock chassis. From the pic, it looks like the side mount have a gap where u loossened the screws. U could either use some small washes or get some team knk spacers to put in the gap. If anything, it may subside your ocd of it not being tightened down

Ive not had any issues with the vfd making any noise. But ive got custom builds, not stock chassis. From the pic, it looks like the side mount have a gap where u loossened the screws. U could either use some small washes or get some team knk spacers to put in the gap. If anything, it may subside your ocd of it not being tightened down

I fixed it, there was too much flex in the top part of the transmission. The screws that hold the two plastic tubes that join the motor plate to the gear box were not all the way tight. So the whole thing was bending slightly causing the spur and pinion to pitch a tad making the noise. I think the option metal motor mount will help this.

Also replacing the two plastic tubes with aluminium ones, gives quite a precise and rigid fit, even with the plastic motor mount "thumbsup"

Oh awesome didn’t even know they had the aluminum ones! Will for sure be getting those thank you !!

Another thing I've had issues with on my vfd trans are the incision pinions. No matter how I set them, they are still noisy. Swapped to same tooth but Robinson brand and muuuuuuuch quieter. Had a few friends do the same with same results.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I have the same issue here when tightening the bottom bolt, is there any definitive fix for this?

If it quiets it down by takin the bottom screw out of the skid, under the motor plate, dont use that screw. It wont hurt to leave it out. Ive got a few rigs runnin the vfd with a different skid, n gives no issues at all.

Heres one of my gspeed v3 phoenix with a vfd twin, n of the other v3 with a og vfd
6f456ceaceee4c6055036ea7b62c93b8.jpg
86b6e04b6d29d8daa16b326a2608ead0.jpg
194e578f75a8a7b617e4ec8ad1f406c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Thats what i did.

I can tighten the top ones no problem but not the bottom one.

Back