• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Vaterra Ascender Thoughts?

Tech-7

What's everyone's thoughts on the Vaterra Ascender for my second rock crawler? Good or Bad? Just put it out there. Thanks"thumbsup"

they seem to have a cult like following the people who run then seem to really like them
but there extremely old tech now days
there also discontinued and i could be wrong but it seems like parts are drying up
that dosent mean you cant upgrade with parts.by other brands it will take a bit more work but it can be done
i dont see any reason not to get one if the price is right and you like the rig

I've had one since it was first released. It's been a great truck, requiring minimal maintenance while offering decent performance.

At this point Vaterra is dead, so long term parts availability will inevitably become an issue.

I've had one since it was first released. It's been a great truck, requiring minimal maintenance while offering decent performance.

At this point Vaterra is dead, so long term parts availability will inevitably become an issue.

Same here - my Chevy K10 was the first crawler I really drove a lot - then I added most all of the SSD upgrades and some parts from other manufacturers, I finally cracked a front CV joint, and then broke the front plastic shock tower - probably stressed from nose-diving from obstacles with SSD brass knuckles installed. Brass can increase performance and also contribute to other parts breaking!

I have aluminum shock towers that I scored from Atomik RC (a division of Venom R/C) as they were on closeout that I need to install. I'm going to give the truck an overhaul as I also have a spare unpainted K10 cab and a new caged back half, and a new set of 1.7" wheels and tires for it.

It's gonna be like brand new when I'm done, swapping in some TRX-4 take-off shocks while I'm at it.

But, yeah - I'm going to go easy on it (relatively speaking) as replacement parts are basically gone from the shelves...

A pic of it in action:

374220d1532839491-img_20180728_200339crop.jpg

The Ascender was decent when it came out but had issues. Rather than address them and release a V2, Horizon killed the truck(the entire Vaterra brand in fact) and bought Axial. The transmission/diff gearing is not the best for crawling (the torque twist is legendary).

I wouldn't recommend it in todays market, but well upgraded and tuned it will keep up. Make sure if you buy one you get a smoking deal

I have 3 of them collecting dust but have a soft spot for them because it was the platform that got me into crawling

smog-71996-albums4433-67885.jpg

smog-71996-albums4433-68040.jpg

smog-71996-albums4433-66744.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one with upgrade parts and stuff that I'm going to sell. I'll post it up soon. It's not that I don't like it. I just have too many trucks now.

Back