• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Trying to decide what to buy

spacephrawg

Pebble Pounder
I don't yet own a crawler but I'd like to. I'm just trying to get all the info I can.

I'm a sucker for things that look scale, and even more so, things that are aesthetically pleasing, since, professionally i am a sculptor. I've been poking around a lot on here as well as these forums:

www.rcgroups.com
http://www.scale4x4rc.org
http://www.tamiyacrawlers.com/forum/
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Scale_Trail_Runners/index.php

As well as asking around on youtube comment threads for videos of interesting-looking rigs.

Among other things, what I've found is some obvious stuff, like the SCX10 handles things better, even right out of the box, but the CC01 will look more scale no matter what body you put on it (IMHO).

I've also done some research on bodies - I'd prefer a hard shell rather than a lexan thing if I can.

A friend of mine on RCgroups got his SCX10 TR almost 2 months ago and its only required minor repairs thus far; he's been running it stock and is very impressed. It still doesn't look all that scale-ish though, though I have seen one shining example of a cosmetic upgrade to the TR here:
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42088

I've seen videos where a whole bunch of rigs are tooling around, and in those i've seen CC01's handle things that SCX10's couldn't and vice versa. If theres a body solution that would look good on an SCX10, I'd probably go with that but if not, I'll have to settle for the Tamiya (or is it such a bad thing really?)

I don't plan to do any jumps or fast driving and will probably put a GRU and a high-turn motor in whatever I get. I'd like a rig that I could "take for walks" as it were, which is what rock crawler driving appears to be from where I stand anyhow. And noooooo jumps, now or ever.

One last concern is durability and maintenance. I dig boats because they can be low maintenance: my PT boat has no GRU: its got a pair of motors, each hooked up directly to their respective prop shafts by U-joints. All I have to do is take the shafts out and re-oil them once in a while. I was told on RCgroups that scale trail runners are low-maintenance. Thats true, yes?

What do you guys advise for this n00b? Thanks for your patience and help.

my advice would be to go into this section of the site http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Then just look at all the builds and read the various threads and decide which set-up is the most appealing to you.
once you get a good idea of what you want then just pull up all threads on that particular truck or setups on rigs you like with the search function and research it further to make sure you are sure of your decision.

asking which is better is purely a personal preference.....especially with scale type rigs.

yeah, asking what rig is best is a Ford, Chevy, Dodge...Coke or Pepsi...Crown or Jack...ok those are totally different..

also, once you find a rig, PM the owner.. I doubt any of the members on here never like to talk about their rig...besides this isn't like racing where theres secrets to not to be had...yes there are some...but you get the point.

Well I posted this thread to the SCX10 and CC01 forums. Lets see what happens. Sorry to waist your time guys :cry:

Sorry to waste your time. I think I just answered my own query; I found the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSj_tPM5Scc&feature=player_embedded#

The owner describes his rig thus:

"Camel Trophy liveried Discovery on XC chassis, no oil in dampers and lead weight in roof."

Its the most realistic movement I've ever seen in an RC scaler. I've settled the issue for myself. I'm sorry for wasting your time with my n00b bs. Please forgive me!

Sorry to waste your time. I think I just answered my own query; I found the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSj_tPM5Scc&feature=player_embedded#

The owner describes his rig thus:

"Camel Trophy liveried Discovery on XC chassis, no oil in dampers and lead weight in roof."

Its the most realistic movement I've ever seen in an RC scaler. I've settled the issue for myself. I'm sorry for wasting your time with my n00b bs. Please forgive me!

time not wasted....we learned that southern comfort isn't well liked around here!!!!!

XC is also known as CC...so if you check out the cc01 forums you can see more of the rigs like this one...I have one and its not a really competive crawler...but hella fun.

btw...

Ford
Sprite
Crown....

time not wasted....we learned that southern comfort isn't well liked around here!!!!!

XC is also known as CC...so if you check out the cc01 forums you can see more of the rigs like this one...I have one and its not a really competive crawler...but hella fun.

btw...

Ford
Sprite
Crown....

As I described to my girlfriend, who wants a dog, I just want a nice little scale truck that i can take for walks. I've got me some 4700mah batteries that i normally use in my boat with it's 22t speed 550 motors. I'd probably put a high turn motor in this thing, like 55t or up (do you advise i get a GRU for that?). I hear you can get up to an hour or more run time with the right batteries on one of those. And it doesn't poop, unlike this otherwise cute sheepdog puppy my gf is keen on.

The only ethical way to own an SUV is to own a really small one. I may give it a name. I doubt I'll play fetch with it. It would be too busy driving up and down rough terrain.

A GRU would make it way too slow. The 55t alone will give you great run times especially if you run a 4700mah battery. I run a 2200mah lipo in my 11lb super with a 10t cobalt puller, and I get 30-45 minute runtimes.

SoCo 7s are the bomb"thumbsup"

A GRU would make it way too slow. The 55t alone will give you great run times especially if you run a 4700mah battery. I run a 2200mah lipo in my 11lb super with a 10t cobalt puller, and I get 30-45 minute runtimes.

SoCo 7s are the bomb"thumbsup"

More n00b questions: I've read that the stock CC01 is "way too fast" for a crawler, and I've seen videos of people's CC01 rigs with a slight gear reduction and they've still been quick enough. However if you say its so, I believe you.

What I'm interested in is the rig being able to climb the hill at the elementary school a few blocks from me. Its just steep enouhg that its a real job to walk up it. I'd like it to be able to start the climb from a stand still, as I've seen various kinds of rigs do on youtube.

What is a "SoCo 7", an 11lbs Super, and a 10t cobalt puller? 10t- does that mean ten turns? Sounds like a racing motor, not a high torque, low amp thing. I am confused.

What if I got a 65 turn motor? would the torque destroy everything? Sure the runtime would increase dramatically but what negative things would i have to deal with and would i need a different ESC, granting that we're still talking about brushed motors here?

thanks again!

You know...I was going to get a GRU, but I figured I'd have to chop it up for it to fit..didn't want to do that..so I picked up a 60T from a local here and I have a 3300mAh 6 cell...it climbs pretty good since its a CC01..and you know, I've run it for a long time and never killed the battery. Has plenty of torque, just need the right tires now...

and yeah, 10T is 10 turn motor...pretty high speed low torque, would make for a really good onroad runner...but puller motors seem to have more torque than you would think

ohh I have the 16T pinion in it...plenty of speed for me and can crawl slow.

reread your post...I also have a scaler with a 35T and run a 2S lipo (7.4V) and we run around 3 hours before I have to change batteries. its a 2800mAh lipo with a rooster crawler esc. the cco1 has a tekin esc in it...old rebel 2 that is.

Last edited:
Very interesting. All of this long runtime stuff applies to any vehicle i have a low-turn motor in, yes?

I will have other questions shortly. Its been a looong day of writing for my lit class and I'm spent. I apologize.

However,

Just thought of this: here's a question that hasn't been asked anywhere on the interwebs before:

What if I wanted to make an SCX10 look more scale by lowering the suspension a little and limiting the articulation of the axles, or whatever you call it when they twist at odd angles around a slanted surface? I'm less concerned with crawling ability than i am with how it will look, or thats my story right now. I suspect even with this modification, it would still be more capable than a cc01. Am I right?

on the wifes rig I am using duratrax adjustable aluminum shocks that are about 2 3/4" long...work great.

Back