• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TRX4-XL "SUPERSIZER" -- another BIG RIG to challenge SCX6!!

WRXronald

Rock Crawler
I come from another time, a different zone. A place where people built big rigs and they werent' SCX6 based!!! LOL. Just kidding. SCX6's are awesome and keeping big rigs space going!

But, we can build BIG & WIDE and i'm going to prove it doesn't have to be SCX6 based!!! Or Clodbuster lol. (see my other build).

So alrighty crew, I've just finished up on a new mod-build, BIG RIG, full custom, and I'm calling it the TRX4-XL SuperSizer. And that's just what its called, a big TRX4 on steroids and pretty much almost nothing left but the chassis by the time I was done.

I stripped an old seized TRX4 down to just the chassis. Started from scratch with a wide set of Ali Capra Axles. The result has been amazing for a few days now... showing great promise. I think these axles are LEGIT for $63 for the set. But shhhh.. don't let the cats out the bag!!! I got another set on order already.

Lots more rock crawling vids of this one to come -- i put it on the rocks around my house and it puts my SCX6 CLODBUSTER BEASTIE to shame so far!!! Its A LOT lighter than that truck, so makes sense.

Ended up with Rhino 80Amp brushless ESC sine-wave AM32 setup running a Turnigy Aerostar 4250 big block Outrunner!!! 5s capable up to 1000watts. 375kv for ultimate slow sinewave and insane drag brake power!!!

I did try running it at first with HW 1080 G2 ESC and TITAN 35T on 11t pinion. Wanhh wanhh wanhh --- it has NO POWER!!! It would go a little but barely could push in high gear and in low gear it stalled TERRIBLY on the rocks. I don't think it had anything to do with the weight really, but everything to do with the outer tire diameter and torque force needed to turn such huge tires/wheels. The difference over a 1.9 wheel/tire is MASSIVE and you need a lot more torque to get everything going.

Running NewBright F-150 Raptor body half-cabbed, for ultimate crawling setup - it is rated "1/6th" scale, but kinda small compared to SCX6 Honcho - - its 10inch wide fender to fender (Honcho is 11.55inch) and it was 16.6 inch wheelbase with the bed in tact -- so a bit shorter than a SCX6 as well. Its from an old Walmart toy truck of course.

22 inch wheelbase
15 inch trackwidth (outer wheel to outer wheel, running 40mm extensions per side, axles are 225mm from hex pin to hex pin).
33inches overall length
8inch tall RedCat RockCrusher tires
40 series 3.8in aluminum RC4WD Beadlocks (OOLLD School bought them in 2006!!)
8mm Steel tube lower 4-links (rear is 12+inches long!)
8mm Aluminum upper 4-links
M4 Steel heims joints/ball links upper & lower
SCX6 Aluminum big bore shocks
Custom link/shock mounts front/rear upper and lower
Steel drivesshafts with custom rear extension using 6063 aluminum tube 17mm diameter BEEFIE!!!
Custom Steel skid plate extension on an angle to protect the massive long rear drive shaft.
Steel tube ladder joints suring up the chassis --- about 14inches of chassis extension built by hand with aluminum 1/8inch 6063 L-channel and carbon steel fasteners.
Custom hand-made hardwood flatbed.

New Build Completed -- quick short --- TRX4-XL SUPERSIZER!!! Bigger than SCX6 yet again, and is probably going to OutCrawl in every way!!!

Build check-ins along the way... newets to oldest.

Hope you can all enjoy!!! Also, inviting any SCX6 owners out to do a FUN day challenge and hit some trails -- lets see how the rigs can do together. I've got the 33lb SCX6 Clodbuster build, and now this 19lb feather weight!!!! ;)

Heck expand that -- anybody on here wants to check out the rigs and is out by way of NorthEast Ohio, I don't care bring your 1/10 scalers, lets go crawling!!!

Last edited:
lol sounds almost exsacly like my trx4 build same body but in red and same axles with red highlights but no wideners and only 6" tires and only 18 inches long
my 6 year old grandson just beat the snot out of it till the rodends gave out lol
i only have a few runs with the capra axles and even with no brass its still alot more stable than the trx4 axles all brassed out i did loose the open/locking diffs though
no video after the axleswap but heres a few pics in my backyard crawler course

Last edited:
Looks super scale and legit with the smaller tires fit under the body like that. Bedazz lookin fuel cell doesn't hurt either ;)

Very cool and love the cage of course too albeit not into tucked rear ends they sure crawl nice.... i apparently like draggin' a big rear end up the hill 😜

I'm a little more after the mega truck look but nice to see trx4 bigged up!! And somethin' about a back woods off-road hauler and or crawler lookin' hack job (mine are pretty hack at least lol) trucks with hard metal gritty guts under them just gets me goin!!!!

Last edited:
Looks super scale and legit with the smaller tires fit under the body like that. Bedazz lookin fuel cell doesn't hurt either ;)

Very cool and love the cage of course too albeit not into tucked rear ends they sure crawl nice.... i apparently like draggin' a big rear end up the hill apparently. 😜

I'm a little more after the mega truck look but nice to see trx4 bigged up!! And somethin' about a back woods off-road hauler and or crawler lookin' hack job (mine are pretty hack at least lol) trucks with hard metal gritty guts under them just gets me goin!!!!
thank you the fuel cell is just a servo case painted red with some details

yours looks good too i think we have the only 2 cab only new bright raptors outhere or atleast on here lol
funny almost the same truck yet so different
the mega truck dosent work were for most of my crawling but dose look good

That's pretty awesome.! Ohio is a bit far though.
i agree especially since me and the tsa dont get along i chewed them up one line and back down the other and wasent quiet about it i think im on a list now lol
and im not cleared to fly medicly so it is what it is

Last edited:
Thank you SteveB!! Yep Ohio is just "FAR". That's all I ever hear... just finished up a video on the 10 worst cities in CLE.... hilarious. Anyways my little slice is PARADISE and then some! But if you got stranded in one of the 10 worst on your way out, you'd be approximately 500+% more likely to experience a violent crime than the average U.S. city location. What a stat. Unreal. And I love OHIO!!!

Anyways, .I say still come one out, you'll of the time of your life!! (boringest) that is 😆

Ferp it is weird about our half cabs --- but lately I just love a half cab. I'd really like to exo-cage portions of the Raptor fenders, etc. But I really don't want to add weight at all -- was thinking of half-cabbing the TRX4 Bronco body somehow for a uber-lightweight (but some scale) lexan running body.

Now that these two rigs are set up nice its on to the smaller ones, have a FCX18 long bed K10, Yota Hilus WPL C24 and an MN82 LC79 and just going to do light mods and def half-cabbing at least one of them. Maybe a custom wood flatbed too who knows!

I had MASSIVE success today with the CLODBUSTER steering -- pretty much a Break-Thru moment I think. So now its back on the trail as of tomorrow!!! All steering issues completely ironed out and ready to rock and roll. I doubled up 1/5th scale steering servos on the front end and locked out the rear ---- huge torque up front all while running lower voltage and each servo serves half the prior load --- should hold up much better now, also polyurethaned all seams for better waterproofing. Testing tonight went really well, finally has the front steering its always needed!

Posting a short in the Clodbuster hread on the completed setup -- its wicked and badazz if I do say so myself! Quite simple really, should have done it a long time ago.

Been around the yard a few times with it, so far its conquered everything I've thrown at it like almost nothin'. I'm really surprised it seems durable enough so far (drive train that is, I haven't rolled it hard core yet).

Anyways -- here's quick vid with a tougher little rock obstacle towards the end - - not end of world or comp stuff, but a solid challenge that even my best TRX4 attempts couldn't overcome with a hard body on board. Also couldn't get the SCX6 Clodbuster up and over but I haven't tried again yet since the super-steering mod which really seems to help with crawling control on that 34lb hootie.

Anyways - - bigger more challenging terrain to come -- hope to head out to the river where theres alot of rock terrain, hill climbs, some water etc for next vids!!

"

Scioto river? Olentangy river? I grew up around Delaware/ Powell. Spent a lot of time at Alum Creek.

Cool Clod and TRX4 projects.

Scioto river? Olentangy river? I grew up around Delaware/ Powell. Spent a lot of time at Alum Creek.

Cool Clod and TRX4 projects.
Thank you! Usually just bounce locally here to the metro park areas featuring the Chagrin River out by way of NorthEast Cleveland Ohio -- not far from Chagrin Falls. There's the Cuyahoga close by too but its bigger and flows heavier, not as rocky near me.

Super peaceful out this way --- today I was at South Reservation in Solon, OH -- pretty that is still Chagrin River. Abrupt and unfortunate ending as I went a wee little too deep in the water and my Rhino ESC was opened recently in order for me to adjust the dip switches to change BEC voltage down for the 1/10 scale servo. I hadn't yet sealed it back up.

Water killed the BEC in the ESC almost instantly on contact. I was able to restore it all back at home with CorrsoionX ---- I removed the heatsink and get it all under and in the circuits real good -- that stuff is awesome!! Worked immediately after coating it and wiping with paper towel.

I then coated it with dielectric grease -- observed that it still worked just fine, and then I put a bunch of dielectric grease inside a nitrile glove and stuffed the ESC inside there. It doesn't need much cooling at all -- never even gets much warm in this application nor when this motor/Esc setup was in the Clod Beastie. So as long as it stay water-resistant i'm happy. I think it might work decently. If not, I will clean it all up real well and move to Conformal Epoxy --- which we know works really well for water proofing electronics. The grease is just a new idea of mine for now - am hopeful.

Got a few decent scenes in before the bitter ending and pretty sure I inspired the heck out of some little dude who just couldn't stop gushing and asking about the truck lol -- they were cool peops.

Also had few carbon steels come loose that I forgot to loc-tite out the gates -- suspension post, steering bracket. The plastic steering heims that came with the 7075 Capra style portal axles are already wearing out too causing steering slop -- upgrading those to steel M3 or M4's next week!!! Other than that looks like the axles are holding up really well so far. I think the bearings they came with are a little bit short of "Traxxas" Quality bearings (ie there's def a bit more wobble in the portal axle out the gates compared to stock TRX4 axle which essentially had zero wobble, so then with extensions it equates to a good amount of total wobble) I could prolly fix this or reduce it with a set of FastEddy sealed bearings for these axles -- but at what cost -- at least $10 if not $20 need two sizes I think not sure -- maybe more like $40 as I think a set of FastEddy's is $20. Is peanuts but still just annoying tiny specs can make big differences overall.

Anyways --- I have 3 new motor sets on order for the SCX6 CLOD so I'm going to focus on TRX4-XL driving and vids for a bit. I need the CLOD to go slow again like the TRX4 XL does, but have a switchable drag brake. I missed the slow non-stop go crawler torque, and the CLOD has too much real end stall while the front tries to drive away on 35T 550 TITAN's. So I ordered a set of RS555's with crazy high turn ratio something like 100T. Then also ordered a faster 555 at something more like a 55T. And ordered a set of 570's big mothers with a range more in the 35 turn category. The latter two sets are from Ali and usually get turned back in Customs, I have no clue why. Hopefully the 555's 100T work out and show up from ebay at least.

:)

"
"

Last edited:
40mm extension per side?! That's a servo killer and huge scrub radius. You can tell how hard of a time the truck is having trying to steer on the stair descend.

40mm extension per side?! That's a servo killer and huge scrub radius. You can tell how hard of a time the truck is having trying to steer on the stair descend.
Yeah Gala, welcome back, nice to see you here, missed You and thought you might just never come back lol!! And yes You're prolly spot on there -- Kudos!

No matter though, as we went thru in the SCX6 CLOD discussion forum, its BUILT, not BOUGHT. And I'm just a layperson and a has been hack using rudimentary tools with less than rudimentary skills in my garage at home, so all good here!!

Also - don't forget i'm running custom made 55mm PER SIDE extensions on my SCX6 ClodBuster rig and yes it killed 5th scale beastly servo until last week --- not its got 2 fifth scale servos on the front axle in unison!!!!!!! First of its kind in the WORLD. And I'm just a hack. But now it steers amazingly too despite SCRUB angle challenges? :badger:

One thing that you'd notice is I did tilt the front axle forward alot so that the knuckles are perpendicular to the ground like a typically non-capra-'d axle-- this gives my drive-shaft out the back alot of natural UP angle and feeds a much easier rotation and travels a very short yet very TALL distance up to the transmission. It kinda just had to be this way as you build a rig with NO plans whatsoever and piece it together on the fly with bits and pieces and cut off wheels and drill bits and aluminium.

I may try tilting it back further to see how much more angle the drive shaft can take but its one of those where it starts to WEAR down on the drivesshaft or pinion/ring gear bearings if its too far off the mark and straining. As it sits now it rolls out pretty smooth over all but I don't really think I can go a lot further with out introducing some strain. So, stuck with some extra SCRUB I guess. Its no different or worse than a basic axle that has no hgih-end crawler dimensions built into it, NO? As I said, its at least PERPENDICULAR in castor to the ground, ie 0 degrees tilt of the top point of kingpin down thru bottompoint of kingpin. Not trying to get technical though, its not my strong suit in this space. My strong suit is.... BUILD for MAX FUN!!!

I'm sure if you came over and took a look at the 4-link setup and you'd have nightmares and lose sleep at night possibly at how the measurements are pretty rough and WILDLY to no intentional design whatsoever (other than it HAD TO look good to my eyes as I was building it per my MEGA truck needs, and it HAD to articulate enough that I could take the truck to a VARIED set of terrains and just have GOOD CLEAN FUN with it crawling slow and conquering obstacles!)

Oh and it shouldn't also cost $1000 or more to just BUY it and probably watch it just break and need upgrades to steering and all kinds of other areas anyways.

For me, quite frankly, its steers absoltely AMAZINGLY ---- do keep in mind we are at 6th+ scale dimensions here with tires and wheels larger and heavier than an SCX6. Watch the vid where i'm turning past the the little pine trees at my house and I need to get past the side of my house and i'm able to just keep cranking for more steering angle and make the tight turn like it NEVER ends. I love it!!

I'm used to Cloduster limited steering range so this is more than outstanding improvements for me guys. No comps here, just IS IT FUN? Is it moderately capable enough to have FUN ? Will be diff for everyone but its FUN for me, the novice.

AND i'm running a MEASILY $16 servo --- 1/10 scale rated 45kg torque and NOT high voltage capable rated. Its a pitiful little thing. Just wanted to try it and see what it could do. I start small, build up.

Its SO good at turning even at just 5.2voltage setting on the Rhino ESC BEC that already i've warn out the plastic steering servo links. STEEL ones next week.

Then when the servo fails, in with 150kg of torque 5th scale beast that runs on 3s lipo dedicated, JUST because its sitting on my bench right now doin nothing.

Thanks for the critcial eye though! I think some of the steering struggle you may be detecting also related to the inner tubes inside these tires? Slightly inflated, and they roll over pretty easy -- -leaving me on just the side of the wheel -- no side wall strength. It's something you give for the ability to have 1. aired up ride height boost 2. aired down grip 3. float in water 4. COOL FACTOR!!!!

Oh by the way, just to demonstrate how hack I really am so there's no head scratching - or perhaps extra scratching??

I don't even know what scrub angle means offhand.

As for the inflatables all the time in big rigs, I dislike foams and they just weight the rig down like a pig when wet. My tires/wheels are not water fast.

Last edited:
Last edited:
LOL Ferp my friend, now your just baiting and tempting me aren't you lol!! I had been waiting for this to happen, you knew it would be inevitable eventually..... I planned to convert the CLOD Honcho over to axles like these once came available and reasonably priced.

But alas, I wont do it.

They are not portals, so what's the point? My Clod axle transmissions are holding up like CHAMPS since I did the bearing mod. Pulling almost 300lbs up my driveway hill no prob!!

Nor are they proven by reviews and the words in description are red flag city. When they say this...

Made of high quality material, stronger, more durable and improved appearance.
Easy to use and easy to replace

But don't then go on to specially state the materials used or the process used to construct --- "hardended, heat treated, chromoly, tool steel, carbon steel, 7075 zinc alloy" etc etc ... it can be a bad sign you're getting sold a bag of goods if they won't outright come out and tell you want these "high quality stronger materials" are. Also there are ZERO pictures of the internals --- generally also find it to be a bad sign when I can't see what's inside as the components are essentially the most important or just as important as the housings. Also, can't help but notice that one VERY wide axle for it not to be trussed at all. And if they aren't saying 7075, then you know its junk aluminum, anodize it great, but not that much stronger than without --- so no truss, no 7075, widest axle on the market carrying the heaviest truck on the market. Ummm.... yeah sticking to Clod beasties for now.. :cool:

I could be wrong, just going from my experience. They said this alot about all the axles that hit the market 2yrs ago -- Capra knock offs, and those are JUNK JUNK. Broken shafts, gritty gears, crap axle housing casts, etc.

If you buy the "7075 Capra" axles on Ali now -- like on my TRX4 MEGA ---- these seem like pretty decent materials and the ad is specific in telling you what they used for each part of the axles construction.

But hey -- go for it -- buy a set and lets see how they do!! I'd love to know --- and Ali is really pretty good about taking stuff back if it fails out the gates quickly and you get your return going in a reasonable time frame.

Last edited:
If you like the Mega Truck look maybe bounce on over to the Micro's forum --- I just am finishing up FCX18- K10 Long Bed ---- with a Mega wide stance!! + 2inches overall width running WPL portals and 70mm Claws. Plans are eventually to get crazy and go up to 1.9's on 95mm Rock Crusher looking tires!!

Will be posting a few shorts and vids in a new thread on it tonight/tomorrow!

Those actually "look" quite nice.... but all the same issues as the SCX6 ones you posted --- these are trash if i'm guessing, which is all they leave you to do with ad specifics...... guess!

Made of High Quality Meterial, Stronger And More Durable, Improve The Appearance
Easy to use,Easy to replace

And there are again no photos of the internals??? And they are not portals, so why bother?? And there are NO DIMENSIONS posted so how are we supposed to know how wide the axle really is overall?

I paid $63 to my doorstep..... And facts are facts when it comes to materials I want to be assured of "hardened steel" and "7075 aluminum"......

These started and last I checked are still on Amazon for $150 a set. Again, I paid $63, I bought a full spare set already, and I bought a spare set of internals for another $18 which I think includes full set of portal gears l/r and axle shafts l/r and half shafts l/f. ring & pinion is Capra universals I believe and can get same in hardened steel on Ali for $12 a set.

Decently priced for what ya get if you ask me -- "knowing" is half the battle. We know hardened steel and 7075 Aluminum, when done right, hold up to the test of time in these applications!

They are all the same junk. You buy those knowing that you'll likely need to replace the shafts or the gears eventually. The ones ferp linked are better suited to the scale of the build you are talking about (so much talking). I can't understand arguing against appropriately sized axles, while also sporting ridiculous wheel extenders on tiny axles. Weird wild stuff..

They are all the same junk. You buy those knowing that you'll likely need to replace the shafts or the gears eventually.
i have the same axles i posted and ya i exspect to replace some parts eventually like all axles
i have i already broke a universal shaft on the ryft axles i replaced it with new axial axle shafts problem solved the gears are solid that was on the big og orange 1/6 scale nylint jeep its only 25lbs but hay its only got about 15 runs on it before the shaft broke not to bad including a 20 minute beat down on idle issues
i also have the same capra axles same story as the rest dosent matter what they advertise its the same carp but they do get me up and running right away and if i break something i upgrade
the ryft rbx10 axles are 1/8scale rock bouncer axles the internals make the capra look like tooth picks and toys there beefy
if you dont know the ryft axle dimensions look them up there posted everyware they make ar60s look small
the scx6 axles are huge the gears are mechined and the shafts are disposable so who cares the knuckles will be replaced with brass anyway so for less than i could buy plastic axles and parts for i got a complete set
i also have about 50 sets of ar60s and scx10ii axles and now 5 or so sets of capra axles
ive never had a cheap metal axle housing fail ever i have snaped plastic axles many times and on top of that axials axles deformed in the 110° heat causing the gears to strip out including the yeti xl

ive already snaped a output shaft at the pin hole on those capra axles with a 10mm hex and 1.9 tires i just dont see them holding up to 8 inch tires and 40mm exstentions but you dont have the terrain i do so maybe you will be ok

heres a link to a video of the trail idle issues just for referance and if you want a link to the og scx6 climbing it to just let me know

Back