• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TRX4 Speedy

OSRC

I wanna be Dave
TRX4 #4 is the redheaded stepchild of the fleet. I've 3 more, all set up different (The Puller, The Performer, and the Scaler) and I've never really sorted out what to do with this one. A while back I build it as a "go fast" envisioning a solid axle truck I could bomb around the backyard with. It was a fail, the truck was just too top heavy and barrel rolled at any speed.
20210910-105356-SM.jpg

After reading the "why can't a crawler go fast" thread, I've decided to take another look at it. This truck started as a Sport, so it's a single speed - not sure if I want a 2 speed or not. I'm out of BL systems, so a Holmes 12t is what it's got for now. It originally had a Castle 3800 in it, and it was wicked fast. This should tame it down a bit. Chassis chopped by an inch out back and some janky battery tray installed. I'm thinking a Bowhouse might come in handy here. The 'X4 chassis is great for this kind of project since the trans has a relatively high ratio and removing the portals give a decently high gear ratio, plus is has fairly tall cut outs so I can drop the truck down a bit.
20221109-112803-SM.jpg

SCX10 V1 axles.... why these axles? Open diffs! If I want any handling at all, open diffs are a must. I had these on before and they work pretty well. I would have liked to keep the stock axles and use SSD portal deletes, but you lose quite a bit of width with them. These keep the width and have large chunky gears. I set it up for the longer Defender WB this time as the shorter sport WB got a bit squirrely as speed.
20221109-112812-SM.jpg

Getting those big pumpkins under the chassis takes a bit of work. Rear was a direct fit bit the front was a bit hairy. I put some ball ends through the axle cases and used them as panhard and upper link mounts. It's as low profile as I could get.
20221109-112839-SM.jpg

Ignore the Ijit in the TV. Apparently, it's a show about some middle aged loser who spends his entire disposable income on RC trucks. Found the lightest body I could and got it mounted up and it looks great imo. I went with some 2.2's, front 'Pede rims for some extra offset - should help with stability. Not set on these yet, but I do like the look.
20221109-112725-SM.jpg

20221109-112748-SM.jpg

Swapped on some 80mm shocks to get the ride height down. I can't really go further as there's just not enough uptravel with the big pumpkins and the chassis. I think the stance is ok though.
20221109-112737-SM.jpg

Lots more to do "thumbsup"

Last edited:
I'm diggin' the outta-the-box thinking on this project - fun to see something different being built!

Looking forward to watching it progress..."thumbsup"

Nice rig so far!

You say open diffs. Now you got me thinking about a TRX on AR60 axles.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cool rig man! Those OG axles must have some beef. Front upper link mounts attach higher and closer together on the axle?

How about dual exhausts?

Fun build

Hey I recognize that janky battery tray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I recognize that janky battery tray

I hope that's not something you've designed, I'll feel like an ass. :)

Came on a Sport slider a while ago....whatever it is, the print is splitting down the middle. Soon I'll have 2 micro battery trays!

I hope that's not something you've designed, I'll feel like an ass. :)

Came on a Sport slider a while ago....whatever it is, the print is splitting down the middle. Soon I'll have 2 micro battery trays!

Don’t worry, I didn’t think it was special to begin with [emoji23]

I just thought it was kind of funny when I read it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapped out the wheels to a set of Axial beadlocks. They have a similar offset, but are a bit narrower and give the tire a better profile imo.
20221112-090826-SM.jpg

I think this is an RPM kit? Not sure, I found it in my SMT stuff. Either way, I made a little styrene tray so it mounts under the body.
20221120-100443-SM.jpg

Went with PL Gray Primer.. a little plain I guess but I like it. I think my days of complicated paint jobs are over, I just don't have patience for it anymore.
20221120-101105-SM.jpg

Took off the front bumper and added some light pods. Not sure about it yet, I may put the bumper back on.
20221120-101123-SM.jpg

No bumpers out back, no need really. Love the stance. :)
20221120-101142-SM.jpg

I trimmed the sliders down to match the body. Ish.
20221120-101151-SM.jpg

I received the Bowhouse tray, but it turns out it's too low and the upper links hit pretty bad, so the janky tray remains. I did use the rear crossmember though and gained quite a bit of rear travel. The upper links were hitting the stock crossmember. No more!
20221120-101206-SM.jpg

20221120-103458-SM.jpg

I took it for a test spin yesterday and it was way slow...I had the gearing at 15/45 and that gives a FDR of 17.54. I'd like to be closer to Slash range, about 12/13. I'm going to swap in a 16/39 and see if that wakes it up.

Small update

I took this out for a proper bash in the back yard. After a few minutes, I realized it was pretty slow overall..I went in to play with the gearing and whoops! I'm a bit dislexic at times and I thought I had put a 12t motor in here. Not so much...
20221209-091538-SM.jpg

Swapped to a Tamiya brushed just for testing...better. Wasn't sure if the chassis was up for more power, but it handled it pretty well so I think...
20221209-092640-SM.jpg

More power!!! Stripped a 10.5 BL system out of one of my touring cars (my old drag car) and ready to go for round 3.
20221224-123627-SM.jpg

I swapped over to some Geolanders on RPM wheels they had a bit more offset. Nothing wrong with the tires I was using, these are just a bit wider overall.
20221224-125856-SM.jpg

20221224-125913-SM.jpg

Back