• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

TRX-4 1979 Bronco Incorrect Wheelbase?

MerlinV12

Hello all,
not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I think it's related:

About a week ago I stumbled into a project I wanted to do with a Gen 2 Bronco. Some Reference Photos. I 3D printed some rims and used some old New Bright monster truck tires to look like the old 73" rims. I tested them out with a 12" wheelbase like the Traxxas 1979 Bronco body fits, and it looked wrong. I checked online and the wheelbase for the real 1979 bronco is 104 inches, and at 1/10 scale the wheelbase should be 10.4 inches, right? Did Traxxas stretch the Bronco body to fit the 12" wheelbase of the TRX-4? If so, that's too bad, because I can't find any other vendor of Gen 2 Bronco bodies. I am planning right now to build it on a Axial SCX10 I have, and that has a 12" wheelbase, so I might still use the Traxxas body. Anyways, can someone help me on this one?

Last edited:
the traxxasss body is closer to 8th scale and uses a 313mm/12.3 inch wheelbase
but its hard to say whats realy going on with out pictures cause you know no one here has ever realy seen a traxxass bronco body before lol

A lot of 1/10 scales aren't exactly 1/10; closer to 1/8 or 1/9.

12.3" isn't that much bigger than 12". It's pretty much not noticeable unless you know it's there and you're looking for it. Plus, with huge tires like that, you probably wont be able to tell. And if you can, so what lol.

Could you post a picture of what you're talking about? I could be misunderstanding.

Hello all,
not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I think it's related:

About a week ago I stumbled into a project I wanted to do with a Gen 2 Bronco. Some Reference Photos. I 3D printed some rims and used some old New Bright monster truck tires to look like the old 73" rims. I tested them out with a 12" wheelbase like the Traxxas 1979 Bronco body fits, and it looked wrong. I checked online and the wheelbase for the 1979 bronco is 104 inches, and at 1/10 scale the wheelbase should be 10.4 inches, right? Did Traxxas stretch the Bronco body to fit the 12" wheelbase of the TRX-4? If so, that's too bad, because I can't find any other vendor of Gen 2 Bronco bodies. I am planning right now to build it on a Axial SCX10 I have, and that has a 12" wheelbase, so I might still use the Traxxas body. Anyways, can someone help me on this one?
The answer to your question would be yes. The Traxxas body would have been lengthened to fit what is the most common wheelbase on out of the box RC Trail Trucks, 12.3 inches.

Vaterra released a 72 Bronco years back that had a 10.95 inch wheelbase

As pointed out by previous posters, the use of 1/10 as a scale designation is pretty loose. Most companies adjust their bodies to fit a couple of popular wheelbases that are out there.

Here is a picture of two of the wheels mounted on the scx10 (click for full scale):

And here is a picture of Grizzly:
grizzly01.jpg

For clarity, it's got a 12.3 inch wheelbase right now.
The height of those wheels are roughly 7.3 inches

I'm debating on making it into Stomper Bully or getting a shortened wheelbase kit for it. I have a few Jconcepts GMC K-10s laying around to be put to good use. I mainly want to race it in Outlaw RC Tournaments like the ones Trigger King does.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have decided to make the monster truck into Stomper Bully!
I found a body for it that matches the appropriate wheelbase specs: GMC K10 . It ran 73" tires and had 1250 Horses. I think that the longer wheelbase would perform better as well.

Back