• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Travis C's FJ45 2.2 part Deux already built thread

travis c.

I wanna be Dave
My goal was to have a scale looking rig that crawled good. Judging by yesterday's results, mission accomplished!:mrgreen:

Specs:
TSS aluminum chassis, SMW Wet Dream Skid, CF elect. plate
AR60 axles with the typical treatment, OD, UD, Dlux trusses/servo mount, Creeperbob rear Ti shafts, FI spools, RCBros knuckle weights, VP knucks and Cs, Axial unis., SMW link/shock mounts, 13 3/4'" Wheelbase
China knockoff wheels, Nova inners, P.L. mem. outers, J-Concepts Scorpios
H.H. BRXL W.P., 35t Holmes handwound, 7950, CC BEC@7.4, Airtronics MT-4, 3s 1500 T.N.T. batts
RC4WD AX2 2 speed tranny (might go back to Axial tranny, not sure yet)
Ti links, Revo/Jato rod ends, Traxxas Big Bores, Mini-T springs, Jeepindoug cups, some P.L. scale accessories.

Some pics from yesterday at a local spot. Rig was driven into and out of all pics, no poser shots.
ed386891-6141-417b-a5c0-ec47039bc22b.jpg

20160420_143001.jpg

20160420_142541.jpg

20160420_141306.jpg

20160420_143326.jpg

I'll get some more pics later with the body off. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I was just thinking of building something using an RC4WD FJ40 hardbody and cutting it down for a sick FJ45 build. This is exactly what I was thinking. Looking forward to more pics.

Wes

Thanks Wes, here's a few workbench pics. The body pivots on the rear crossbrace and the battery is accessible from the bottom of the truck so no need to mess with the body for batt changes"thumbsup"...........................
20160421_123226.jpg

20160421_123307.jpg

20160421_123341.jpg

20160421_123409.jpg

20160421_123459.jpg

20160421_123438.jpg

Nice looking rig Travis! That body came out sweet and i like the way your battery mounts up. Is that carbon skid attached to the battery or chassis in any way?

That looks dialed, and I am sure it works twice as good as it looks too! "thumbsup"

Nice looking rig Travis! That body came out sweet and i like the way your battery mounts up. Is that carbon skid attached to the battery or chassis in any way?

Indeed it is, a thin layer of ShoeGoo. I love that stuff! It is also holding the sliders and boatsides.

Badass - I dig it. It's super cool how you ran the uppers

Thank you, had to clear the battery somehow.

That looks dialed, and I am sure it works twice as good as it looks too! "thumbsup"

Thank you Brandon, I was quite surprised by the performance on the maiden voyage!

Nice work Travis, I don't believe you when you say you are surprised by how well it works. I knew it as soon as I saw your post. "thumbsup"

Nice work Travis, I don't believe you when you say you are surprised by how well it works. I knew it as soon as I saw your post. "thumbsup"

Thank you Dean, I've been out of the game for a while and thought my skills would be a little rusty.

I surprisingly found some old school CDW tranny outputs on RPP, order placed and going to send them to the best machinist for some treatments, Rob B. at SMW! The rig weighs in at 7# with the RC4WD AX2 so with a SCX tranny I should be able to shed some weight up top.

Got it sitting a little lower. I removed the stock rear shock hoops and bolted on some stock Axial hoops, the front got some softer springs. It looks better but I have yet to drive it, hopefully I'll get out in the next couple days.
20160425_175518.jpg

20160425_175451.jpg

So I tossed on some new shoes on the 2.2 SMW Screw U's, they seem very small compared to the RC4WD Bud Bashers and J-Concepts Scorpions which are about 6"(depending on the foam). Haven't had em on the rocks yet but I have a feeling I will be pleased, although I do wish they were a bit taller.

Also installed a HPI lexan interior for a more scale apperance.
20160601_174747.jpg

20160601_174720.jpg

I was using a brand new 36 grit flap disc on my grinder to turn down some Nova inners (ghetto lathe) and the dang thing grabbed the foam and shot back, luckily my finger was in the way. If you look close you can see the individual gouges from the large grit. I wish I got a pic when I first did it, it was fairly deep, not sure if I was looking at bone or white meat. That hurt for a few minutes. This pic is fro the next day:
20160528_090913.jpg

It was a bleeder, had to change the bandage a few times because I was leaving drops of blood wherever I went.:ror:
20160527_180309.jpg

Finger, the other other white meat. Glad it wasnt any worse. FJ is looking mean! "thumbsup"

Last edited:
Back