• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

The proline venom axial build

CelicaST_CALI

Rock Stacker
Not really sure where to put this as its not really a 2.2 scaler and no 2 parts are from the same model. I picked up this rig from Hoosierdady a few weeks ago for a great price. Before this I had an axial AX10 all metaled out but still rocking the axial chassis. I ended up parting it out when this rig came up. Got it a few days ago and have been fiddling with it ever since. Specs:

Proline Tuber with a Kamikaze lower chassis.
Venom axles (locked)
Axial trans with all metal gears
Some sort of brushed motor out of my old axial
Traxxas waterproof servo
Bent alloy links
Redcat RS10 beadlocks (not in best shape)
Imex Swamp Dawgs with every other little lug cut
RC4WD esc w/ drag brake

Pictures:
DSCF1649.jpg

DSCF1652.jpg

One of the first things I did was install the tranny/motor combo out of my old rig. I also flipped the rear steering setup(not hooked up). Also installed a battery tray under the hood to hold the massive NIHMs I had from the old crawler. More current pictures after its first crawl(today):
imag0112ke.jpg

imag0113k.jpg

After the first crawl I do have some questions.

- I have a feeling I already know the answer, and that its the batteries don't have enough power. But quite a few time in a riverbed I found that the rig just didn't have enough power to push out of something, it would just stop. It seemed like my old rig would just torque itself until it broke free, or broke itself. Personally I like having the massive amount of torque as the powertrain is pretty damn beefy and usually the rock gives before the metal gives.

-Also this rig seems faster than my old one, which I cant only attribute to me having to use a higher toothed pinion to make contact with the universal low toothed spur. The tooth difference on the spur was 4 (91-87) but the pinion is toothed much higher than my old one. Would getting an OEM spur gear it down again or are the venom axles geared higher than the axials?

-Lipo V NIHM. I have 4 NIHM, 2 venom 6 cell 5ks, 1 venom 3k and another 5k. I do however have a few lips ranging from 1300 to 800. I use triton 1 to charge everything. Would investing in a large lipo really be noticeable?

Any input is welcome.

Mh is Mh is doesnt matter if it is lipo or nickel metal...its just the size of the gas tank so to speak.

A higher c rating lipo will give you more torque if your motor/esc is up to it.

Mh and c rating go hand in hand in a lipo to create your available amp draw capacity. So in a sence, higher MH will give you more amo draw capacity which can equate to more toque if the moter /esc combo has it in it.

A lipo will hold its nominal voltage until darn near lipo cut-off.Nimh will drop nominal voltage a lot quicker. That inturn will effect your torque/wheelspeed.

Your gearing sounds like the issue a good hand wound motor may overcome the shortfalls in torque but you will still need tha amp draw capacity to see all the bennifits.

There is a lot more that goes into how well all the components will work together but that is the quick and dirty basics.

Hope that helps you choose your next move.

Back