• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Steering issue when end points nearing maxed out

bgredjeep is correct about it should only be able to go together in phase. I just checked a spare locker I have. I was sure that was what I had an issue with. It was about 10 years or so ago so my mind be suffering from old timers disease. ;-)

Any change you will be able to get video? Just shoot the video with your cellphone and upload it to YouTube, Imgur, etc.

You can't install the axle shafts out of phase with the locker. They only go in 2 ways, and always in phase either way.

I'm not sure how anyone can offer any more options of what might be going on without seeing it. You are looking right at it and can't tell. Post a video to Instagram or something so we can see what it's doing.

Based on everything posted so far I'm pretty sure it's normal and you just never noticed before.

Well I continued replying yesterday because I didn't get the chance to dig into this further. So without being able to actually troubleshoot, I continued in the discussion. It's not a matter of what more suggestions might be offered... I simply wasn't able to get back into this yesterday due to other obligations.

bgredjeep is correct about it should only be able to go together in phase. I just checked a spare locker I have. I was sure that was what I had an issue with. It was about 10 years or so ago so my mind be suffering from old timers disease. ;-)

That's okay. I really wasn't sure whether or not axle-shafts could be out of phase... probably b/c I don't remember ever seeing anything about it when working on RC or full size rigs. I'm also aging fast and I'm not in great shape... physically as well as with my mind. Sad thing about aging ( at least in my case) is that it creeps up so slowly but once it starts to take hold, it's hard to get out from under it. When I look at where I was at just 15-20 years ago... pretty sad.

Thank you, nightcrawler48 for your help and patience. I'll get this sorted out with all the assistance offered here. I just need to set aside some time today to go through what was suggested.

Any change you will be able to get video? Just shoot the video with your cellphone and upload it to YouTube, Imgur, etc.

I'll look at figuring that out, Jato if I'm unable to troubleshoot this now. I really appreciate your time and input here and although I'm not on the forum much anymore, it's really nice to see you back. Here's hoping that things are going well for you after all that you've been through in recent years. Thanks again.

I'll look at figuring that out, Jato if I'm unable to troubleshoot this now. I really appreciate your time and input here and although I'm not on the forum much anymore, it's really nice to see you back. Here's hoping that things are going well for you after all that you've been through in recent years. Thanks again.

You’re welcome. You can even send the video to me in email or on Facebook if you do that and I’ll give it a shot to help.

Thank you for the kind words! I’m happy again.

I appreciate that, Jato. I'm going to have to figure that out. Easy for some, lil harder for those old guys that have always been a bit technically challenged. But I know it goes a long way to helping diagnose issues.

So what I've done so far...

Pulled everything out or off of the front end.. complete inspection and thorough cleaning and/ or re-greasing or graphite of king-pins, axle shafts, stub shafts, diffs, c-hubs, portal covers, bearings, hex-hubs, all screws.

Then I double checked to make sure that drive-shafts are in phase. Checked for any binding of rear wheels, axle-shafts, diffs, and ESC settings as well.

There was some dirt, debris around or into the axle shafts, portal covers, and all that.. so meticulously cleaned and re-greased where applicable.

Noticed also several contact areas... the Vitavon portal covers at the c-hubs ( underside) was making a bit of contact so I shaved down the portal covers a bit along those areas. Also some contact at the inside of the portal covers at the inside of pass-side wheel.

Also the nut on the backside of the servo arm was contacting the diff cover when turning towards drive-side.. ever so slightly. I don't think that it was a contributor of the lurching issue but went ahead and filed/ sanded down that too so everything is now free to rotate or spin with no obstructions.

Lastly I noticed that the Axial axle shafts are almost 1 mm smaller than the SSD hubs that I'm using. If I tighten the grub-pins down all the way through, it causes the hub to become off-center a fair bit. But if I back off the grub-pin then the hub wobbles on the shaft. So I dug thru my wheel-parts bin and went with a brass hex that has a smaller ID and a short grub-screw that I just tightened down into the axle-shaft hole. The grub screw is larger than the hole so it tightens down nice and snug into the hole ( but not all the way thru like the grub-pin did) No more wheel wobble now and much more accurately centered.

I think that's about it. I still have a bit more to do before I fire it up but it appears maybe, that at least one or more of these issues might have caused or exacerbated the lurching issue.

I'll report back when I get her back on all fours.

Last edited:
Back