• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SCX6 CLOD - DUAL BRUSHLESS - 35lb MEGA RIG!!

Hits keep comin', rigs keep rippin!!

Here I drive both BIG RIGS together!!! Double Fisting Tx's!!! Camera mounted to one of the Tx's.... LOL i'm not ambidextrous though :(

I noticed at end of the above vid the RYFT RUBICON steering fastener worked loose, got bent..... So I decided to HAUL IT HOME on the back of the SCX6 Clodbuster --- didn't even adjust the suspension at all (shocks can mount straight up and down and go full spring tension to carry extreme weight in the bed) but this time I was with shocks laying down furthest possible and softes spring setting ---- and other than some tire rub it hauled it just fine for a short distance.... I can also air up the rear tires inner tubes and it will haul better that way with clearance and easier rolling force!! Just really was no need for such a lightweight load... muahaahahaha lol just kidding!

Uh oh... just noticed the rear 570 MEGA motor in the SCX6 CLOD has a failed cooling fan inside it...

It's chattering around in there and I think it's an indication that the shaft rear bushing is beginning to fail already!! Drats!

Well it's time to get CRAZY again.......

No more messin around... big brushed has been a nice success in this rig... just need bearings on both ends of the motor shaft... enough of the cheapo bushings!!!

I found MASSIVE 775's on Ali for very cheap actually $10 and they have DUAL BALL BEARINGS!!! YESSS!!

The cans are bigger around but close in length as a 570. Bigger 5mm shaft so smallest is 10t pinion which is 40% bigger than 6t for the 570's 3.17mm shaft and larger mount hole pattern on M4's instead of M3's. The rpm rating is also just 6k at 12v and I think the 570s were 16k at 12v so that should actually make the truck a wee bit slower and more torque....

EXCELLENT!!!!!!

Still, I think I can make them fit and I think the extra power will help push despite bigger pinions! Gonna try... then should easily be able to pull a real car if the transmssions will hold!

Last edited:
the 775 brushed motor is really close to the 3540 brushless outrunner 1450kv in torque
the up side of the 775 is smooth brushed start up and they make good torque
the down side is the limited rpm range of the brushed motor and they produce alot of heat when crawling

i ran 1 on my wraith and hated it but moved the drivetrain to a 1/8 scale build and it works really well

Yeah you're not wrong, I should probably just go back to the 4250 brushless I had in there --- wider/longer than a 3540 I think -- good amount more torque.... ran them up to 8s ripping thru deep snow when I can only go up to 3s on the brushed setup.

But I just like how the front and rear can stall independently of each other with brushed and neither motor cares at all... eventually one just pulls the other into movement and the truck goes.... if stalled, keep throttling and it will go or spin tires eventually -- quite powerful it seems even just 3s.

With brushless the 4250's felt like I had to be alot more careful and monitor front to rear --- if one of those brushless motors stalls, its a huge AMP moment and can be quite an issue pushing 8.5inch tires thru large treacherous rocks. When either rmotor stalls, can't really wait for the other motor to pull it into motion, have to hear the awful "SQUEAL", back off, and re-approach to correct/adjust and prevent the big stall. Brushed if it was over-stalled ie it couldn't possibly go, you can still get to 100% throttle, not break anything, and find out w/out no issue its time to back off, re-approach, etc.

I put one of the 4250 Brushless Outrunners in the TRX4-XXL as you know and it will stall out, not too easily at all, but moreso than I expected, even in low gear - very binded situations. Probably I need to crank up SINEWAVE to full power (currently at 1/2) but I'm trying to keep heat down, breakage down, and long battery runs. So far, its crawling good enough for me and motor temps are barely warm, 110-115's F max so far!! Still, I feel like i'd be disappointed with any less torque of a narrower brushless so don't think a 3540 could push the 22lb TRX-XXL with such large tires 40 series tires unless find a much lower gearing. The 4250 I have now is already only 375kv -- pretty much one of the lowest you can posibly get in this size Outrunner - on high gear in the TRX4-XXL, even a mid-battery voltage in my thick deep cut-every-other-week grass can begin to stall out of the 4250 and this I found shocking to be honest. Or if you punch the throttle too hard in high gear, and mid-battery, it can stall straight away, again I was a tad surprised of that. This is all on 4s 5200mah 75c lipos too -- no SLOUCH in power availablity.

Anyways -- good fun as always -- if the 775's don't fit, prolly just return for a spare set of 570's or try to find a dual bearing set of 570's.

Last edited:
I don't know man, they fit nice and the ability to start up incredibly slow with lots of torque was pretty well unmatched... I still only ran the brushless once in the CLOD after I upgraded the counter gear bearings to 10x5x4 due to the constantly failing 8x5x2.5........ the bearings held up but then I got cold feet and went to the brushed 550 motors in hopes it would have less torque and never need another rebuild!

550's held so good non stop thrashing and the motors themselves failed -- so on to the 570's. Thrashed them to death now and transmissions still going smooth as butter with the bigger bearings so i am indeed tempted to test fate back with 4250's again...... Ultimate for crawling and pulling!

The rig has also only gotten heavier since then... I could use some slow speed torque -- just a little lol! Really the 570's have been so good and powerful I have NO idea why i'm thinking of changing them. No clue. They don't overheat, they don't break the transmissions, they have more than enough pulling, hill climbing, and rock crawling torque for days, decent fast walk speed when needed, drag brake on/off on the Tx, and I have about 3 miles drive time/distance in a pretty cheap 3s 15,600mah lipo, just 50C rated nothin' special. How can I argue with all that I just don't even know lol!? But I sure try it seems....

Work so hard for success -- typical human behavior, achieve it and then seek to ruin it (or re-invent it at least lol)

Throwback!! First vid after I put the Jeep body on it 15yrs ago!! There were earlier vids but somehow Youtube has nixxed them --- it used to have the old Proline Bronco body and the old school 40 series MOAB tires (sadly discontinued).... This was with narrowed 40 series Masher tires -- I was going for a smaller tire and more scale look at the time!!

How times fly....

I want to say if I remember correctly on this setup I had already moved on from old school Integy 540 sized 55t Lathe motors and was on early test production HolmesHobbies Crawlmaster Outrunners (Thank John!) and twin Kontronik JAZZ 40-6-18 brushless esc's ($180 per ESC at the time, nutso it seems compared to what $180 will buy you today but that was a very versatile ESC back then and I still have both of them working well today - one in a 64mm EDF JET lol).

Last edited:
Yet another overhaul!!!

LOL, it never ends... So the Axial 3.8 beadlocks have been slowly stripping away at the 17mm hexes --- plastic wheels will do that under all the torque load.

I still too cheap to spring for the stamped steel beadlocks just yet, and i'd have to butcher them down to make them narrow, and I don't want to deal with that. So I went cheap but effective, again. $17 for Integy 6-fastener aluminum 17mm hub adapters... pretty sweet for the money!

I got them all drilled out and fastened up using six 12.9 grade carbon steel M3 fasteners -- STRONG HOLD!!!! -- barely fit with the center bolt nut, but it works well and clearly not going to be any more wheel slippage issues whatsoever!!! Checked transmission gears when I switched motors, the rear 570 brushed is TIRED, had to go. GEARS are GOLDEN so far.... Very happy about that, spins smooth and free still both front and rear.

ALSO ---- BACK TO DUAL BRUSHLESS BABY!!! This time experimenting with both motors wired to a single AM32 RHINO 80Amp ESC with Sinewave programmability..... and, it works!!!

Because the motors are wired up to the same ESC and essentially all 6 motor wires are in contact with each, they are "IN SYNC" or phase and so even though there's no driveshaft connection front to rear, when you forcibly rotate front wheels, the rear system also turns in sync, and vice versa. So the motors are "married" in sync together and it drives MUCH more like a shaft-driven vehicle in terms of front and rear turning "IN LOCK" together at all times. No slippage whatsoever front to rear anymore regardless of how much grip variation front to rear. ITS AWESOME!!!

All MOA's could go brushless like this (maybe they already do I don't know). Was impressed the ESC is keeping the motors running so smooth. It is really low RPM's though, so that helps.

Can't spin too high of an RPM before a motor gets whack and squeals -- but no matter, it has INSANE torque levels even in the slowest possible RPM --- I mean it will rock crawl a substantial terrain and hill on just the lowest TRIM clicks that get it moving --- and it WON'T STALL EASY!!!

LAte in this vid I set TRIM to Cruise Control and just let it drive around w/out triggering, as slow as it can possibly crawl --- it doesn't stall one time!

This IS the setup.... I Love it. Can't go over 1mph -- but so what, crawling is what I want it do best. FINALLY THERE!!!!

Last edited:
And another...

This time with Dual RHINO BRUSHLESS 80Amp ESC's ---- one ESC for two Brushless motors crawled great, but could not get any wheel speed and it was going to hold things back during difficult hill climbs or snow pushes.......

So i've got both Rhino ESC's up and running and everything seems nice and smooth ---- here's a vid hitting a quick shot up the beans and also over to the bigger rock section and up the pallet to see how it goes. With one ESC I couldnt get up the pallet due to lack of wheels peed the rig couldn't transition up the initial lip.

Also dropped a lipo, so now it's 3s2p 5200mah instead of 3p. Still plenty of capacity for run time but this vid I started with a near empty lipo..... had to cut it quick.

so um when dose it get some time out on the rocks lol 👍
Well.. it's odd. I have a wife and a dog and a decent house and 2.5 acres.... and I just don't leave here w/out them to go literally anywhere and it's been like that since I moved here after covid ish.

I take a truck in the car to park but it's always a focus to walk and satiate the dogs needs.... and so I don't get crawling (it's wouldn't be crazy rocks that's a 35min drive I just need both trucks working good for that day).

I'm lacking some sort of motivation... I haven't even driven the R35 a single time thus year other than up/down the street once to warm/freshen. 😞

CLOD is perfect and ready but TRX-XXL bust front drive yoke peeled it open on a "rock" I put in quotes since you seem to think the only real rocks are attached to bedrock... but yeah I get it some new and more rocky or hilly terrain would be kinda nice.

TRX carbon steel Drive shaft comes in a 8ish days and meantime I stole the 4250 and 2nd RHINO Esc back into the CLOD for the dual brushless (6s CLOD VID TOMORROW!!!!

Snagged ANOTHER Aerodrive 4250 Outrunner and am32 80amp generic brushless quad esc and hopefully it all ships reasonably quick a week or two so both rigs are full big Outrunner brushless. Was gonna try a 5055 but it's giant and clearance is already tight with the 4250 in TRX chassis.

Lol by then CLOD will be busted again with my luck! I was already over doing it lugging around the yard a 30lb cement block in the bed today and then crawled it thru the beans!!

Also experimented with pulling the TRX4 as a roller no motor thru the beans and up the hill with a chain on the back of CLOD... went like a BOSS... DUAL BRUSHLESS POWA!!!

So anyways they can both crawl darn well for how well rounded their mud, snow, trail setups are.. that is if you can live with no more than a walkers pace on the trail. Neither rig goes medium fast even.

If you need to see Redrock bedrock crawl... umm. Well I'm just in the wrong geography to show you that. Wish I could, my sense is lots of shoes would find mouths at that point more than have already I'm pretty sure; but thats not for me to say until ive done it so let me shut my trap right nowsk as it just diesnt mayter at alli! 😍

The rigs are just right once TRX XXL is fixed up and i wouldnt trade either of them for any other rigs on the beat so all 👍 good from my end!

Let's crawl!

Last edited:
i was just busting your rocks lol
i dont leave my property much ether same reasons but knowing this i moved to were i like to recreate i got tireds of living on the ocean figured it was time for a change since i only surfed once every few months but was crawling almost every day moved to a crawl spot now i dont get out much even though there world class crawling just off the property
heck the k5 has sat since i moved here the scout hasent been touched the battle wagon is still on the trailer even though it runs good and has no problems other than the peskiy freeze plug lol that keeps poping out the dirtbikes frame rusted away and my quad wont start and nother will the 6x6 lol i havent even tryed to start the volkswagons in maybe 10 years ive driven the diesel truck twice in the past 6 years lol
my rcs are really being neglected also rotten tires and broken parts are stacking up to the point were im running out of room in my man cave but im gonna try and get as many running as posable for proline by the fire and summer is almost over so the 115° days are over and i can go outside agail lol
anyway good luck with getting your rigs together for a crawl trip
ill be doing the same
lol

Back