• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SCX24 Basic electronics/motor upgrade

Voodoobrew

I wanna be Dave
Youtube Video

This mode makes the SCX24 about 75% slower but it has way more torque.
Plus it makes fancy tunes during startup 8)

The motor is a 1408 size 1850KV brushless outrunner

The ESC is a Airbot Wraith32 V2 BLHeli32 35A with stock firmware.

To program the esc I use a Betaflight F4 Noxe V1 Flight Controller it basically is a USB interface to connect to the BLHeli32 configuration software. You need this to enable reverse. and to add the Dukes of Hazzard start up tone (obviously mandatory).

SCX24 Tiny Brushless Motor Plate

The pinion is a mod0.3, 10t, 2mm ID, brass pinion

for a battery I got Turnigy Nano-Tech Plus 500mAh 3S 70C Lipo Pack w/XT30 its a bit heavier and taller but I made a lower mount for it.

The optional battery tray SCX24 low cg battery tray

I use a Spektrum DX5C with a SR3100 DSM2 Receiver but you can use what ever you want, the stock esc/receiver has a passthrough mode you can use I hear.

almost forgot Mini360 3A DC Voltage Step Down Power Converter Buck to drop the voltage for the reciever. They are pretty crappy and fail easily, but also super cheap.

I added some brass weights to the wheels

After the mods it crawls about the same a stock deadbolt as far as steep climbs go. But it has much better torque, especially when going slow. Very smooth low end. It's a little bit slower, about 75-80% as fast, and probably has more run time.

I don't plan on modding this much more, I did add the ES08MA II 12g Mini Metal Gear Analog Servo because I accidentally ran it with 12v and the stock one died instantly.

Maybe some new tires, but they are so pricy for tires and wheels. I ran mine in some wd40 and let it sit on the tire for a little bit. Not really soaking them, because I hear that makes this rubber swell pretty bad. It didn't do much so I might try it a few times to soften them up. If I ruin them on accident then I'll get some more. It just seems silly to spend so much on upgrades when I can just get a second car and have the friend mod...

Last edited:
Wouldn't be hard to save some money buying these bits in bulk, with shapeways shipping costs, and parts coming in multi packs. But I'm not interested in selling stuff. I am more of a buyer...

I Changed out the ESC, Well Its basicaly the same ESC but I loaded some custom Firmware on it so it can go way slower.
Playing around with a new ESC just to see how slow these things can go.

Back