• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

SAF Berg gears

well i WAS going to throw a set of my spare berg gears in those new ultralights your making me but better send me an invoice for a pair of these for them "thumbsup""thumbsup"

Invoice sent "thumbsup"

Does a set come with the big pins? Nice work!"thumbsup"

They will all come standard with big pins. "thumbsup"

Yeah. Saw that on here. Doesn't mention it on the website. A permanent supply of gears is nice to have !!

Yep, now we can all take them for granted and act like there was never a problem. :lmao:

Not worth making all of the gears 48 pitch?

You suck by the way; I have a relatively unmolested set of berg cases that I've been itching to build into something.

I thought about making them all 48p. Couple reasons I didnt. First was because I am a bit of a purist (ha) and wanted to keep them .6 mod for sentimental reasons. Another was to make it so they can possibly be used with existing gears, which looks like it may have not worked out so good since the teeth on mine were made for each other, being a more ideal tooth rather than what has been made in the past.

You have been hinting a super for awhile. Get to work! Two long side wraith shafts and you could have a really cheap and strong super.

Awesome work Erik!!!!! I will definitely be picking some of these gears up when I get back from my trip. They look killer man!!"thumbsup"

Got a chance to run these new gears in my Super last night NICE and quite. Dlux 26 grams RC4WD's 37g 11 Grams lighter . Both using RCB Alum. lockers Not to mention being able to use 48 pitch pinions!!!!!

Long Live BERG'S now that gears will be available agn Nice work Erik Dlux & Robinson Racing:mrgreen:"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

Last edited:
People are getting their SAF Berg gears and the reports are coming in. Everybody is getting to see first hand how smooth, quiet and tight the gearing is.

Nobody has either figured out or mentioned the "secret" benefit so I wanted to go over that in this post.

One of the biggest benefits of the gears is not only being able to use 48p pinions but you also get better gearing options. This means not only can you go with a smaller pinion because you can now find one that will hold up but before you only had the option of going with a 12t because thats the lowest you could find. Now, you can find as low as 9t if you like.

Now, you not only have the ability to run a smaller and better pinion but the SAF 2nd gear is slightly larger. THIS IS ALSO GIVING A BETTER RATIO.

If youre still awake, lets talk numbers because I think they are the best way to understand what we are talking about.

I was running a 14t pinion before in my Berg gears. To find which pinion I would run now to be the same ratio, I simply divide 42 (stock large 2nd gear) by 14 and come up with 42/14=3. 3 is the ratio of my first cluster of gearing. Now, the SAF large 2nd gear is 48t so you would want to 48t/3(previous ratio)= 16t. So, as you can see, a 16t pinion gear would give me the same ratio I had before with a 14t. If you have been paying attention, this is a benefit in itself since you now have a bigger more robust pinion gear than before.

Now, hopefully you can see the difference the new large 2nd gear is making. But, lets take it further so you can see how it drastically changes the overall ratio.

Below is the combined ratio for all gears. The only difference is the pinion gears and the difference from an SAF large 2nd to stock Berg large 2nd.

SAF large 2nd = 48t
Stock Berg large 2nd = 42t
Berg small 2nd = 14t
Berg large 3rd = 12t
Berg 4th gear = 48t

Stock Berg with 12t pinion
42/12=3.5
40/14=2.857
48/12=4
3.5*2.857*4= 39.99

OR what I consider the lowest ratio you can go with a Berg and still have a reliable pinion
42/14=3
40/14=2.857
48/12=4
3*2.857*4= 34.28

SAF gears with a 12t pinion
48/12=4
40/14=2.857
48/12=4
4*2.857*4= 45.71

If youre getting crazy, do a 9t pinion
42/9=4.66
40/14=2.857
48/12=4
3*2.857*4= 53.33

So, as you can see, this is a HUGE reason I am personally happy with these gear sets. I went from a 34.28 ratio with what I still consider a sub par pinion that I have to replace regularly (and sounds horrible) to a 45.71 ratio with a great pinion and that the sound of my car does not change because the pinion is wearing out. THAT IS A HUGE JUMP IN RATIOS!!!

Now, with the SAF gears, you have the great advantage of running a wider rage of gearing. If you like that, youre going to love what I have coming up next!

Another favorite thing about the gears is that you can see the gun drilling from the OUTSIDE of the case. No question when people see your car that they can see youre running quality parts. My only problem with looking at them is that all I can think of is making some sort of PTO that attaches to them.

Attachments

• 20160811_123956.jpg
    20160811_123956.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 299
You can see that the upper motor screw is pretty buried under the 2nd gear. I bought a ball end driver and it was not too bad to get it tight

Attachments

• 20160811_123842.jpg
    20160811_123842.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 293
WTF!!! 12 days later and my first glimpse of these!?!?!?!?

I seriously need to find a new job! One that doesn't have me gone 15hrs a day!

I sure can't wait to get a set in my rig! I'm really hoping these gears are ready to Stand and Fight, to keep your claims true.. I have an 11yr old hoping to give them a go, when I'm done with them, and someday his kido can run them! ;)

Great work Erik!

Seems everybody is busy these days!

Got the rest of your parts off to you too, hopefully you already know that though...

Just bought 2 sets, couldn't help myself dammit!!! These are just too cool to not have in my superlites. Can't wait to test em!!!!"thumbsup"

Back