• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC

Interesting. Same motor I have so it should respond the same.

Although highly unlikely, it's almost as if they incorrectly labeled the motor it's really a 1700 or even a 1400Kv motor. Those would spin fewer revolutions per volt which seems suspiciously like what's happening with your motor.

I guess now it's a matter of waiting until you get the new ESC to see what happens. If nothing changes, maybe you could return the motor as defective. I know, major PITA.

Yeah, MPITA but my guess is it's the ESC. Maybe even the quick soldering job to get on the larger connectors (unlikely I know). Like you say, very unlikely to be wrongly labelled motor.

Just took it for a bash now and got 56km/h out of it...still a good bashing speed and already runs more smoothly with the Leopard.

Watch this space.

Just installed the new ESC and whilst it runs significantly smoother, I'm not getting more speed. Quite disappointing!

I need to replace several parts so I'll check all the bearings etc and try again but it doesn't look good. Still, a good bashing speed for me.

MailManX, would be interested to hear what your punch and timing settings are...

Cheers.

Well, I've stripped her down and did notice some minor binding. I gave her a good clean, replaced some bearings and can now get her up to 60km/h on tarmac (default timing). Not bad, but it just bugs the hell out of me that I can't get more speed!!

I didn't end up getting the higher discharge batteries. The highest C rating batteries are 35C. However, isn't C rating related to punch and not speed?

Anyway, I am considering the following options:

Try 3S batteries (although a total of 6S is probably pushing it!)
Try batteries with a higher C rating (not sure this will give me more top end)
Change the gearing (I've got heaps of torque so happy to sacrifice some)
Purchase another (cheaper) motor, e.g. Tacon 3660-540L-11T Brushless Motor 2200KV, to see what the difference is
Do nothing and enjoy the ride!

Thanks for keeping me up to date! Sorry for the delay in replying back.

My punch is at 8 and my timing is the default 15-degrees.

I think a gear change is a wise choice as it is the cheapest and most easily remedied if it doesn't help.

LiPo C-ratings are most accurately measured in both "burst" and "continuous" mode, but they do tend to both be higher in better quality batteries. That provides more punch, for sure, but can also provide a bit more speed due to more current flow. However, I think your 35C batteries should be just fine.

If a larger pinion does not give the speed you want, then either 3S batteries or a higher KV motor will do the trick. Neu-Castle makes a size 3670 motor called the model 1415 that is 4-pole and 2400Kv. They are fast motors. They are also pretty expensive. I got a deal on a used one which I put one in my grandson's Stampede 4X4. I had to turn down the punch and put a smaller pinion on it to keep the speed under control for him.

Thanks again for the advice MailManX. I'm considering going 3S but it appears the ESC is only rated to a maximum of 4S so I'll look at replacing the pinion gear.

Back