• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Redcat Gen7 Pro - X-Mas present for 6yo daughter

Man, she loves it. We have crawled in the house a little, as well as made some trails in the yard, but the steering really limits its capabilities.
That will be the first thing we fix when time permits.
the narrow xrmod will give you the best steering but you would have to fit a axial locker or get realy creative with your axle shafts
this allows you to run wraith steering parts and build a almost bullet proof axle or go all out and pick up a metal og axial axle housing and build that up.for a much stronger axle and a bonus is a heavy metal front axle for better crawling and cog then keep the front axle for spare parts for the rear

Last edited:
the narrow xrmod will give you the best steering but you would have to fit a axial locker or get really creative with your axle shafts
this allows you to run wraith steering parts and build a almost bullet proof axle or go all out and pick up a metal og axial axle housing and build that up. for a much stronger axle and a bonus is a heavy metal front axle for better crawling and cog then keep the front axle for spare parts for the rear

Thanks ferp, I will look into that for the future, but hopefully I can increase it at least a little with some tweaks and free mods. At 6 years old, she can't have the best yet... :lmao: It has to be earned :twisted:

Plus, I don't want her to out crawl me...:shock:

Thanks ferp, I will look into that for the future, but hopefully I can increase it at least a little with some tweaks and free mods. At 6 years old, she can't have the best yet... :lmao: It has to be earned :twisted:

Plus, I don't want her to out crawl me...:shock:

Yeah, the high clearance steering kit they sell (if the pro doesn't already include those knuckles) should let you max out the cvd axles, around 45° of angle, no problem. It still won't turn great being fully locked, but short of a pricy upgrade (xr) or 4ws, it's what can be achieved quick and cheap. It's a nice improvement over stock without the high steer knuckles.

Yeah, the high clearance steering kit they sell (if the pro doesn't already include those knuckles) should let you max out the cvd axles, around 45° of angle, no problem. It still won't turn great being fully locked, but short of a pricy upgrade (xr) or 4ws, it's what can be achieved quick and cheap. It's a nice improvement over stock without the high steer knuckles.
the xr mod isent as much about steering its about reliable steering i have a colection of broken cvd/dog bone shafts from all the rigs ive fixed indont have a gen7 but i have a pile of peices gen7 axles and e10 axles laying around that ive replaced or repaired the
the xr mod might not be the cheapest option although wraith knuckles and c hubs are cheap these days as are the shafts and the axial locker but the hole combo adds up in contrast if you break 2 or 3 cvds your close to the cost of the xrmod and you only do the xrmod once it realy is the only real fix for that style of axle i dont care if its redcat or axial both brands the only way to get reliable steering is with the xrmod

however if you dont over power the rig it should last ok with the stock parts but if your gona upgrade make it a real upgrade

the xr mod isent as much about steering its about reliable steering i have a colection of broken cvd/dog bone shafts from all the rigs ive fixed indont have a gen7 but i have a pile of peices gen7 axles and e10 axles laying around that ive replaced or repaired the
the xr mod might not be the cheapest option although wraith knuckles and c hubs are cheap these days as are the shafts and the axial locker but the hole combo adds up in contrast if you break 2 or 3 cvds your close to the cost of the xrmod and you only do the xrmod once it realy is the only real fix for that style of axle i dont care if its redcat or axial both brands the only way to get reliable steering is with the xrmod

however if you dont over power the rig it should last ok with the stock parts but if your gona upgrade make it a real upgrade

Honestly, other than the axle shafts, I might have all the parts to do the narrow XR Mod already on hand. A few years ago, I was collecting parts for my sons og scx10 to do this and recently swapped scx10ii axles into his rig. I just have to do some digging around "thumbsup"

I went digging through my stash of axles and think I found what is needed to install a Narrow XR Mod front axle.

4EDFEAF4-FC51-4250-B1A7-69C6E5B31603.jpg

This has the brass and inserts and AR60 knuckles.

*EDIT*
Heck, with me adding all the aluminum and brass parts to my Gen8 AXE, I almost have all the parts to put my stock plastic portal axles in her rig. All I would really need is some axle shafts, lockers, ring & pinion gears and the gears in the portal housings. Not sure I want to do that yet, but it could be a viable option for later.

Last edited:
I went digging through my stash of axles and think I found what is needed to install a Narrow XR Mod front axle.

View attachment 398454

This has the brass and inserts and AR60 knuckles.

*EDIT*
Heck, with me adding all the aluminum and brass parts to my Gen8 AXE, I almost have all the parts to put my stock plastic portal axles in her rig. All I would really need is some axle shafts, lockers, ring & pinion gears and the gears in the portal housings. Not sure I want to do that yet, but it could be a viable option for later.
dude save some parts for the next truck lol

those axles would go under that honcho nicely humm lol

Last edited:
Back