• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

RC drifting, circa 2007 (TT01/TC3/NITRO RS4!)

Shinchu

I wanna be Dave
My name is shinchu, and im a driftaholic.

I had this big thing all typed up but, eh.
To summarize, i lived in japan from 2005 to 2008. Did lots of 1:1 and rc drifting.

Today i went to my storage unit and got one of my rubbermaid tubbs with my cars and brought it home. I have been inspired by everyones recent posts about TT02 and tc4.

Blah blah blah...

PICS!!!!!!!

my pride and joy, TT01R built on a budget and brought to USA for a drift comp where i lost horribly hahaha
P_20170922_192451.jpg

Replica body of my 1:1 s14 silvia. Its all they had until 2 years later yokomo finally released a kouki s14. I bought one right before i left japan, but still havent painted it. Here is the old... i think its an abc body? Wheels are wrong but all my wheels and scale goodies are in another box for later...
P_20170922_192330.jpg

And a really terrible s15 silvia body i got for cheap just for a drift comp since i knew it would get thrashed. And it did haha but i had a blast with the guys from groovydrift.com and i did awful but they were good sports about it since i came all the way from japan to the comp in orange county, ca.
The fugliest s15 ever to place 16th lol
P_20170922_192936.jpg

So then my wife wanted in. Scored a used associated tc3 from a member on groovydrift. Arrived rtr and i painted a beautiful hpi s15 body in lame flake purple with chrome hpi wheels.
P_20170922_192608.jpg

The flake is there but i didnt even dust these off. Will take better pics later in the sun.
P_20170922_192716.jpg

And then there is this monster. In a Quinten Terantino-esque flashback jumbled story, this thing was my first rc drift rig. Well, aside from a kyosho mini z but thats another story.
This hpi nitro rs4 came out right before the actual nitro rs4 drift version. I made due with what i had. Locked the diffs with epoxy, same as i did later with the tt01, bought drift tires, broke in the engine and slid like a madman at like 40mph! Super fun but, huge pita like everyone on groovydrift said it would be.
I last ran it in 2008, and didnt use post run to clean it so the engine is gummed and probably completely ruined. Anyway, here it is...

P_20170922_193152.jpg

And with the first shell i ever owned, it used to be red like my first 1:1 ae86, but i repainted it... with plastidip! To look like my flat black second 1:1 ae86.
P_20170922_193255.jpg

Then i put everything i had into painting this ae86 levin shell.
Its smoked champange with plastidipped bumpers. Tailights are painted with each section colored correctly, also smoked. Its not done yet and hasnt been mounted. I have plans for this guy soon...
P_20170922_193458.jpg

I just remembered, painted tailights is kinda my standard. I hate the stickers and the only car that has tailight decals is the black trueno. None have buckets but this levin will get the full treatment. Maybe even removable bumpers with underpanels.
P_20170922_193402.jpg

So there you have it. Shinchu. Drifter.
I might tinker with the tt01 and tc3 to update electronics, maybe give the tt01 to my son and try rwd converting the tc3 and tossing a scion frs body on it.

Big plans for the levin. Trying to as scale as possible, even with solid rear axle. I have a tamiya chassis in mind, and might try tossing a rc4wd yota axle under it.

So, where to start?
I think i need to decide on batteries? Maybe 2s for both? Yes. Going to need esc for both, brushless for the tc3 but sticking to brushed for the tt01. Then see what they need from there. Trying to stay cheap, these 2 are just for fun, like in the 1:1 drift lingo, "missile car" means like practice basher.

Thanks for reading! Will update here when i make progress... eventually.

Last edited:
Sure did! Now what to do with them...? Haha maybe i will throw the old batteries on my sons barrage charger (not the wall wart, got him a decent dynamite nimh charger) and hope they dont explode!

Pretty sure the esc on the tc3 is shot. And the old keyence on the tt01 has no reverse lol and the radio gear... hahaha its vintage!! Old am crystal stuff!
Well, not sure when i can make any progress but will post here if anything happens.
I think it will be
Batteries!!
Esc? X2? Motors?
Rwd convert the tc3 and get a gyro?

Oh drifting was, and still is a big part of my life. I could start a 1:1 thread and have just as many cars there lol

I have a cabinet burried in a downstairs closet that has some goodies. Might dig it out... now?!

Score!!!
This isnt even half of it!
Other stuff was there like yokomo detail kit that includes muffler mounts, mirrors, gt spoilers, hpi details kit with intercooler... tons more wheels!
Still missing a few things like my hpi vintage transam 8 spoke mag wheels that look just like 14 inch watanabe wheels, but i found tons more! My minty fresh s14 yokomo body still in the package... plenty to keep me busy!
I even found my kyosho mini z that i mentioned earlier!

Once i get these things running... oh man. So much good stuff!
I even found a spare brushed motr that came with my tt01r! Never used!!! Might pop it in my ascender just to get it running. Need to look up specs.

Pic of some of the booty! And yes those are highly sought after hpi t drift tires, mint in package!
P_20170923_090851.jpg

Wow, So I'm not the only person too own, keep and stock pile, more RC stuff, then I can ever use, its like Christmas sometimes when you find stuff, you completely forgot you own or where it even came from

or when your looking for something and can't find it, then the next time, you find what you were looking for the last time sitting in plain site, and that's how it is, you find all kinds of shit you weren't looking for

That how my stock pile works, its drives me nuts sometime

yeah i think i have another stash somewhere... impossible to find stuff when you move from a 2400 sq/ft house to a 1600 sq/ft military townhome. :(

i tried charging some of my old nimh packs on my old radio shack charger made for Tamiya plug packs (its kinda nice even has a temp sensor!) but i think the packs are shot. all 4 of them.
time to buy some new ones. then i will see whats going on with the running condition of both the TT01 and TC3. almost positive the ESC on the TC3 is shot, iirc. TT01 should be ready to rip, but the ESC has no reverse.

man i been eyeballing some new bodies and wheels... Pandora makes a SWEET AE86 Trueno that looks amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in high school there was a Corolla like that in my neighborhood and it sat in a driveway for years, I do remember leaving a note asking them if wanted to sell it, after I seen one with 4 Mikuni tuned 2 barrel carbs and it ripped

It sat there for years, then one day it was towed away, and then new people moved in and they parked a late 60's early 70's Saab, that sat for years in the same spot until they moved and the Saab was towed away

Last edited:
yes i have owned two and hope to own one again someday. They are just amazing machines to drive. Truly indiscribable, must drive yourself to understand completely.

Thats why i want to build a special ae86 chassis with solid rear yota axle to give the rc the feel and scale realism of the true solid axle design. But, thats another build for another thread at... a much more distant time lol

Score!!!
This isnt even half of it!
Other stuff was there like yokomo detail kit that includes muffler mounts, mirrors, gt spoilers, hpi details kit with intercooler... tons more wheels!
Still missing a few things like my hpi vintage transam 8 spoke mag wheels that look just like 14 inch watanabe wheels, but i found tons more! My minty fresh s14 yokomo body still in the package... plenty to keep me busy!
I even found my kyosho mini z that i mentioned earlier!

Once i get these things running... oh man. So much good stuff!
I even found a spare brushed motr that came with my tt01r! Never used!!! Might pop it in my ascender just to get it running. Need to look up specs.

Pic of some of the booty! And yes those are highly sought after hpi t drift tires, mint in package!

I have this bodyset for the Mini-Z:

lancia-stratos-sanremo-pirelli-kyosho_1_8560a6ec8cc1305e0cfed52c63905edf.jpg

Like I sid, I'm a huge Stratos fan...!

Nice Lancia!
I have what i think is the first release of mini z? Bought in 2001, sooo... yeah. Its got a red ae86 body, naturally lol
I should break it out. Should be just batteries and go!

I never bought the running gear,, lol.....

I found this Carbon Fiber chassis for the TT01 and its a $100 on Ebay

Is there a reason why the TT01 has the motor is on the left side of chassis and the TT02 has the motor on the right side of the chassis

Last edited:
I might have to buy me some of these adjustable body mounts for the TT01, the body post should be the same diameter as the TT02 body posts

Last edited:
Body pins SUCK.

sure they get the job done, but man they are hideous. I have used velcro, but i want to go magnets on everything now.

And thats a sweet chassis! Iirc, they changed the motor sides to help with... torque twist? Something like that. Sliding mine around, i remember from a dead stop it would pull... right? I gotta get it running to find out.

So kgb424 and i have been talking a LOT recently about TT02 stuff. he has put a TON of work into his setup. searching for parts, waiting for them, waiting some more, getting them, not fitting right. fabbing to make it fit. starting over...
all for the sake of getting more steering angle out of a RWD converted TT02.
its all made me a bit nervous about trying the same work on my TT01. i think i will keep it original, and let my son learn basics of RC Drift on 4wd platform (much easier to learn and control vs RWD w gyro).

i will most likely end up buying something ready to rock like a sakura D4 RWD or something from MST.
also, i do still plan on something very special for the AE86. i need most of a CC01 kit for that. *evil grin*

rest assured, i haven't forgotten about the drift stuff. its just on the back burner set for simmer while i continue unpacking in my new home, and i need to finish my tribute ascender before working on the drifters.
between all that and the holidays... bleh. it could be a while. but like i said... i haven't forgotten. just need some time. and money would help too lol

Hey Shinchu

How hard would it be to convert your RS4 Nitro to Electric and update it to run 3's Lipo's

Hey Shinchu

Once again I blame you, Cause I was looking for a Nitro RS4 to convert to electric and bought a brand new unassembled Tamiya TA04S kit instead

Its missing the stock 540 motor and the Stock ESC, the tires and wheels and the body

Its got the bearing kit, So I can assemble it, I got for $68 and $12.46 for shipping, it said buy it now and had 15 people watching it

Why didn't any of them pull the trigger, I contacted the seller he verified the bearing kit was there, its in the B parts bag and you can see a bearing in the kit picture, The guy has a 100% feedback, I can see why

So I scored for $80.46, cause its a 2001 kit so the motor and ESC would of been for a 7.2v Mimh battery pack

It has a 257mm wheelbase so I can use my Subaru STI WRX body and has the same wheelbase as both my TA02 and TT02

The guy kept the original Corvette body, which got trashed and is long gone, it would been nice to have the body, shit happens

And its belt driven so if I did 4 Wheel Drift it, there would be no Torque Steering like a shaft driven 4 Wheel drive Drift setup

And of course the Yeah Baby !!

Last edited:
Back