• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

question concerning my SCX6 Honcho (steering) ?

TacoCrawler

I wanna be Dave
So I'm still using the stock Spektrum TX/RX on my SCX6.
But I've installed some Proline S.S tires and 2.9" alloy wheels.
Would seem the tires rub the shock spring on one side (I forget which side),
but not so much on the other side !?
Will I need to employ my newly acquired FS GT5 and limit the steering throw
on the one side to minimize this rub ? (EPA)

Obviously the wheels/tires are centered for steering straight.
Is the steering linkage set up wrong ?
Or is this an issue of not having EPA adjustments on the stock RTR transmitter ?

I'll figure it out... but thought to ask incase somebody else might know ?

You need to adjust your panhard bar length so the axle is centered at ride hight

Oh. But I thought the Vitavon panhard bar has no adjustment that I see ?
Granted I have yet to install that. And so I will try to adjust the stock panhard bar to verify if that is so.

The rub was not noticed until I installed these Proline S.S.'s. Granted they have protruding lugs on the tire's sidewalls.
Though it still could have been dang close with the stock wheels. ?

Might explain why one of my shocks was leaking from the lower cartridge after becoming loose ?

Is this a factory flaw ? Or an incorrect adjustment ?

Maybe the Vitavon panhard bar corrects for this issue ?

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to the panhard part of my scx6 honcho build yet so I can't really help with the scx6 specific tuning but a 3 link is a 3link
I installed the Vitavon front alloy steering C hubs & knuckles
Along with the Vitavon alloy steering links and panhard rod.
The good news is the the rub on the shock seems to be gone.
But the primary steering linkage seems a little bit more toed in then I think it should be.
Either way it is what it is. Until I remove it and put the stock lower (adjustable) linkage back on.
But I'll likely leave it on for now. And at least test it and see how much toe in scrub is gives me
and if that's a disadvantage.
I think the shock springs are way too stiff. And the ride height too tall.
(tho' I've no idea if they offer softer/optional shock springs ?)
I prefer a more neutral spring with less ride height.
But at least the shock is no longer rubbing. (time to top off the leaking shock)

The instruction manual shows 2 different springs in a diagram on page 54 front and rear ?
And then the part list #'s conflict with that ?
The parts list shows the softer spring rate is 2.3 (front) as being AXI253005 ? And they list a 3.0 spring rate (rear) as AXI253007.
And then they show on page 54 a part# that is not seen in the parts list ? AXI253008 and I've no idea what that rate is ?
But I'll assume it's higher then AXI253007 ?
The diagram on page 54 shows AXI253007 @ 2.3 rate (font) and AXI253008 @ 3.0 rate (rear)
But the parts list reads = AXI253005 as the 2.3 rate and AXI253006 as the 30 rate spring.
(^ I can't tell whether it's a 1 or I in the part #'s after the AX. So I used I)

What's the deal ? This is driving me nuts.

Why does this SCX6 have a heavier rated spring spring for the rear then the font ?
In an attempt to keep the front end down when climbing ?

Would it be safe to assume the lightest spring rate available is 2.3 ?

Last edited:
Here's a link to a thread regarding spring rates, post 11 and 14.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/larg...ull-mods-free-mods-3d-prints.html#post6106016

Last time I checked Amain had most of the optional springs and they do note the spring rates for each.

A stiffer spring in the back is normal. I does keep the rig from tipping over backwards sooner
Thanks for the heads up on A-main but they only had what options already exist.
And according to another the best coil offered is the Orange 3.0 rate.
Much too stiff IMO. For a crawler.
And yet I read of nothing that speaks about oil viscosity ?
I'm tempted to lower the spring rate and up the oil viscosity.
I'm not a basher per say. And I don't like travel limiting sway bars on a crawler neither.
If I were a basher though, then sway bars would likely be my call for duty.

So I'll thank you for your input regardless of my opinions.

I'm having the same issue figuring out the springs. I think the parts diagram has an error listing AXI253008 as the front, which doesn't exist, and AXI253007 as the rear - red which is what I do have.

My front, however, is silver and is stiffer than the red rear. I could see in RCdriver_online's honcho that he has the same as me. Neither are remotely 'green'. Maybe 008 really is silver and google just can't find it and the parts diagram is wrong.

Anyway - did you figure this out at some point? At least they are easy to try one way then switch around. I'll probably just order a second set of purples anyway but annoying anyway.

Back