• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Project Road Rogue - SCX10 II - Build Thread

DeltronZero

This is my first crawler build. I built a drone last year but before that my last RC was a 1/10 Timaya Mudlblaster when I was younger. I still l have it in storage somewhere.

uc

Concept

I started looking into RC trucks and came across this forum. Picked up a SCX10.2 kit. The kit went together smoothly with the right tools.

I wanted a unique hard shell to customize. Armored military look is what I was going for and found this.

Radio Shack Road Rogue 1/10 R/C Tank

uc

uc

Parts:
Axial SCX10 II kit
Tires - Pitbull Rock Beast XL 1.9
Wheels - Gearhead Trail King derlin ez-loc beadlock 1.9 -.250 offset
Front bumper - Axial AX9002 Trail Honcho
Rear bumper - Axial AX80126 Poison Spyder/JK /Tire Carrier
Body mounts - Integy spring loaded 82mm front / Stock rear / Magnets

Future Parts / To do list:
Motor - Holmes Puller Pro 540 3500kv motor
ESC - Holmes TrailMaster BLE Pro
Servo - Holmes SHV500 brushless 12v
Aluminum replacements
Lighting
replacement for sliders/rails (yes they are reversed in images)
custom roof/rear rack
new shocks? or paint
widen stance?

Body-
cut/narrow side pieces or leave removed?
rear barrel mount cut or keep?
patch or hide extra hatch opening
strip paint
bonding and braces
sanding
paint/scheme

Body Fitment

Rear barrel and side tanks were modular and removed. The wheelbase was short around 10 inches and decided to keep the stock 12.3 wheelbase. Stretching the body was the other option. I made a rough digital rendering to see if its possible and where to cut. Still expensive but had some luck and two were purchased off ebay at $60 each.

After some research and tutorials I took my time with a dremel/tape cutting down in stages. Instead of a straight cut I had to cut a Z pattern to add the length. Some more detail work with needle files is needed to make the fit closer. Front bumper raised and body will sit slightly higher when magnets are attached to the body. I had second thoughts while cutting but at this early stage I think it will be worth it in the end.

uc

uc

uc

More to come, the body will be a slow process as time and experience is an issue

I appreciate any input / tips / recommendations.

Last edited:
Very cool idea. This is so unique. I can't wait to see it come together. Subscribed.

What are you using to bond the body halves together MEK, platistruct glue?

Very cool idea. This is so unique. I can't wait to see it come together. Subscribed.

What are you using to bond the body halves together MEK, platistruct glue?

I plan on using Loctite epoxy plastic bonder with fiberglass mesh. Maybe make some plastic braces from the leftover parts.

You may want to browse around the paint and body section, there's a lot of success using MEK and other plastic "welding" solutions that melt the parts together.

Back