• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Project Lasernut for cheap

Pagu

Hello!
I like 1/9 scale rigs (scx10, trailfinder etc are actually 1/9-1/8.5 scale) and think about rock racer for a long time.
When i saw zd racing dbx-10 for a first time, i thought it reminds me armada engineering lasernut ultra4, but it looks toyish. Losi lasernut is much better, but it is too big and its proportions are off too.
Then i found out 1/1 lasernut dimensions and got a plan to rework dbx-10.

1:1 lasenut
wheelbase 3000mm
width 2286mm

dbx-10
wheelbase 290mm
width 265mm

Also i measured dbx-10 and lasernut photos - dbx-10 cage is something like 1/9

So i decided to buy the cheapest one for near 130$ and rework it.

dbx-10 side view:
-S3LRVwyffU.jpg

What dbx-10 dimensions are off:
1) Wheelbase is too short. I made new deck, wheelbase is +15mm for front axle and +20mm for rear axle. Deck is styrene now, maybe i will make aluminum one.
2) Cage is too low, rised it for 23mm front and 17mm rear
3) Reassembled front and rear suspension. Shocks are inside wheelbase now. I put in front something like hpi monster shocks. They have more travel (100mm length) and they are thin, so i dont have to rework steering. It fits perfect.

What i got now:
K25pn96oDsA.jpg

ftbwy943lCY.jpg

YwYdSyyfwsE.jpg

All dimensions i get are just perfect, just +- few millimeters from what i predicted.

Next steps:
Throw in trx-4 transmission with brushless electronics. Going to use ezrun-sc8 + tensock rc906 1750kv. But if i will not be satisfied with low speed control, ill buy QuicRun Fusion 1200kv
Maybe put scale 1.9 wheels and tires for better crawling (thats why this thread is here).

Last edited:
Compared different electronics smoothness on the lowest throttle (subtrim):

• ezrun wp 80a + 1150kv outrunner + 2s lipo gives ~10 rounds per second

• blheli32 + 1150kv outrunner + 2s lipo ~ 2 rounds per second

• QuicRun Fusion SE 1200KV + 2s lipo ~ 0.5 rounds per second

Sensorless hobbywing esc is not very smooth.
blheli32 is pretty good, i didnt flash it to am32.
With fusion you actually dont need 2-speed transmission at all even on rock-racer.

Not sure what to choose... Maybe fusion with 2s or 3s with 1-speed tranny, because 2-speed has a slop i dont actually like.

blheli32+outrunner would be ok on slow leaf-spring truck.

Good Idea, the Lasernut is a great looking buggy.

Get crazy with a Mamba X with a Sensored Castle motor. Smooth and Fast alway a blast...

Yeah i like how the Lasernut looks too.
It would be great to throw in portals, but i dont want to overcomplicate this project.

Suspension works very good. Proper stiffness, very smooth and good travel.
Dropped it on the floor from 1 meter height and got completely no bounce.
A7lTCjbh6fw.jpg

Installed hw fusion 1200kv, copy of traxxas 2-speed transmission and 2s lipo:
qOwJOjRHy5c.jpg

I calculated max speed, its near 22 km/h on the 2nd gear and 9 km/h on the 1st gear.
It has pretty good low speed on the 2nd gear and crazy on the 1st gear. I think i dont need so slow crawling.
Going to use 1-speed transmission. It has no slop and it is good to put away one excess servo.
Scx-10 transmission gives too much of reduction, so i will try to put back stock one (just a central shaft with spur on it and a mount for motor with pinion).

Last edited:
Hello! Made some updates.

As i installed longer deck (wheelbase is +15mm for front axle and +10mm for rear axle now), i made longer central shaft. I used 5mm steel brake line tube and 2mm steel rod for pins. Rear end is just cut, front end has this shape for smooth work:
S8uwg6t0_PA.jpg

Here is installed new shaft and old one. Also i reinforced deck to make it more rigid:
J2oHpNgSIoY.jpg

Also made new steering. It is not flawless setup, but it works. Will rework it if needed:
Fjgj5IpSnjg.jpg

Last edited:
My goal is - scale rock racer Armada engineering lasernut. I correct look and proportions of very cheap model and tune it for better crawling. Suspension travel and low speed control are very good now.

Maybe someone on low budget will find this thread useful. Nothing special, i understand that experienced forum users will not find it interesting.

My goal is - scale rock racer Armada engineering lasernut. I correct look and proportions of very cheap model and tune it for better crawling.
Why would anybody want a rock racer to crawl ??

Maybe someone on low budget will find this thread useful. Nothing special, i understand that experienced forum users will not find it interesting.
Budget ?? 200$ car +120$ body+ 100$ electronics ?? Why not buy the original for a bit more ??:lmao:

Last edited:
Why would anybody want a rock racer to crawl ??
I think rock racer should crawl over big rocks. Am i wrong? I dont mean competition crawler for sure. And its not competition rock racer. Its a scale hobby rock racer.

Car is 135$ (brushed version), esc+motor HW fusion is 65$ (aliexpress sales + coupon).
120$ body
I have no idea what are you talking about.

Why not buy the original for a bit more ??:lmao:
What is original? Losi? Maybe it is not bad basher. But it is 1/8-1/7 model and has wrong proportions compared to real lasernut.
I want scale looking lasrnut close to 1/9, because scx10 and others are near 1/9.

Back