• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Powder coating and you!

I picked up that same pc system from Harbor Freight about a month ago and a toaster oven from the goodwill, paid $35 for the coater and $7 for the oven. I love it, I've been powder coating everything. I just white powder coated some tlt shocks I turned down for turtles scale rig the other day, just add some rancho stickers and they are sweet.

I remember seeing you mention that price. Even though we had that sidewalk sale too, we never got that price. Still worth every penny though.

Cloak said:
I remember seeing you mention that price. Even though we had that sidewalk sale too, we never got that price. Still worth every penny though.

That wasn't even at the parking lot sale we had, it was just on clearence for some reason. I'm not complaining though.:lol:

Cloak said:
Are you setting the tuber on the grille at the bottom or are you suspending it?

It was suspended when I sprayed it and when I baked it. It swung a little and touched the side of the oven and wiped the powder off in two spots before it cured. So I'm making a litle jig that will bolt to the link mounting holes for the rest of the tubers I make.

Here's the tuber all put together: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64515&highlight=coles

"thumbsup"

I'm posting this up for MGS511 since he was here at the house today. I'm sure DoubleJ will love this. This was the 100% glossy black.

vert_smile2_resize.jpg

I have to agree that a convection oven might mess with your finnish as it blows air around to evenly cook food and air movmentis not a good thing when PCing. Now if you want a little bigger oven that a toster oven can give and still be on 110v. You could go the route I/we did for ours on a lot smaller scale. You will need 2 toster ovens a metal box of some sort (an old full size oven might work) and depeding on the box you find or make some fire proof concrete board. and there you will have a larger PCing oven. If I can find a older toster oven I will do a build on one to show how to do it.

Steve

When we did that vertical smile chassis, that thing came out real nice. Smooth as can be with the convecting currents turned off. I did up my tuber last night and it came out smooth as well (well as smooth as my choppy looking tuber could look). ;)

I find that that gloss I picked up off ebay is much more forgiving with the quantity of powder you put on there. Plus I'm getting better at it.

I'm going to plan for a large 220 oven in my new garage near the end of the year. We signed the paperwork on our new house being built on Sunday. That has a nice workshop... I mean 3 car garage. "thumbsup"

my wife and i picked up a full size kitchen oven from the Arc thrift store for 20 bucks... works too... its old school, but it works!

I have a Eastwood pc gun and I have been coating car parts for awhile. I am working on smoothing out my cage I built for my Nylint Jeep. I hope it turns out good then I will coat the tube chassis I am building for my other project. It is pretty easy when you clean the parts well and I recommend preheating all parts that are to be powdercoated.

I powdercoat at work. (metal fab, Sign Shop) Have not got around to powering my crawler stuff yet. 1 important tip. If you recoat you must sand the 1st coat. Treat powder coating like painting. Shoot a light coat, Bake, sand and repeat. Will look better. You can recoat while the powder is still hot if you are using a zinc primer then color. Basicly if it cools, you must sand before 2nd coat. Anyway Good luck to all.

Here is a bit of information.....

Denatured alcohol leaves a flim behind !!!!! Not good for bonding anything, I deal with high tech/high tack adhesives and such so as any impurity with the glue will make it react differently and the film from denatured will create a barrier that will not allow particles to penetrate it in some circumstances. Pick up ISOPROPAL(SP) 97% for a buck at the drug store and avoid costly mistakes

Back